Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spam in Boards.ie emails

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

DeVore wrote: »
    We have something like 18 servers to run this message board. Who will keep their OS's up to date. Who will maintain the database, clear out the logs, patch the load balancers etc etc etc. There are a hundred other jobs we do every day.
    Dav and Darragh aren't technical staff are they? And I was under(the perhaps mistaken) impression that the main gist of at least one of the two techie jobs was boards.ie development, rather than maintenance.
    Your idea of what it takes to run a site used by upwards of 2million people regularly is the root of your confusion.
    I'm not the one confused about the jobs two of my employee's do, if you want to be a smart alec about it :pac:
    And yes, I have a vision for this site and I've always been very clear about it.

DeV.
    However it doesn't seem to have actually achieved much, boards.ie appears to have grown organically since it's inception and I can't think of a single visionary decision the people who run the site have made to alter that? Can you?

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge your right to have a vision, decide to hire employees, decide on a new direction for boards etc etc - but I do begrudge you coming across as if it's users fault all of this is necessary when and that they asked for it - when something changes they don't like :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Come on, seriously - stating that it is spam, when it all boils down to the fact that it may affect the very occasional user who subs and unsubs to lots of threads.

A simple "can you move the new bit so that it doesn't confuse me?" request would have sufficed.

Thats exactly whats being discussed here, I'm seriously not moaning here and I think the lads know that. just pointing out something that has changed

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tragedy wrote:
    ...but I do begrudge you coming across as if it's users fault all of this is necessary when and that they asked for it...
    Now that is a serious case of putting words in other people's mouths. That was never said or even hinted at.

Tallon wrote: »
    Thats exactly whats being discussed here, I'm seriously not moaning here and I think the lads know that. just pointing out something that has changed
    So why the need for the sensationalist "Spam in Boards.ie emails" thread title?

This is a 'storm in a tea cup' issue really. No harm being done at the end of the day and people giving out for no real reason.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    So why the need for the sensationalist "Spam in Boards.ie emails" thread title?

This is a 'storm in a tea cup' issue really. No harm being done at the end of the day and people giving out for no real reason.

Not my fault your reading too much into it.

It was a regular teacup until people starting saying I was here for the wrong reasons.

I'm here to point out my annoyances at it and provide feedback, I also have a habit of making OTT thread titles

• Advertisement

Ooooh, I like that new front page DeV :)

The two pages I use the most are, Subbed & Subscriptions. All on one page is awesome

The unfollow is nice, are the emails staying in the same format?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes, the mails will be staying in that format. :^/
    This is just one of those decisions that cant please everyone.

I have to cheekily point out though that those new features you like come at a price... :)

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    I have to cheekily point out though that those new features you like come at a price... :)

I would have done them for free... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Tallon wrote: »
    I would have done them for free... :p

Well, if you're volunteering, I'm always open to patches.

In fact, if you could send me a patch to remove the forum cache and replace it with something that'll handle >800 forums at 60+ pages per second that'd be awesome. It's a right pain in the arse to do while trying to get everything else done and it's a performance bottleneck at the moment.

Source is available at vbulletin.com, if you make the patch against 3.8.6-PL1 I'll handle porting it to our codebase.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Conor wrote: »
    In fact, if you could send me a patch to remove the forum cache and replace it with something that'll handle >800 forums at 60+ pages per second that'd be awesome. It's a right pain in the arse to do while trying to get everything else done and it's a performance bottleneck at the moment.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
    Seriously, I haven't a clue what you just said, but I'd imagine it's up there with asking someone to dance on the head of a pin balanced on the centre of a hairspring of a ticking bomb while juggling pints of Guinness.

Without spilling any.

From someone who's not quite a technophobe, but relatively clueless about the pipe that bring boards to my phone, laptop, tv screen or whatever, thanks.

• Advertisement

It's the hamsters that I feel sorry for.

Advertisement