Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bellamy gone to Cardiff .

• 17-08-2010 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭

SSN:

"According to Sky Sports News a loan deal has been agreed between the clubs.

Bellamy was left out of City's squad for the game at Tottenham on Saturday, and wasn't named in City's Europa League squad.

Bellamy suggested last week that he hasn't spoken to City manager Roberto Mancini since February.

Cardiff is Bellamy's home town club, he watched them from the terraces as a boy."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

madness, he should be playing Champions League football..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

never a fan, but this is a real step down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

/Rushes to call Roy Hodgson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Eh, my first reaction is this is ****ing awesome!! What's wrong with you lot? He's going to back to help his hometown team, the club he supported as a kid. The more I know about Bellamy, the more I like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Stephen Ireland moving to Cobh.....watch this space:pac:

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Eh, my first reaction is this is ****ing awesome!! What's wrong with you lot? He's going to back to help his hometown team, the club he supported as a kid. The more I know about Bellamy, the more I like him.

No harm in that (return home club) but IMO still has alot to offer a Premiership team Cough Liverpool.
    This move IMO is 2 seasons 2 early .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

first half of last season he was making a good case for player of the year. it just seems a few years too early to head out to pasture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

It's a romantic thought.

But he's just came off probably the best season he's ever had in the prem.

Players player of the year?

fans player of the year?

Go back to Cardiff for sure, but this isn't the time IMO

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

For the rest of us championship it's great to see a player of his ability playing in the division.

However, him going to a club who survived a 4th winding-up order in 6 months, £30m in debt and can get a player whose wages are reportedly £95k a week is beyond comprehension.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

RGDATA! wrote: »
    first half of last season he was making a good case for player of the year. it just seems a few years too early to head out to pasture.
    The championship is out to pasture :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭naughto

he should not have signed for them yet liverpool should have came in for him to help torres out and for when he gets injured again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

For the rest of us championship it's great to see a player of his ability playing in the division.

However, him going to a club who survived a 4th winding-up order in 6 months, £30m in debt and can get a player whose wages are reportedly £95k a week is beyond comprehension.
    How is the fact that he wants to help out his boyhood heroes beyond comprehension? I would imagine City are covering most if not all of his wages.

The championship is out to pasture :rolleyes:

Yea ... The Killing Fields ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I presume City are coughing up the full wage bill.

Voltwad wrote: »
    How is the fact that he wants to help out his boyhood heroes beyond comprehension? I would imagine City are covering most if not all of his wages.

He wanted to be play for city,

He wanted to be in the 25 man squad.

he wanted to be in the europa league squad.

It's not like going to help his "boyhood heros" was his first priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ntlbell wrote: »
    It's a romantic thought.

But he's just came off probably the best season he's ever had in the prem.

Players player of the year?

fans player of the year?

Go back to Cardiff for sure, but this isn't the time IMO

He wasn't either of those.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He wasn't either of those.

I had question marks there for a reason.

I wasn't sure.

Wake up folks! City weren't going to let him go to any of their rivals. The Premiership options on the table for him were probably the likes of Bolton / Blackburn (again) / Birmingham / etc. I think everyone should be respectful of a guy who would rather drop down a division to play football that really means something to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Willie Stroker

Terrible move imo , dont like as a person , but he is a good player dont understand why Mancini doesn't him maybe because he want Hughes to stay ! Good for cardiff though will do well for them i guess .

Wake up folks! City weren't going to let him go to any of their rivals. The Premiership options on the table for him were probably the likes of Bolton / Blackburn (again) / Birmingham / etc. I think everyone should be respectful of a guy who would rather drop down a division to play football that really means something to him.

It's not about dis-respect, I just think he's making a bad descision.

If he's not good enough to be in the 25 man squad, why have any fear of him going to another rival club :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭furiousox

Bellamy gone, Ireland going to Villa, Given wants out...
    Mancini is ripping the heart out of that team, it's crazy.

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »

He won't be in the job too long to do much more damage IMO.

alls the pitty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Should've went to Wolfsburg.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

What a waste of a good player tbh. Great for Cardiff and their fans no doubt, huge boost to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I can't believe noone has mentioned the obvious - Pile on!

Cardiff are still 10 to 1 on PP to win the league, each way is the way to go i think, pays out for 4 places (which i think they'd likely get even without Bellers).

Come on everybody, lets all make some money!

Motherwell not happy with Bellamy's move!

Linkage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

furiousox wrote: »

Bellamy and Given came in as part of the spending spree. Hardly the heart of the team. That heart died a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Couldnt agree more. I think it's brillaint that he's doing this when he's in his prime. Hoped he might go to Celtic but was not to be. There is football outside of the bloody EPL, though you wouldnt think it reading here sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

It's not about dis-respect, I just think he's making a bad descision.

