Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this Good Value, DSLR?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Canon, Nikon & Sony are the three main systems.

All are good, but you should look at which system suits you best rather than a one off camera purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Super5onic

You cant beat Canon and Nikon..Sony wouldnt be my cup of tea (they should stick to making TVs and leave photography to the experts - likewise with Panasonic)

If you are relatively new to photography try the Fuji HS10. 30xzoom fixed lens (but you still get more than both lenses with the Sony)

I know for a fact that it will be available early Sept for €399 with 2gb card and case in most stores.

Only down side is the AA batteries

I would also avoid Argos (nightmare customer service).

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Thanks for the replys. I had a look into the Fuji. It looks impressive all right, didnt know anything about them before. Anywhere you would recommend to purchase. Im not from Dublin, but go up regularly,
    Cheers

Wait until mid sept....Price going down in most retailers..Should be €399 max with case and card. Think its €389 at the moment in Argos but thats camera only

And any retailer that stocks Fuji should be able to get it for you. There wont be much price difference from retailer to retailer...Maybe €10 cheaper in Dublin

• Advertisement

I done a good bit of reading up on this camera and other bridge cameras. I think I think I'll spend an extra couple of hundred euro and get an entry DSLR. Picture quality and the lack of ability to upgrade lenses etc. being the main reasons. Anyone know of any good offers on at the minute, don't mind a model that has been out for a year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I was in the same position as you a few weeks ago. I ruled out Sony really because there seem to be more lenses available for Canon and Nikon, especially on the used market. I eventually went for the Canon 500d based on reviews. There seems to be a drawback to the Nikon 3000/5000 that older lenses won't autofocus on them so that swayed me.
    Check out adverts.ie. I got my 500d there for a lot less than retail price. Also picked up a nice lens yesterday for less than half the price on pixmania.ie. Good luck with the search.

If its Canon i would recommend Magees, Letterkenny

Its a long way to go but their pricing is always ahead of the rest and their customer service is exceptional. I think they take orders over the phone.

www.magees.ie

Thanks for the help.
    I have an offer in on a 500d on adverts, but no reply from the seller yet.
    I'll have a look at magees also. I was only in letterkenny a couple of weeks ago, typical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

It depends on what you want to shoot and how serious you think you'll be too. Its madness to pay a huge amount up front for a body and then end up using it rarely. The main thing with SLR's is Lenses, so if you think you will purchase alot of different lenses then your best going with the likes of Nikon or Canon. I don't think sony are all that bad but the other 2 are well established and your more likely to get 3rd party or second hand lenses. On the other hand if your a budget buyer and only going to try a few lenses then I think they are all equal.

Personally I have a Sony A200 and I think its a mighty fine camera, as a casual photographer. I think the A380 with the two lenses is a pretty good deal, you'll cover the whole range with that set of lenses, but it might be bested online.

Thats my 2 cents anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 summerhead

Thanks for the help.
    I have an offer in on a 500d on adverts, but no reply from the seller yet.
    I'll have a look at magees also. I was only in letterkenny a couple of weeks ago, typical.

I still use a Fuji bridge camera. If you are not sure about getting a dSLR just yet (I see you have an offer in) then a Fuji is perfect. Decent enough lens (minimal dust on sensor issues since lens is fixed), SLR feel to it, plenty of functions (shoots RAW if you want to dip your toes in that pool), the new one shoots HD video as far as I know. I think these type of camera are a brilliant way to get into taking shots. Just throw it on the shoulder and off you go. Sure, as you use it more, you will out grow it but if you get to that point, the camera has served it's purpose and at that point you might want to get model higher up the dSLR chain. That's what I have found in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 xadacka

Get a pentax... You won't regret it.

K-x is €499, the perfect beginner dSLR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Dubstar07

Possibly off topic but what the hell...

I've a chance of getting a SLR bought in Japan within the next month. Does anyone know if it's worthwhile to make a purchase??

Only problem is the manual will be in Japanese and the warranty will be no good to you here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Super5onic wrote: »
    Only problem is the manual will be in Japanese and the warranty will be no good to you here

I'd expect most manuals to be available to download legally from manufacturers sites - they offer them as pdfs. I've done so for a number of Pentax dSLR's.

Agree on the Warranty though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Dubstar07

Thanks Super & AnCat. Hadn't thought of warranty, assumed they were worldwide! Bit of a re-think so.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

If you're travelling then the Nikon D3000 & 18-55mm VR lens (cracking lens) is 355 in the Dixons in the Duty Free. And that's non Duty Free (travelling within EU) price. Cheapest I've seen it in Dublin was 479.

Advertisement