Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish pre-pay mobile phone company campaign site

• 17-08-2010 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey,
    We have developed a pre-launch buzz creator campaign for Just Mobile (a new irish pre-pay mobile network).

2 Irish lads setting up a mobile phone network during a recession in a possibly already saturated market....are we mad?

Would love to hear your comments and feedback.

http://www.arewemad.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Very nice design. Did you develop a custom theme or use an existing framework? Lovely design in either case, love the typography particularly.

I don't like to gush, so I trawled the site looking for stuff to criticise. First off, there is big confusion over the domain name, I don't like that. In the intro video the voiceover says one domain, but the text shows the other. The logo seems equally confused. If it's a single domain, stick to something canonical. Second criticism: blogs are posted by "admin" - have it display an author name.

Yeah, that's all I could find - nice work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭davejacko

Thanks for that. Its a custom design with a Wordpress backend. I agree about the domain confusion, its something that will be fixed in coming weeks and it there for reasons I won't bore you with.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭goulders

Hi ya doin, I am not technically qualified so as a potential customer,
    I can get a buzz from your site, energy, excitment, humour, etc. Lookin for ward to your launch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Very nice presentation, look/feel to the site. To be constructively critical, I think you are trying to do too much with the page. There's a lot on the page, and it's all trying to grab my attention. Thus I think conversion rates will suffer given the amount of options on the page and hence the amount of time it'll take for visitors to do what you want them to do.

On the other hand, if the purpose of the site is just to reinforce the brand, then it seems to perform that quite well even if people might be thinking 'what am I supposed to do here?'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

Have to say, love the design and the feel of the site. A nice 'fun' atmosphere, playfully tongue in cheek, but still shows a dedication and determination that I'm sure is the 'core' of the company and what will be the 'make or break' of your venture in the long run. It certainly creates the 'buzz' you're looking for, so two big thumbs up there.

Like Trojan and Cianos, I'm struggling to find any meaningful constructive criticism, so that's a great sign. I agree with Cianos that the layout is 'busy' and it's not entirely clear what the logical 'next step' is... but I'm not sure if that's actually part of the current charm so a caveat in relation to toning it down 'too much'.

I've put together a few comments below, but happy to admit it's mostly pretty pedantic stuff and the pro's of the site FAR outweigh the con's. Take the comments in the knowledge that this is trying to pull on the small things to be tweaked while the high level stuff is pretty much hitting the nail on the head in my own opinion.

Data Protection:
    You're collecting PII (email addy on comments) and non PII (via google analytics) so get a privacy statement in place to cover the legal obligations there (www.dataprotection.ie for more details).

Facebook:
    Update the website link to point to your 'welcome' page rather than to the existing 'wall' link.

(Even better, direct it to a FB page 'username' [vanity url] and have the default landing page for a new visitor as the 'welcome' and it will auto redirect returning guests to the wall)

Technical Data:
    (This could well be intentional and a conscious decision made to leave people 'guessing' and add to the 'buzzy feel', but said I'd mention it.)
    [note: I've little to no technical knowledge in this area, so some of this might not even be all that relevant]

The first thing I looked for on the site was technical details. Are you going to be piggybacking on existing networks? If you're aiming to provide your own networks, any 'high level'/early details available? If piggybacking, which network(s) will you be using (which existing customers will it be available to e.g. my parents get a good o2 signal but poor vodafone)? Is this a repackaging of minutes with the existing providers but at a lower cost? The site continually suggests 'better value', yet no mention of (even guesstimate) cost reductions (I'd guess it's simply too early to provide this?)?

(There are a few references to 'rip off' from other suppliers. While it's pedantic and down to semantics, the other suppliers clearly detail their costs. While customers might not feel they're providing 'best value' [I know I'm keenly awaiting to see what price plans you guys can come up with when the time comes], the term 'rip off' is inaccurate as the costs are available up front prior to signing [potentially not as 'up front' as many customers would like... but again, subjective]. So take care with the terminology used.)

Canconicalization:
    As trojan mentioned, take care with your www vs. non www url's (This has been taken care of on justmobile.ie, so probably a minor oversight on arewemad.ie).

Error page:
    If you enter a bum url, the default error page is the home page with nothing other than the page title (easily overlooked as people normally scan the page) to display the 'Nothing found for XXXXX". I'd suggest making it a little clearer that the requested url wasn't found so that it's clear that the navigation (or a sitemap/search) should be used to find the relevant page.

Meta Keywords:
    For any SE's that do use them, separate out your keywords with a ",". At the moment, it's one big long string and not the individual terms you'd hope to be hitting.

Header Tags:
    For SE's to understand the content, it makes more sense to use the hierarchical structure for the headers. So have the most important message in your h1 and the rest filtering down from there in order.

At the moment, it's jumping straight to h3. The existing layout can easily be retained while still achieving the more logical breakdown of header structure.

(also worth a comment that the existing headers on the home page contain few, if any, of the keywords you'd hope to rank for)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭davejacko

Thanks so much for taking the time to give us such a comprehensive review, I really appreciate it, its very helpful. Your questions about the network will be addressed very soon but I can tell you it will be pre-pay only to start with. We hope to offer customers a great value, no nonsense pricing with a bit of a twist. Lots more details will be announced over the coming weeks. I'll pass your comments on to the guys in Just Mobile.

I'll take your technical comments on board, we are currently building the actual Just Mobile launch website at the moment and a lot of what you mentioned will be ironed out for this phase.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 boredofblackroc

davejacko wrote: »
    Hey,
    We have developed a pre-launch buzz creator campaign for Just Mobile (a new irish pre-pay mobile network).

2 Irish lads setting up a mobile phone network during a recession in a possibly already saturated market....are we mad?

Would love to hear your comments and feedback.

http://www.arewemad.ie

Nice design - looks like something from Mad Dog really :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

A suggesstion is like Tescos mobile, you should double credit for example!:D

Advertisement