Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rain Tyres?

• 17-08-2010 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,

I'm fairly newish to cycling. In June i started using a road bike to comute doing about 120-150 miles a week.
    After suffering several punctures i put a pair of Gator Skin's on the bike Wheel size 700*23. havn't had a puncture since.

However This Morning the tyres were finding it very hard to maintain grip. (it was quite wet)
    I slipped twice and came very close to coming off the bike.

Is this just part of cycling or do Gator Skins have poor performance in the wet?

If so what will give me good wet performance and the same level of performance in relation to punctures ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

Don't buy Specialized Armadillos anyway. They're great in the dry weather, very durable (long lasting) and very puncture resistant. However, I did find them slippy on wet surfaces. I also found that the ride is harsh over bad quality surfaces so I'd keep the tyres slightly deflated from the optimum pressure.

A while ago I purchased GatorSkins as they were recommended on this forum as a puncture resistant tyre with better ride quality. So far, I haven't had to replace the Armadillos so I have yet to experience the difference though reading your experiences isn't very encouraging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yogipear

Cheers,

To be fair the GatorsSkins were fantastic until it rained. I usually keep them at 110 PSI but i'll try lowering the preasure a bit on the way home and see if it makes a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I find Gatorskins fine in the wet but I run 28's so maybe that's why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

The roads are greasy when it rains after a dry spell, you just have to be careful. I find gradual braking, smooth cornering and acceleration etc. all help. Watch out for manhole covers, drains and tar seams on the road, all lethal in the wet.

I've used Gatorskins in the past and found them fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

Michelin Pro3 race work for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

gatorskins for me, fine in the wet except on steel like luas tracks, manholes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yogipear

Thanks for feedback,

Sounds like plenty of people use gatorskins in the wet. So its not the tyre but the rider?
    It was only my second outing in the wet as I was away for the second part of July so perhaps I just need a bit more experience.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I find the Conti GP Force excellent.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Gatorskins are not the grippiest tyre in the wet. Not as bad as Armadillos but not as good as a decent race tyre either. Perfectly usable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Ditto ktz84- Pro 3 Grip best all round fast tyre bar none. pretty good protection too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement