Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clone Hard Drive

• 17-08-2010 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi,

Does anyone know how I can clone a hard drive without cloning any of the user sepcific details on the drive?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Ste_D

Sounds like you just need to mount the source and destination drives and copy file across using windows explorer. Is the destination drive internal or external?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 arko19

Its external. I heard there was some tool that will do it but I havent been able to find the right one.

You dont need a tool. Connect the external drive and open "My Computer". you will see the internal drives of your computer and the external one. You can simply copy across the files that you want. Anything user-specific would be in the Documents and Settings folder so ignore that one.

Alternatively if you are trying to clone the source drive you would need some ghosting software. I havent done this in ages but i'm sure I could track down a decent free tool if that is what you need. I dont imagine this is what you want to do though as you wont be able to run windows off an external drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 arko19

Sorry maybe I didnt explain myself properly. I had a lot of trouble installing and configuring a PC for work. What I want to do now is clone this drive so that I don't have to go through that trouble again. Iv heard that there is a cloning tool that will backup the OS and all the applications installed on the machine, without actually backing up any user specific details. Does such a tool exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gary_bre

if your looking to take a complete image of the drive , For example the Operating system and all programs installed etc...then your best bet would be norton ghost.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you need a ghost of the drive, that will allow you to recreate it as it is now from the image.

There are a few free alternatives to Norton here:
    http://www.wareprise.com/2008/06/24/free-norton-ghost-alternatives/

I havent used any of them though so I cant recommend anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

arko19 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know how I can clone a hard drive without cloning any of the user sepcific details on the drive?

Thanks!

Which OS?

Advertisement