Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Year GPEP Intl. Reg = Confused

Options
  • 17-08-2010 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi all, I don't know if anyone will have any light to shed on this problem because it's quite specific to my situation but I said I'd post anyway on the offchance, as naturally UCD haven't replied to any of my emails!

I'm going into final year BA GPEP Intl. having completed a study abroad year and am noticing two problems.
    1) UCD has decided to merge stages 2 and 3 into one super 'Stage 2' in my absence.
    2) The GPEPers who started a year after me, who I am now joining seem to be following a different curriculum to the one of my peers who have now graduated.

You see, this BA subject specific guidance document, which I am currently trying to decipher in advance of tomorrows funfair, is listing out all the stage 2 core modules and telling me I have to complete 10 core modules in stage 2. Well and good. Except for the fact that some of this 'core modules' are co-requisites with Level 1 PEP modules I completed and therein lies my confusion. I am assuming I dont have to complete the core modules PEP20080, PEP20090 and PEP20100, each of which is listing both PEP10020 and PEP10030 as co-requisites, both of which I completed in first year. However, this means that I will be completing less than 10 core modules in stage two, as was outlined necessary, as I hope to count their Level 1 co-requisites in their stead. Does anyone know how this will work out?:confused: Naturally I have emailled GPEP admin and student desk.

Additionally, for you poor unfortunates still reading, the document tells me that if you have previously completed ECON 20140 you do not take PEP30080 Planning Society and Diversity. Can I assume the inverse is true? That I do not have to take ECON20140 as I have completed PEP30080?

Thanks for reading, and I forgive you for yawning. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

eily wrote: »
    Hi all, I don't know if anyone will have any light to shed on this problem because it's quite specific to my situation but I said I'd post anyway on the offchance, as naturally UCD haven't replied to any of my emails!

I'm going into final year BA GPEP Intl. having completed a study abroad year and am noticing two problems.
    1) UCD has decided to merge stages 2 and 3 into one super 'Stage 2' in my absence.
    2) The GPEPers who started a year after me, who I am now joining seem to be following a different curriculum to the one of my peers who have now graduated.

You see, this BA subject specific guidance document, which I am currently trying to decipher in advance of tomorrows funfair, is listing out all the stage 2 core modules and telling me I have to complete 10 core modules in stage 2. Well and good. Except for the fact that some of this 'core modules' are co-requisites with Level 1 PEP modules I completed and therein lies my confusion. I am assuming I dont have to complete the core modules PEP20080, PEP20090 and PEP20100, each of which is listing both PEP10020 and PEP10030 as co-requisites, both of which I completed in first year. However, this means that I will be completing less than 10 core modules in stage two, as was outlined necessary, as I hope to count their Level 1 co-requisites in their stead. Does anyone know how this will work out?:confused: Naturally I have emailled GPEP admin and student desk.

Additionally, for you poor unfortunates still reading, the document tells me that if you have previously completed ECON 20140 you do not take PEP30080 Planning Society and Diversity. Can I assume the inverse is true? That I do not have to take ECON20140 as I have completed PEP30080?

Thanks for reading, and I forgive you for yawning. :)

That post made absolutely no sense, could you attach a link to a pdf or something? I did that degree as well (not international but gpep).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 eily

El Siglo wrote: »
    That post made absolutely no sense, could you attach a link to a pdf or something? I did that degree as well (not international but gpep).

Hmm maybe that's why they haven't emailed back then... I'll try again.
    There is a subject guide for continuing stage 2 students and it outlines the modules I need to take tomorrow.

Level 2 Core Modules
    ECON2014
    GEOG20110
    PEP20080
    PEP20090
    PEP20100

Level 3 Core Modules
    PEP30030
    PEP30040
    PEP30040
    PEP30070
    PEP30080

It then proceeds to say that 'during stage two you must take a total of 10 core modules'. When I look at the module information for PEP20080, 20090, and 20100, and click into 'Am I eligible to take this module?', in each it says "Co-Requisite: Intro to Spatial Planning (PEP10020), History of Planning (PEP10030)", and I have completed both those modules in Stage 1. Does this mean then that I don't take PEP20080 as I have completed equivalent modules? And if I don't take it, does this mean I will not have completed 10 core modules in Stage Two?

http://www.ucd.ie/acshs/registration10_subjectinfo.pdf
    GPEP is p47.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

eily wrote: »
    Hmm maybe that's why they haven't emailed back then... I'll try again.
    There is a subject guide for continuing stage 2 students and it outlines the modules I need to take tomorrow.

Level 2 Core Modules
    ECON2014
    GEOG20110
    PEP20080
    PEP20090
    PEP20100

Level 3 Core Modules
    PEP30030
    PEP30040
    PEP30040
    PEP30070
    PEP30080

It then proceeds to say that 'during stage two you must take a total of 10 core modules'. When I look at the module information for PEP20080, 20090, and 20100, and click into 'Am I eligible to take this module?', in each it says "Co-Requisite: Intro to Spatial Planning (PEP10020), History of Planning (PEP10030)", and I have completed both those modules in Stage 1. Does this mean then that I don't take PEP20080 as I have completed equivalent modules? And if I don't take it, does this mean I will not have completed 10 core modules in Stage Two?

http://www.ucd.ie/acshs/registration10_subjectinfo.pdf
    GPEP is p47.

Have you done stage 2 (i.e. two years in UCD, abroad for a year now back for your final year)? Well, it's like this, whatever you've done before (core modules I'm talking about) you don't register for, whatever you haven't done register for. You've done 5 core under the old system I'd say and now just take the other 5 you need and you'll be sorted. When it say "Co-requisite", that just means have you done the required modules to do this one. It means that you can take the module (e.g. PEP20080) because you've done required module to do it. That's what that means.
    I think I get it now (sort of), you've done modules under the old system (stage 1-3 etc...). I'd ring the geography office as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 eily

Yes I did Stage 1 GPEP 07/80, Stage 2 08/09, went abroad to New Zealand 09/10 and now returning to UCD to complete "Stage 2" aka Final Year.

Ok I thought that co-requisite meant that it was an equivalent module, and that what you've just described was a pre-requisite but I see now (http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/explanationofmodularkeyterms.pdf , p4) that it means I have to have taken those particular Level One modules to enroll to these Stage 2 Core modules.

Yes I have completed 5, together with the three 'co-requisite' modules that has me at 8 of the 10 I have to complete in Stage Two.

There are two other modules it's telling me to take:
    GEOG20110 Geographical Skills and Techniques (I did this module already except it was 5 credits when I did it, not 10, and it was GEOG20030)

and

ECON20140. It says "if you have previously completed ECON20140, you do not take PEP30080". I however have done the opposite, I have done PEP30080 and am wondering if that means I don't do ECON20140.

Anyway thanks for your help, I'll get onto the Geography Office like you said about my outstanding queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Ah, nice to see there are still 'teething problems' with GPEP - I was the first year that did it.

Tips on how to navigate your problem:

Find a real person to talk to, not general email addresses. If you aren't sure who can help start with the geog office or a lecturer you got on well with before NZ - if someone can't help you, get them to direct you to someone else who might be able to help.

If anyone is attemting to transfer you themselves, get the name and ext num of who they are transferring you to incase you get cut off.

Use the names of the modules not the numbers - no one can ever remember the numbers!!

Best of luck!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement