Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defer for a year

Options
  • 17-08-2010 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I hate this country. Just found out that I won't be able to claim tax back on my fees because I haven't worked in 20 months and have no tax credits. And because I already have a degree (which I must point out isn't worth the paper its printed on, just in case anyone thinks I'm trying to get a free ride out of the system for a second qualification), I don't qualify for a grant or BTEA. So basically the government would rather I ride out this recession sitting on my arse on the dole. :cool: I'm going to have to defer the course I worked my butt off to get into (and have been so looking forward to the last few months, it's been all that's been keeping me going really) and that's only if I can; they may not let me and I'll have to apply all over again next year and might not even get it. I hate this country.

And please don't think I'm a lazy bum trying to get a free ride through college. I worked my way through college the first time and planned on doing the same this time....except I can't get work. And no way is the credit union going to give me a loan without work to pay it back and the little bit I've managed to save while on the dole would barely cover the registration fees. I don't see any option other than another year in this hell of unemployment.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just disappointed (maybe gutted would be a better word), frustrated and angry. I hate this country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Marvel80

I am pretty much in the same position as you so don't worry rant on! Only difference is I have been working (albeit part-time for the last 12 mths) so will be able to claim the tax relief but havnt been able to save much at all.
    I have been granted the deferral for next year so am under pressure now to find a 2nd job to cover the fees. Even at that its about €9000 per year just for fees excluding living costs for the year so I really dont know how i will afford it all...
    I never got a free ride the first time, my parents paid for everything and I worked also so as I have been working solid for 7 years do feel hard done by as I have been paying into the system and have never gotten anything back! But if you want to do it and get a Qualification that improves your life and employability this is what needs to be done I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

It is a little soul destroying isn't it? To spend four years broke in college and working your arse off in crappy jobs just to pay rent and get enough money together to feed yourself toast and rice crispies not to mention the many sleepless nights spent sitting up to finish assignments because you didn't have time to do them because you were working too many hours just to support yourself and you still can't get a job out of it. My brother who didn't finish his leaving was right. He went straight into construction, spent years earning fantastic money and now that all of that work has dried up is planning on going back to college with every sort of concession imaginable. I don't begrudge it to him mind but it was hard enough for me first time around and it's going to be damn near impossible now. And there's still no guarantee that it'll all be worth it. I HATE this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

fionav3 wrote: »
    I hate this country. Just found out that I won't be able to claim tax back on my fees because I haven't worked in 20 months and have no tax credits. And because I already have a degree (which I must point out isn't worth the paper its printed on, just in case anyone thinks I'm trying to get a free ride out of the system for a second qualification), I don't qualify for a grant or BTEA. So basically the government would rather I ride out this recession sitting on my arse on the dole. :cool: I'm going to have to defer the course I worked my butt off to get into (and have been so looking forward to the last few months, it's been all that's been keeping me going really) and that's only if I can; they may not let me and I'll have to apply all over again next year and might not even get it. I hate this country.

And please don't think I'm a lazy bum trying to get a free ride through college. I worked my way through college the first time and planned on doing the same this time....except I can't get work. And no way is the credit union going to give me a loan without work to pay it back and the little bit I've managed to save while on the dole would barely cover the registration fees. I don't see any option other than another year in this hell of unemployment.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just disappointed (maybe gutted would be a better word), frustrated and angry. I hate this country.

Are you not long enough on the dole to claim BTEA?

Are you not long enough on the dole to claim BTEA?

I don't qualify for BTEA because I already have a degree. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I was looking at BTEA, but it's only for people who want to go into education full time. I want to do an evening degree and continue to look for work during the day. If I find work, I have no objection to paying back the money spent on the degree on some sort of pro rata basis.

I just don't understand why that isn't possible and why they prefer to keep me out of the workforce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Is there anyone that can help you pay the fee's fionav? Obviously,Banks and goverment are waste of time for people like us at mo.
    Maybe try and work out some sort of Loan system with your parents or one of you friends?

I have worked out a loan system with my sister for next year who will pay my fee's and il pay her back. I think if people know you really want to do the course and it will give you better qualifications then they will be willling to help.

As for part time jobs throughout college one suggestion is nursing homes. The care industry is always looking for workers,recession or no recession. Generally the pay is minimum wage,but the hours are flexible and work is quite satisfying. Manual Handling courses are only abou €100 which will give you the necessary qualifications to work as a carer.

Also as others suggested yesterday there is options out there to study abroad.There's a university in Toulouse that gives funding to Irish students.Just try not to despair and look at other options opened to you.

I was looking at BTEA, but it's only for people who want to go into education full time. I want to do an evening degree and continue to look for work during the day. If I find work, I have no objection to paying back the money spent on the degree on some sort of pro rata basis.

I just don't understand why that isn't possible and why they prefer to keep me out of the workforce.

It would be difficult to do a degree while working.

I don't qualify for BTEA because I already have a degree. :(

Just out of curiosity, why not use your current degree to pursue a career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

It would be difficult to do a degree while working.
    Absolutely. However, I did a diploma in the last couple of years and I'm noticing in job ads that degrees are becoming the standard and it's time that I got one. Evening classes would suit me fine as that's how I got the diploma.

Absolutely. However, I did a diploma in the last couple of years and I'm noticing in job ads that degrees are becoming the standard and it's time that I got one. Evening classes would suit me fine as that's how I got the diploma.

A degree is a lot tougher than a Dip, so perhaps to advance with full potential it amy be worth giving the degree your all! i.e. if possible do it fulltime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Such a shame to have to defer/re-apply next year when you've already been accepted. maybe you could get a loan from family member/student loan/credit union? Remember the tax back would have been less than 20%. So say €1000 back from €6000. Could you get a loan for the remainder that your savings doesn't cover?

That said, you don't want to be stressing over money all the time, would deferring for a year help you to save a bit more and be in a better positon for next year?

Also someone mentioned care work, rates are usually excellent, could be 10-14€ an hour, depending on agency/location/experience. Well worth looking into and very flexible hours etc.

panda100 wrote: »
    Is there anyone that can help you pay the fee's fionav? Obviously,Banks and goverment are waste of time for people like us at mo.
    Maybe try and work out some sort of Loan system with your parents or one of you friends?

My mum is a single parent and trying to put my younger brother through school, she'd never have that kind of money to help me and there really is no one else I can go to...most of my family worked in construction as general labourers so they've been hit hard by the recession.
    Just out of curiosity, why not use your current degree to pursue a career.

Current degree is English and completely impractical with regards employment. Finished college seven years ago and the best job I manged to get in that length of time was working as a receptionist in a solicitors office for minimum wage in Dublin (had to take on a weekend job just to pay rent and pay off my student loan). Worked my butt off in college for four years and have nothing to show for it, I'm sorry I ever went at all. And have spoken to several old college professors who advised against pursuing a career in this area because (and I quote) I'm "basically waiting for someone to die for a position to become available" not to mention that this country is bloated with humanaties graduates in the same position as me. Most of my graduating class are in a similar position to me and are going back to retrain except they have parents that they can go to for help with fees.
    Feu wrote: »
    Such a shame to have to defer/re-apply next year when you've already been accepted. maybe you could get a loan from family member/student loan/credit union? Remember the tax back would have been less than 20%. So say €1000 back from €6000. Could you get a loan for the remainder that your savings doesn't cover?

That said, you don't want to be stressing over money all the time, would deferring for a year help you to save a bit more and be in a better positon for next year?

Have only saved 2400 so would have had to get loan anyway to pay off the remainder of my fees. I have no problem with that because I've been expecting it since I applied for college (if I get a loan that is :( ). What's made me so angry is dicovering that I can't claim back some of that money through tax. That €1000 euro is a butt load of money to me. I've worked since I was 14 (and right through college) and now that I can't get work, there's nothing there for me. Really makes me resent this country and the idea of defering for another year makes me want to kill myself! I've been unemployed for 20 months (and I've tried care homes, my aunt works in one and tried to get me work there but they just weren't hiring) and the idea of another year unemployed and searching for work is enough to drive me off my head! I hate being unemployed and I'm tired of feeling like a useless bum. I knew when I got college that things would be horribly tight financially (eat, bah! Who needs food? :rolleyes:) but I had hoped to have even part time work by now (I don't, despite my best efforts) and I was really, really banking on that tax back to help me this year. Even with it, it's going to be tough financially but without it I'm screwed and haven't a hope of affording college. Sounds dramatic but plan was; first installment of fees €4450 pay using savings and loan of 2000. Pay half loan back using tax back money while paying the rest of loan off using money from part time work all the while saving for second installment of fees. Second installment of fees in january €2280; would have saved around 800 so would be looking for a loan of 1400 (would have paid for loan back by this time). Pay back loan while working and pay off remainder with what ever small amount of tax back I get from those fees. Use summer to work and start saving for same dance all over again.

See my dilemma? I have no way of affording this without that tax back. And its hard getting loans now, I'll be lucky to get the bit I'm looking for without having to ask for that extra 1000. :(

And thanks to everyone for the advice. I really do appreciate it. If I come across as whingy or ungratful, I'm sorry. I'm just really disappointed and frustrated and can't even begin to put into words just how much I HATE this country. Feel like I'm being jipped no matter what way I turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I know how you feel. Going back to college this year and been to college already, so not entitled to anything.

I remember failing an exam and doing it again a year after, just so il have something to show after 3 years. I read now that i would be entitled to something if i didn't complete college 6 years ago. Why did i do that last exam? I only barely scaped a pass and it means nothing to me. But that doesn't matter because i already hold a qualification.

Im lucky in a way that i can do a plc course rather than a degree, so thats one less thing to worry about but i do still have living expenses and once my savings runs out, im on my own and if i hear another negative fcker tell me i wont get a job in this recession il shoot them.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Martina05

I agree its a total bitch. I got made redundant over a year ago while pregnant, & so obviously nobody would employ me. Then I got offered a place in UCC so I was over the moon, at last a glimmer of hope. Then found out I wasn't eligible for BTEA as I wasn't technically on social welfare for 12 months, due to mat benefit. Then couldn't get a grant as my partners wages are outside reckonable income bracket (doesn't seem to matter all his wages are taken by the mortgage). So I've asked for a deferral & hope to God I get a job fast that'll allow me to save up for next year.

fionav, really feel for you, its just an impossibly frustrating situation. I feel like I've been blocked at every turn & when my partner was offered a job in the US a few months ago I wouldn't hear of it. My mind is changing very fast, I just want to get out of this bloody country

Martina, sorry to hear you have to defer. :(

I had good news today. I got my loan (yipee!) and found out that my brother (who works full time) can pay my fees in his name (I'll be giving him the money) and claim back the tax so I am absolutely delighted! I won't have to defer after all, I'm so happy. :)

Thats fantastic, congrats!!! it's actually arts I've deferred, and I'm thinking it probably isn't so bad as everyone I've spoken to says its pretty much a useless degree. Ah well!!

Martina05 wrote: »
    Thats fantastic, congrats!!! it's actually arts I've deferred, and I'm thinking it probably isn't so bad as everyone I've spoken to says its pretty much a useless degree. Ah well!!

It is, there's a glut of arts graduates in this country. My original degree is in English and Media and is pretty much an arts degree in all but name and I couldn't get work in this area even before the recession hit!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Martina05 wrote: »
    I agree its a total bitch. I got made redundant over a year ago while pregnant, & so obviously nobody would employ me. Then I got offered a place in UCC so I was over the moon, at last a glimmer of hope. Then found out I wasn't eligible for BTEA as I wasn't technically on social welfare for 12 months, due to mat benefit. Then couldn't get a grant as my partners wages are outside reckonable income bracket (doesn't seem to matter all his wages are taken by the mortgage). So I've asked for a deferral & hope to God I get a job fast that'll allow me to save up for next year.

this is a typical case. the BTEA as far as I know is the same rate as jobseekers allowance. so if you cant finance college you have to drop out and go on the doel??? its so stupid. it would be better off if they payed it regardless of how long long your on the doel!!!!!!!!!

