Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Why I repeated and advice*

• 17-08-2010 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hey there!
    I saw Eoins story and thought maybe mine might help others decide if they're gonna repeat. SO here we go....

Ok. Last year I studied hard but I knew that I wouldn't be getting the 515 i needed for Clinical Speech Therapy, so I knew before my results came I'd be once again doing the LC. And funnily enough come the day of the results I got 430 which was too far off to even hope I'd get my course.

I got offered Science Education and Dentistry Nursing. I almost took one of them as my dad really didn't support me at first on the repeating thing. My mam didn't want to see me stressed like I was again so she encouraged me to take the dentistry nursing, but it really wasn't for me. SO I readied myself to repeat. And I'm going to be honest, I was so ashamed of myself. I thought 'I should be gearing up for college like my friends are not going back to school'. Also a few relatives discouraged me from repeating including my dad which didn't make my life easier, but provided me with the need to prove them wrong. :P

So I chose to repeat outside my old school for personal reasons and headed to Leeson St. A week before I was due to start school I finally got an appointment with the head of Clinical Speech Therapy in Trinity. We discussed the course thoroughly and I knew it was for me. BUT once I told her of my hearing impairment she began to worry about Phonetics (which is picking up slight murmurs in the voice that full hearing people struggle with). She advised me to talk with my audiologist as he knows what i can and can't hear. SO, then i spoke with him. did some tests and he told me I'd be struggling for the four years to pass Phonetics. I was devastated.

Now, i was heading into a repeat year not knowing what i was repeating for. After long talks with the guidance counsellor I decided Medicine was for me. I rang all the colleges to see if my hearing would impact me becoming and being a doctor. I met with plenty of disability counsellors and met a hearing impaired girl doing dentistry and she told me about the electronic stetosccope. :) I found out that there's plenty of supports and electronic stethoscopes out there for me. YAY! I have something to aim for again! So I studied my arse off, far more than I ever thought I could. I also took up two new H.L subjects, Geography and Chemistry which really wasn't easy.

I'm gonna be honest, I found my second LC year far more difficult. I had to be up at 6.30am every morning as i lived an hour away from the school and often didn't get home till 7.00pm. I had so many breakdowns, and for someone who doesn't cry, I cried, A LOT. I went out (as in to clubs/town) 3 times before Xmas and 2 times after. So my social life wasn't exactly soaring. I learned who my real friends were - the ones who didn't care that i wasn't out with them all the time but were still there whenever i needed them. My boyfriend and my mam were so good to me. They let me be a horrible moody bitch to them when the stress got really bad and never lashed back no matter how horrible i was. My grandparents were so supportive, they paid for my repeat year instead of my first year in college. Also doing English (which was my best subject) wasn't easy as nothing was the same for me, the texts had all changed, I knew one poet from my previous year, that was it. So all in all challenging doesn't begin to cover it.

BUT (i realise i sound negative but i really just want to be honest) I really wouldn't have changed anything. I really gave it my all this year as did many of my repeat friends. I got a massive eye opener from repeating. The decision for me to repeat was easy but actually doing it was difficult. It takes dedication. Think long and hard before repeating. Don't repeat if you know that you're not gonna put in the effort and study. You will see your friends going out to freshers week, balls, nights out etc and you will want to be with them but most of the time won't be cos you're aiming for 200, 400, 600 points and can't drink cos you're studying the next morning. You will wonder a good bit if you're completely mad repeating cos you got blah amount of points the first time. But if you really want that course be it Arts, Law, Medicine, Jam making, whatever it is, if you really really want it then i'd advise anyone to go for it. But be warned it won't be easy. I'm happy I repeated, it was definitely the right choice for me. Had I done dentistry nursing I'd probably have dropped out.

I hope I've helped a little and didn't sound too negative! Good luck with the results tomorrow! I'm surprisingly calm about tomorrow despite all my drama over the year! :P

GOOD LUCK!!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

i'm a repeater myself thought i had my course last year but it went up 25 points and i missed out by 5 so i decided to repeat my parents were supportive in fairness and didn't put pressure on me so i eventually decided i would it again i thought it was slightly more difficult than last year too some of the papers were odd yeah missed the friends meself kind of lost contact though with them all gone seperate ways it probably made it easier i put in a good effort and hopefully it will pay off the parents and family i owe a debt of gratitude hopefully it will work out tomrrow and monday for everybody including yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭starry nights

