Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish barbers in Aus

Options
  • 17-08-2010 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of any decent Irish barbers working in Aus? Specifically for Brisbane/Sydney for myself. Although others might be interested in other areas. Most Aussie barbers seem to have learned their trade either in the army or on a farm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

ballooba wrote: »
    Anyone know of any decent Irish barbers working in Aus? Specifically for Brisbane/Sydney for myself. Although others might be interested in other areas. Most Aussie barbers seem to have learned their trade either in the army or on a farm.

Seriously? you need an Irish barber to cut your hair? Is it so you look good
    when you trot off to the nearest Irish bar in your county colours? :(

Pay more than $15 for a hair cut and you should be alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Doop wrote: »

I agree! whats so good about Irish barbers??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

UK/Irish barbers are better trained than Aussie as far as I'm aware. The best you can hope for is a two week TAFE course before they're unleashed on the public. It's more like $30 to $40 in the Sydney CBD and they're mostly rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Doop wrote: »

How else do you make a celtic jersey look good:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

this has to be a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

ballooba wrote: »
    UK/Irish barbers are better trained than Aussie as far as I'm aware. The best you can hope for is a two week TAFE course before they're unleashed on the public. It's more like $30 to $40 in the Sydney CBD and they're mostly rubbish.

I can see what the problem is straight away... you mentioned CBD.

Finding one that can speak English often helps, I usually go to a Salon up where I live... but the owner is Aussie/Italian and he does a pretty good job for $20.

You could try some of the Salons in Westfield Bondi Junction, I once knew an Irish girl who was sponsored by one of them out there. She is no longer there but I bet its likely other Irish hairdressers working around there.

lg123 wrote: »
    this has to be a joke
    It's not, the Aussie missus agrees (she goes to an Irish girl in Bris now). If you get a men's haircut in Dublin it still looks decent once it grows out. If you get one in Brisbane at least it looks mong after a week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Shave your own head, works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 39,353 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I can see what the problem is straight away... you mentioned CBD.

Finding one that can speak English often helps, I usually go to a Salon up where I live... but the owner is Aussie/Italian and he does a pretty good job for $20.

You could try some of the Salons in Westfield Bondi Junction, I once knew an Irish girl who was sponsored by one of them out there. She is no longer there but I bet its likely other Irish hairdressers working around there.

Westfield is pretty bad unless you pay the 40-50 bucks for the fancy places.
    There is a barber on bondi rd who is class. He as Italian guy about 50 or 60 years old, $20 and better than any in the westfield (but i've never paid $50+ for a hairdresser type btw)

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Westfield is pretty bad unless you pay the 40-50 bucks for the fancy places.
    There is a barber on bondi rd who is class. He as Italian guy about 50 or 60 years old, $20 and better than any in the westfield (but i've never paid $50+ for a hairdresser type btw)

Neither have I, but then I'm not checking their passport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

the barber I use is Beside te Post office in northgate, Brisbane, Decent aulfella has teh whole barbershop vibe going on, obv I dont get many haircuts meself, but he does a decent shave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Shave your own head, works for me

the only way to go. and by the prices quoted here it seems like were shaving a fortune....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Melbourne: Boss Barbers, 229 Clarendon Street, SOUTH MELBOURNE VIC ,3205

They have an Irish barber there, not that far from the CBD really, quite cheap too.

Neither have I, but then I'm not checking their passport.
    Finding one that can speak English often helps, I usually go to a Salon up where I live... but the owner is Aussie/Italian and he does a pretty good job for $20.hairdressers working around there.

Lost me somewhere???? :D

Lost me somewhere???? :D

Aussie with Italian background

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I must admit that the haircuts I got in Dublin were quite good.

Those Poles sure know how to cut hair. :D

Aussie with Italian background
    I got that bit, any way,

the barber doesn't have to be irish, there are plenty of bad irish barbers, no matter where you live, there has to be a good one nearby.

the barber doesn't have to be irish, there are plenty of bad irish barbers, no matter where you live, there has to be a good one nearby.
    I suppose my query could have been better specified. In my experience though, Aussie trained barbers are pretty terrible.

I got that bit, any way,

Yeah I wouldn't care if he was from mars as long as I could tell him I dont want butchered and charged a motsa for it.

• Advertisement

I walked into a empty hairdressers here and asked for a haircut*. She asked for my full name to enter it into a PC. I said "Is that necessary" to which she said yes.

I said "What if I dont want to"

She said "You can go somewhere else?"

Sadly I gave my name and stayed I could not be arsed arguing. Have not been back though and there was no tip... (yeah I showed her).

*Somedays the wife says I look like a thug with my head shaved :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

When i first moved to cork from galway i had the worst hair cut ive ever had, the "old doll" started giving me the Norrie (northside of cork) Special the only time she picked up the scissors was to try and give me a fringe by that time i asked her to just shave it all off, she must have thought i had said "Storley girl, appening feind"

Would not say this to my brothers but i now frequent hairdressers, oh the slagging i would cop:D

The Aussie wrote: »

Would not say this to my brothers but i now frequent hairdressers, oh the slagging i would cop:D

Frequenting hookers would be less embrassing:o

Frequenting hookers would be less embrassing:o
    probably cheaper too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Melbourne: Boss Barbers, 229 Clarendon Street, SOUTH MELBOURNE VIC ,3205

They have an Irish barber there, not that far from the CBD really, quite cheap too.

I went there, and he made a balls of my hair. Ended up with a half-Morrissey quiff, half-Screetch from Saved by the bell....

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

I went there, and he made a balls of my hair. Ended up with a half-Morrissey quiff, half-Screetch from Saved by the bell....

It was an Irish chick that did mine. I never said it was good or anything. Sounds like a f**kin' horrible haircut..

It was an Irish chick that did mine. I never said it was good or anything. Sounds like a f**kin' horrible haircut..

To be fair we are unaware of the condition of Pat's hair prior to the Cut;)

Only Messing Pat.

Right so have we estabilished that in all of Australia we have found one Irish Chick cutting hair in South Melbourne. Who was probably on a WHV and is backing scalping heads of Grafton St.

Might Ask on Britsh expats if it helps you Balooba?

My house mate is a (female) irish barber too.
    So that's pretty handy for me, haircuts in the kitchen, but she doesn't do it full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

To be fair we are unaware of the condition of Pat's hair prior to the Cut;)

Only Messing Pat.

Right so have we estabilished that in all of Australia we have found one Irish Chick cutting hair in South Melbourne. Who was probably on a WHV and is backing scalping heads of Grafton St.

Hairdressing seems to be the most common occupation amongst Irish birds here (that and nursing). Surely it cant be that hard to find one?

Most of the ones I know work in 50 buck a time type joints. Jesus like.

• Advertisement

50 Bucks a time ....are we back on hookers again:eek:

Advertisement