I've heard of a lot of people in this situation this week. Is it just me or is the government practically forcing people to stay on the dole.

• Advertisement

I'm in a similar situation to the op and was just looking for some advice/guidance.

I was planning to go back to uni this year to do a H.Dip in Social Policy as a conversion course as ultimately I want to apply to the Masters in Social work. There was 10 people going for every 1 place so it was a pretty difficult course to get on to.

I was hoping to get a maintenance grant to cover my fee's and rent but I'm not eligible for it under this new three year rule. I haven't any savings as Im paying back a loan from my undergrad and so all my extra money goes into that. I've lined up jobs in Cork which will just cover my rent and living expenses. But the more I think about it the more expenses keep piling up, car insurance,tax,nct is due,loan repayments......the list is endless. My course will be a full time and even If I work three full days,it will just about cover everything.

I've been so worried about my finances that I didn't formally accept the course and didn't put down €500 deposit on it. I assured the course admin though that I will definatly take the place,its just a matter of sorting a few things out.

Anyways, there is two things Im worried about

1) If I wait a year, Il be 29 when starting my h.dip and that means I'll be 32 by the time I qualify as a social worker. Its the field ive wanted to work in for the last few years now and I keep on having to put it off due to financial constraints. Most people are building up ther careers in their 20's but without the qulaifications and educational background I've found it impossible to break into the social sphere. Im tired of doing mundane jobs that are just paying the rent and not getting me anywhere career wise. 32 seems so late to be starting off in a career and I feel that waiting another year is going to be one less year of experience when working as a social worker.

2) There is a huge waiting list for this course and I informed the course admin that I was defintely taking the place. Would it be a really poor reflection on me If I asked to defer, after saying I would take the place. Would I even be allowed to defer? I don't want to risk giving up my place and not getting onto the course next year?

Any advice would be much appreciated! My head is completly fuzzled!

well, first off, don't worry about your age. I have friends about to start uni as mature student nurses....and some are in their early 40's. I would say the admissions offices are very understanding of the financial circumstances of many students this year. Talk to them (immediately) & tell them your situation, they'll work something out. But I would think time is a big factor here, get on it asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Sounds like you really want this - like so many of us maturies you've probably thought so much about this and you're so ready to start your course!

I understand where you're coming from, but being completely financially stressed may not put you in the right position to take best advantage of your place this year. You want it to be right, because then you'll learn more and get more out of it.

That said, if you are going to defer for a year, you should try to make the most of it. Will you be able to save a little this year? Not much point in deferring if you're just going to be in the same position this time next year. if you're going to defer, you should make a plan, and line up your ducks to be in a really good place for next year. Just my suggestion! * a mundane job can be the most amazing job if its helping you get to your goal. Lame i know, but true!

as Martina ^ mentioned, if you're gonna defer, get on it immediately, that will definitely appear better, than fiddling them around.

finally, as to the age thing, well, this is the mature/non trad student forum!!!! Yes, you will be 32 when you're qualified, but if you know it's what you want to do, you're in a far better position than a 22 yo who doesn't know what the hell they're at, and even whether they want to be doing it or not! [no offence to any youngies!] I'll be 30 qualifying, and tbh i'll prob be working til i'm 70 - that's a good 40 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

panda100 wrote: »
    Anyways, there is two things Im worried about

1) If I wait a year, Il be 29 when starting my h.dip and that means I'll be 32 by the time I qualify as a social worker. Its the field ive wanted to work in for the last few years now and I keep on having to put it off due to financial constraints. Most people are building up ther careers in their 20's but without the qulaifications and educational background I've found it impossible to break into the social sphere. Im tired of doing mundane jobs that are just paying the rent and not getting me anywhere career wise. 32 seems so late to be starting off in a career and I feel that waiting another year is going to be one less year of experience when working as a social worker.