Thanks! :)
    Yeah i know what you mean about the papers thing. Best of luck to you tomorrow! And i really hope you get what you want, after all your effort you deserve it!
    :)

thank you much appreciated and likewise by the way ha i'm hoping the examiner will find my answer on poetry interesting :D hopefully we'll have a bit of luck this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

Hey stop copying my idea :P lol just kiddin'

Fair play, sounded like you had a rougher year than I did. I also went out about 4 times through the whole year :-/ ahh well you'll appreciate your course 20x more now :-) I really really hope you, and everyone else, get what they want on Wednesday :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

Thanks for sharing that. :)

My experience was different in that the hardest thing for me was deciding to repeat. Once the first month was passed, I got into the flow of it and it wasn't too bad at all. Adding to that, I dropped all the subjects that I hated, and had a genuinely more enjoyable time not being forced to do compulsory subjects.

With all that trauma throughout the year, best of luck to you tomorrow. Going through the ringer two years in a row wasn't good for any of us - ever feel as though you lost about five years off your life expectancy? :p - but hopefully we'll find out it was all worth it tomorrow. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

I was always adamant that I was never repeating. I was 16 though so I didn't have much of a choice and after about 2 weeks of crying over the prospect of going back to school without my big group of friends, I accepted it and was determined to get what I wanted.
    I am so glad I did it. I urge everyone if they really want a course...don't settle for second best and just try again. I worked my ass of all year and even though I'm not sure if I did as well as everyone thinks I will but I'm still hoping for tomorrow.
    It's a good bit of hard work and sacrifices but once you have a good routine going the year flies by! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

That sounded like a Horrible year, you poor thing :(. I can't imagine how devastated you must have been on finding out you couldn't do your course but really, hope you do well tomorrow and get what you want. It certainly sounds like you deserve it!

really hated the extra year did it in the same school some teachers were sound other reminding you that you were repeating didn't like my year too much they were all right like but wasn't close just hoping everything pays off tomorrow and monday

Thanks everyone for your replies! :)

I hope you all get what you want. We've had an extra year of studying, we deserve it!

Now, I wish the postman would hurry up!
    :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

SO worth it. :D

• Advertisement

GOT MY FIRST CHOICE....

MEDICINE IN TRINITY!!!!

SOOOOOOOOOOO WORTH REPEATING!!!!!!!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

GOT MY FIRST CHOICE....

MEDICINE IN TRINITY!!!!

Ditto on all counts!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bearsarecool

Well done. Congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

GOT MY FIRST CHOICE....

MEDICINE IN TRINITY!!!!

Fantastic, I'm really happy for you :) all the best in the future :-)

Thanks everyone! SOOOOO HAPPY!!!!

:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 indisbelief

Hey there!

You will wonder a good bit if you're completely mad repeating cos you got blah amount of points the first time. But if you really want that course be it Arts, Law, Medicine, Jam making, whatever it is, if you really really want it then i'd advise anyone to go for it.

I got 580 and missed dentistry in trinity because of random selection.I didn't know it was even possible to be so angry and disappointed,I thought i was comfortably in...I'm so worried about the second rounds.
    How can one repeat with 580 points,i can only get 20 more points!!!
    I don't know if i could motivate myself for another year and can anyone blame me?!

Nice article by the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 who.dunnit

I got 580 and missed dentistry in trinity because of random selection.I didn't know it was even possible to be so angry and disappointed,I thought i was comfortably in...I'm so worried about the second rounds.
    I don't know if i could motivate myself for another year and can anyone blame me?!

I know people who've repeated on 570 because of random selection. You should go through your scripts carefully next week and see if you could be up graded anyway. Subjects like languages are especially good to get upgraded in. You might also get an offer in the second round and in subsequent rounds (though i would more advise to defer it if you're offered it late as you might find you've missed alot and missed bonding with the class initially) Other than that if you really really want I would say repeat. It's only one more year to give up for something you want to do for the rest of your life!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

you probably will get in on 2nd round offers if you have the points but you could always do something else for the year (a medical plc, travel, join the circus, anything!) and re-apply next year or you could search clearing places in england if you don't get in on the 2nd round over here.... good luck! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 annie15

My heart goes out to you to lose out on random selection! I'm in a very similar situation, missed out on veterinary medicine by 5 points :( Im so disappointed, just dont know what to do. I worked my arse off but am disappointed with afew subjects.

I'm looking at my scripts and will definately get 5 of them rechecked and HOPEFULLY will get 5 or 10 more points which will mean I'll then have a guaranteed place next year, or in October if I want it.

