Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identifying Pye Valve Radio

Options
  • 17-08-2010 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

I have cleaned up an Old Pye Valve Radio but am having difficulty getting information on it.

I think it may have been manufactured at the Pye Factory in Dundrum and may have been supplied in kit form.

The Chassis is Clearly marked "PJ 501" which does not seem to be a Pye Model.

Link to Pictures if anyone can help.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32663985@N00/sets/72157624744298718/detail/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Taildragon

moceri wrote: »
    I think it may have been manufactured at the Pye Factory in Dundrum and may have been supplied in kit form.

Hi Moceri

If the dial has a red button on the glass (at the top, centre) then AFAIK that marks it as an "Irish Pye". Radios built in the UK had the Pye logo there.

As an aside, I'm interested in finding out more about the Pye factory in Dundrum if anybody here can help. I believe there may have been one in the Midlands at some point, too?

The electronics in Irish models seem to be common to UK models, with different cases and model numbers.

This is an interesting, and almost forgotten, part of 20th century Irish industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

moceri wrote: »
    I have cleaned up an Old Pye Valve Radio but am having difficulty getting information on it.

The Chassis is Clearly marked "PJ 501" which does not seem to be a Pye Model.

Link to Pictures if anyone can help.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32663985@N00/sets/72157624744298718/detail/

We used to have one of those. The old woodworm got the better of it but I removed the chassis and turntable from it many years ago. Still have the bits in a box in the garage if you ever need parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    We used to have one of those. The old woodworm got the better of it but I removed the chassis and turntable from it many years ago. Still have the bits in a box in the garage if you ever need parts.

I know this is resurrecting a really old thread but by any chance do you still have the above turntable?

My dad has just just fixed up one but the record stylus is broken (needles are ok but the piezoelectric crystal/coil if it uses one is broken). Basically the brown thing that the needles are screwed into is not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

user1842 wrote: »
    I know this is resurrecting a really old thread but by any chance do you still have the above turntable?

My dad has just just fixed up one but the record stylus is broken (needles are ok but the piezoelectric crystal/coil if it uses one is broken). Basically the brown thing that the needles are screwed into is not working.

I do still have it. I'll root it out later today and may be able to get a pic of it to you somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I do still have it. I'll root it out later today and may be able to get a pic of it to you somehow.

Thanks a million, I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 coddd

I know this is an old thread but am hoping that someone out there has a manual/wiring diagrams for a PYE PJ501. Cannot get one anywhere. Have looked on all the vintage websites. They have drawings for the P75 which is very similar but not the exact same Anyone out there got any ideas.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

These are quite simple sets. It would be rare that you really need the circuit.
    There appears to be a circuit here
    http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/pye_pj_501.html

Only members can download, but read the membership pages VERY carefully if you are a collector. Also a member can post on the private forums or on a model page for help.

Also worth joining here
    http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20
    A fair few Irish members and helpful people.

Advertisement