2) There is a huge waiting list for this course and I informed the course admin that I was defintely taking the place. Would it be a really poor reflection on me If I asked to defer, after saying I would take the place. Would I even be allowed to defer? I don't want to risk giving up my place and not getting onto the course next year?

Any advice would be much appreciated! My head is completly fuzzled!

Honestly, don't worry about the age thing as Feu and Martha have already stated. You'll be a young mature student!! :) Yeah, I guess its not the usual way of doing things but you are aiming for a course/profession you want to do rather than sticking to the same mundane job you hate forever!! It's definitely takes courage to go back as a mature student.

Get onto the college straight away and explain your situation. Be honest with them. You won't be the first person to say finances aren't looking the greatest, especially these days. You'll be more prepared next year and won't have the added stress of this financial burden hanging over your head. Give you more time to worry about other things like assignments and whether to go for a pint or not. :)
    I'll be 30 qualifying, and tbh i'll prob be working til i'm 70 - that's a good 40 years :D

I say this all the time! Tis true. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Marvel80

I totally agree with everyone else here, age is but a number and you work long enough in life for you to be stuck in a job you hate. I have deferred for the year and when i start next year i will be 31, the course I'm going to do is 4 years long so 35 when i finish. If doing this makes me in anyway happier in my work life then im glad to do it as it is where you spend most of your time anyway! :D Best of luck too all and fingers crossed for a big lotto win, you never know :P it could be you!

Yes Marvel, I've been doing the lotto every week just in case :)

Thnaks for the advice guys, I just emailed the course admin to explain the situation a bit. I have been thinking and hoping that the Student Assistance fund may help me out a bit but I've learned not to rely on these things ever since I got rejected for the grant.

I guess its the loan repayments that are the killer at the mo. Intrests on my loan was ridicuously high, and If I default on even one payment AIB threatens to close down my account.Its difficult to save when your having to give 350 a month to the bank. Trying to negotiate with a bank at the moment is like pulling teeth from a tiger!

I guess your all right about the age thing. I am just being ageist. For a lot fo these qualification courses such as social work or medicine there is lots of mature students. I should't let societal pressures of what is expected at certain ages deter me from following the career path Im passionate about!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is an option do to this is alot of the colleges atm - eg, http://www.ncirl.ie/News/Free_College_Places_for_Unemployed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

It is, there's a glut of arts graduates in this country. My original degree is in English and Media and is pretty much an arts degree in all but name and I couldn't get work in this area even before the recession hit!

Oh poo, I just started an arts degree. Bottom of the Shannon here I come :(

Oh poo, I just started an arts degree. Bottom of the Shannon here I come :(

I'm sorry, I don't mean to dishearten anyone studying Arts; from experience, I know it is a difficult degree that requires a lot of hard work to do well. Unfortunately, we're living in a country where employment is scarce and employers aren't looking too kindly upon graduates without 'practical skills.' :cool: Depending on what side of the arts you study (and if you decide to do a postgrad), you could be very successful. I studied English and Media, neither of which have very good employment prospects in the current climate.

• Advertisement

I understand where you're coming from, but being completely financially stressed may not put you in the right position to take best advantage of your place this year. You want it to be right, because then you'll learn more and get more out of it.

I've been thinking about it and have decided to defer for these reasons. I want to be able to put my all into my study and with my finances the way they are Im just going to be stressed and worried.

Its crazy how these things work out but I've been offered two well paid jobs in an area that will stand to me when applying for social work. I'l be able to save at least €500 a month,If I really restrict my spendings,so i know im defiantely making the right decisions. The age thing really is irrelevant I think,though my family keeps telling me its not+im old :(

I was just wondering what is the best way to go about deferring?

I feel so bad telling them Im not taking the place after assuring them I will be taking it. I'll be in UCC tomorrow so shall I go in person to the course admin? I think they also may have booked flights for me to go on a study leave trip abroad as part of the course, shall I offer to pay for these flights??

Advertisement