But what do I do til the recheck results come out??:confused: I can accept vet nursing just to be in the college and have a room but I'm afraid that if I dont get brought up in points I'll be stuck on a course that I never really wanted and end up in a career I dont want. My heart is set on veterinary.

I am leaning towards repeating but my family are saying what are you doing that for with 555 points?! I would prefer to go to a grinds school but if I do get brought up with rechecks that'll be a lot of money wasted. Cant repeat in my old school cos they never had chemistry in the first place, been doing it myself cos its a requirement and got a B2 so I think that would come up with a teacher. I'm going to look into local VECs to see if they have decent repeat programmes. They would be easier to drop out of but.. ugh.. Im not sure if I'll go up in points...

Sorry about the long reply! Thanks for telling your story. Any advice whatsoevr appreciated.:)

annie15 wrote: »
    My heart goes out to you to lose out on random selection! I'm in a very similar situation, missed out on veterinary medicine by 5 points :( Im so disappointed, just dont know what to do. I worked my arse off but am disappointed with a few subjects.

My heart goes out to you. It's absolutely **** that you didn't get what you wanted after working so hard and doing so well. :(

My boyfriends sister was in the exact same position as you 5years ago. She got 560 first time and missed Veterinary by 5points went back and got 580 which secured her place. She's now in her final year and loves her course. For her repeating was the right choice.

But how do you feel about repeating? Like if you can't get anymore points would you be satisfied doing a course that you didn't really want THEN going into Veterinary and spending another 5 years in college? Or would you rather try again to get that extra 5/10 points to secure your place? Just really think it through before making any decisions. And as cheesy as it sounds, follow your heart, if you want to be a vet then go and be a vet!

I really hope that when you view your scripts that you'll find one exam that was undermarked, i really do.
    :)

• Advertisement

I am so sorry to read this. You poor thing. You have every right to be pisssed off (stupid thing wont let me curse).
    I agree with you saying how can ye repeat when you can only get 20 more points! It's mad!! Unless you repeated one/two subjects that you didn't get an A1 in? Not even sure how that works tbh.....

I'm really at loss for what to say to you.... It's really horrible that you were put in for random selection. I sincerely hope that you get it in the second rounds, i really do. Or that you'll be bumped up tp 585 with your scripts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

555 and 580 and facing the prospect of repeating? God almighty!!! Its hearing cases like this that just makes me want to scream and how unfair the current entry level is for so many courses out there! 580? thats like 5A1s and a B2! or 4A1s and 2 A2s? How can they expect people to score any higher than that?
    But on the flip side, I guess if thats the career you want, dream about, want no other, repeat until you get it! A girl in my year back in school repeated here leaving 4 times to get Medicine! And she got it!
    But its harsh... Im almost in tears here for you guys!

felic wrote: »
    555 and 580 and facing the prospect of repeating? God almighty!!! Its hearing cases like this that just makes me want to scream and how unfair the current entry level is for so many courses out there! Im almost in tears here for you guys!

Sadly this is the case for many students hence the girl i know doing her LC for the fifth time to get medicine. It's crazy, really crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭bubblz

Thought last year i had gotten my course no bother...
    turns out in the end I didn't so i decided to do what i thought i never would.. go back and repeat
    it wasn't easy but i was determined to do my best.
    i worked hard and came out with enough points for my course which i accepted on monday..!
    in a way im glad i repeated as i wasn't mature or ready enough for college this time last year and i wouldn't have appreciated getting the course half as much as i do now.
    repeating definitley isn't the end.. just work hard and do your best and WHEN you get your course it will be all worth it.
    best of luck to everyone repeating.! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Sadly this is the case for many students hence the girl i know doing her LC for the fifth time to get medicine. It's crazy, really crazy.
    I think that's the point someone should tell her it's not meant to be:rolleyes:

theowen wrote: »
    I think that's the point someone should tell her it's not meant to be:rolleyes:

completely agree with you there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

i know of someone who got it after her 5th repeat, I thought she was mad but she did get in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gogo.ie

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

starry nights can I just say that my situation was alot like yours, only difference was that I knew that I wanted medicine from the start and the knife in the back was that I only missed by 10 points and that was because like you said you had breakdowns this year i had them last year and i was a complete mess and couldnt concentrate. And I only went out twice all year! The institute and repeating was worth every painful minute, off to medicine in UCD

• Advertisement

lctake2 wrote: »
    The institute and repeating was worth every painful minute, off to medicine in UCD

Haha I probably know you then or know you to see! :P

But on the bringhtside, we got it!! :)

Advertisement