If he's not good enough to be in the 25 man squad, why have any fear of him going to another rival club :confused::confused:

Of course he's good enought. Obviously other issues at play.

• Advertisement

Ah here, you know why. They aren't worried about recouping value, and it is well known that a huge part of the reason he is out in the cold is that himself and Mancini simply don't gel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Way too soon for him to be dropping down a league.

He has 2 good premier league years left in him. Liverpool could really have done with taking him back. But obv Man City don't want to improve their rivals. But surely Fulham, even maybe Celtic would be better than wasting away at Cardiff.

But fancy Cardiff for promotion now as they were close last year and now have added a player who is a class above the level he will be playing at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I must say, as loan moves go, I think this is a great one. He coulda joined West Ham or somebody, and went another year playing in mid level premiership teams, ultimately doing nothing of interest in his career (as none of them have a hope in hell of breaking into the top 4) OR he could join his home-town club, and get them into the premiership. Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He'll never have to pay for a pint in Cardiff again!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He'll never have to pay for a pint in Cardiff again!
    And Cardiff will never pay a cent for him :)

[QUOTE=LuckyLloyd;67502471 himself and Mancini simply don't gel.[/QUOTE]

Seems to be a common theme with a number of players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

As a Cardiff fan I'm just delighted. A little worried about how he'll settle in, & whether he'll get injured, but really, it's all upside.

:):):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

As far as Craig Bellamy goes you have to hand it to the guy for doing something like this. I've always been a huge fan of the man since he was at Blackburn for a season and without doubt his season there was the best season performance by any player at Rovers in the last decade. In the City/Rovers game at Ewood last year when he was booed by some idiots who don't have a clue about anything and he just turned to them and put his hands out in a 'why are you booing me?' reaction, nothing controversial just confusion on his part. He then went on to rip us open with his searing runs down the left. I have nothing but respect for Craig Bellamy, he has always had problems off the pitch but he never failed to give 100% when on it.

Its a big loss to the Premier League though, imo Bellamy was one of the best players in the league last year and I can't think of anybody playing on the left side for any club who would be guaranteed to start ahead of him. I'm going to miss him flying down the left putting the fear of god into full backs.

I just hope that his presence in Cardiff will result in them being in contention and bigger crowds for games. Its a huge gesture on his part and shows that he cares about his hometown club unlike a lot of footballers these days for whom its all about money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

However noble it is, you have to say it is an utter waste of talent. I know City would never sell to Spurs but he would have most definitely found a place there and helped them challenge for Europe again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lukker- wrote: »
    However noble it is, you have to say it is an utter waste of talent. I know City would never sell to Spurs but he would have most definitely found a place there and helped them challenge for Europe again.

Who cares? Some random mid-table team he helps push for UEFA? Not the greatest of things to look back on with your son in 20 years time. Taking your home-town club to the top-flight, that's special :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

PHB wrote: »
    Who cares? Some random mid-table team he helps push for UEFA? Not the greatest of things to look back on with your son in 20 years time. Taking your home-town club to the top-flight, that's special :)

When the story broke earlier I didn't agree with this angle but it makes sense alright. outside a move to a top 6/7 club theres no point really. hope it works out for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

delighted for him, but really hope cardiff dont get promoted next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Manchester City are paying half his wages, and a local businessman is paying the other half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

love Craig Bellamy, this is just another thing to add to the list of reasons why.

frantic190 wrote: »
    Manchester City are paying half his wages, and a local businessman is paying the other half.
    Well that's just terrific for the rest of us championship clubs :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

Gary Cook is a great man according to Belamy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Gutted about this to be honest. He's been fantastic for us during his time at COMS. He would have been easily our player of the season last time out, if you take Tevez out of the equation. His attitude and commitment on the pitch were spot on; I wish Robinho had shown the same commitment to go with his undoubtedly superior technique to Bellamy's. I hope Mancini is right about this, although I have misgivings. Cheers Craig, and good luck at Cardiff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭baldshin

Heard about this early this morning from my boss. All his Cardiff mates phoned him to get money on them to win the league, 100e/w at 12/1 over here, all they could get in Cardiff was 6/1, amazing what a difference one player is predicted to make! Cardiff were 16/1 last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

Fair play to him.

Would have loved to see him back at Celtic but I wish him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Fair play to him...even with all the crap at Newcastle I still rated him highly...and in every game he always gave 100% effort, hell even in training he did, I'd have preferred to see Souness leave before Bellamy..

Also great to see him pick his hometown and help get them back up to the premiership..hope it works out for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think this move says lot about Craig Bellamy, but also Man City.

That club is losing it's soul and it's uniqueness. Roberto Mancini hasn't a clue and i'll be surprised to see him last the season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement