Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to set up gmail for email

Options
  • 17-08-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm trying to set up the info@domain email account with gmail. I'm not sure how to proceed from here in the set up process. Hoping to get a bit of help from you guys. The instructions from the Google apps say;

Sign in to your domain hosting company's website using the username and password associated with your domain.

Navigate to an MX record maintenance page. MX records are special DNS (Domain Name Service) records, and are often located under sections titled "DNS Management," "Mail Server Configuration," or "Name Server Management." You may need to turn on advanced settings to allow editing of these MX records.

Delete any existing MX records before entering new MX records.
    For each MX record, enter information according to the entries in the following table.

You may not be allowed to enter the priority values exactly as they appear in the table below; in that case, simply ensure that the server addresses are prioritized in the same order as they appear in the table. (i.e. The priority ranking [1, 3, 3, 5, 5, 5, 5] should work just as well as [1, 5, 5, 10, 10, 10, 10] so long as you keep the addresses in the right order.)

If you're asked to specify the type of each record you're adding, enter "MX".
    MX records often require the specific format of DNS records, including a trailing dot (".") at the end of any full-qualified domain names (e.g. "server.example.com.")

Set any TTL values to the maximum allowed.
    MX Server address Priority
    ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 10
    ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 20
    ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 20
    ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 30
    ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 30
    ASPMX4.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 30
    ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 30

Change the SPF record to fight SPAM (optional)
    You may define the SPF record to authorize only certain IP addresses to send email for your domain. This will prevent spammers from sending unauthorized email under a forged address from your domain.

I'm pretty sure I've found the relevant section, by going Domain Overview > Domain Administration > (click domain) > DNS tab > DNS Records

According to the instructions from Google, I should delete the one existing MX record. I seem to be able to just deactivate it, should this be enough?

Then, is the next step to add the MX values that are listed above? From what I can see, I do this by going to 'Add New DNS record' > (choose MX from the drop down). On the following screen, I'm not sure what to put in to each field, to correctly follow the Google instructions.

If you could let me know how this is done, and if there is anything else I should do to complete this process, that'd be brilliant!

Thanks very much
    Cian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There's currently an issue with the control panel (following from yesterday's upgrade) that is preventing this from working

Please contact support (@) blacknight.com with your domain and they'll be able to let you know once it's fixed (expected later today / tomorrow)

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

You're doing it correctly and are nearly there .

Add New DNS Record >
    Select DNS Record Type : MX & click <Next>
    Leave the domain bit blank
    Select the priority for each entry from the Preference dropdown list
    Enter the Google MX Server Address in the 'Mail Exchanger' field
    Click <Finish>

Repeat to fade ....

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

bhickey wrote: »
    You're doing it correctly and are nearly there .

Add New DNS Record >
    Select DNS Record Type : MX & click <Next>
    Leave the domain bit blank
    Select the priority for each entry from the Preference dropdown list
    Enter the Google MX Server Address in the 'Mail Exchanger' field
    Click <Finish>

Repeat to fade ....

Enjoy.

I tried adding the first one;
    ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.

but I get an error message reading;
    Error at the first position. Mail exchanger host name must contain latin characters, digits, hyphens and points only. It should be valid domain name.

I'm definitely inputting it exactly as it appears in the google instructions.

Any ideas?

Thanks

edit: Maybe it isn't working because of the ongoing update?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Did you try it without the '.' at the end?

ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM

instead of

ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

bhickey wrote: »
    Did you try it without the '.' at the end?

ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM

instead of

ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.

Just tried it now and it gave the same error message :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement