Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does your school education matter to you now?

• 17-08-2010 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Ok the thread title may be a bit misleading but here we go.

In your opinion does the stuff you learn in school really matter or have an effect on your life now?

I'm wondering this as I'm getting my leaving results tomorrow and am thinking about some of the stuff I have been taught over the last couple of years.

I feel I will never need the likes of complex numbers from maybe and will never hear of the name Magellan from history. But I do reckon there will be some stuff that may be of benefit to me like French and parts of biology.

So has your school education has an effect on your later life?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I'm sorry I cannot understand a word of what you've written as I haven't gone to school and didn't do English. Also math is useless to me as I just give the teller a magical note with a number on it and I get these other notes and coins back. MAGIC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Just be happy to get the knowledge, whether you use it or not doesn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Nah, doesn't really matter. I don't even have my results on my CV as who cares? All people want to see is your degree/experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

No, of course not. I mean when are you going to have to read or write, count, multiply or divide or use analytical thought. You can just settle in to the next episode of Jeremy Kyle right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mojorex

I'm getting my results tomorrow and I reckon we will never use half of that information again! Unless we have to repeat!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

the education system is flawed,everything you've been taught and all the struggle is over,you've wasted so much time over all those years and you can't get it back so now...

WELCOME TO COLLEGE!!! PARTAYYYYYYY!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Yeah - school taught me a lot of things.. it gave me a general education, a shed load of useless information, a healthy dose of cynicism & an unwillingness to always trust those in authority.

And outside school hours, I learned how to drink, smoke, take drugs & ride women.

They don't call them the 'formative years' for nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Yes, but often wonder If I had gone to a grind school and gone off to do a four year degree directly rather than have stuck with the secondary school I went to and gone the step by step in college...cert, ordinary degree, honours degree and then do a hdip. Purhaps have chosen a different college/course. Worked during my time in college rather than during the summers. My expectations of the leaving cert results were realistic so don't think I could have done any better, who knows what I could have become! I wonder would things have been any different if my path had been different?

I have learnt a lot though! Reached my potential in things I never thought I would achieve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Yeah Leaving Cert students are made to believe it's the be all and end all of exams. In hindsight it's one of the easiest exams you'll do compared to any college, professional or internal exams.

What I studied in school and university I've largely forgotten now. The degree is a handy piece of paper to have for getting a job though.

Of course all of that generally pales into comparison with plenty of experience and not being a numpty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The stuff you learn in school is of use only in very limited circumstances.

Only if you decide to a third level education immediately after leaving school. Otherwise, its a waste of time.

There really is no substitute for experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Doyler92 wrote: »
    I'm wondering this as I'm getting my leaving results tomorrow and am thinking about some of the stuff I have been taught over the last couple of years.

Anything you were taught in Religion class you can leave at the door on your way out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Education is a light load and never wasted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Yes it does, greatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Callan57 wrote: »

Yes it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

i is smart

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Callan57 wrote: »

except on women

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Education is like assembling building blocks to build a career, Grasshopper. And if your career is academic, you must Pile Higher and Deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

When I grow up, I want to be a principal or a caterpillar. I love you, Principal Skinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

pmcmahon wrote: »
    except on women

and Neanderthals of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I never finished schooling and that ain't effected me no how.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Ok the thread title may be a bit misleading but here we go.

In your opinion does the stuff you learn in school really matter or have an effect on your life now?

I feel I will never need the likes of complex numbers from maybe and will never hear of the name Magellan from history. But I do reckon there will be some stuff that may be of benefit to me like French and parts of biology.

So has your school education has an effect on your later life?

I think the value of a good education can't be measured purely on the job opportunities it might afford. There is also a value in becoming a more rounded individual, open to new ideas and opinions, and able to debate and analyse them. You may not ever need to know the name of the first Europen to sail to India, but the fact that you have studied the period gives you a greater awareness and, in my opinion, understanding of a range of issues from colonialism to imperialism, which allows you a more nuanced outlook on life. But then again I am a history buff so maybe I'm just biased!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I know what you mean, I'm getting my results tomorrow too and I remember thinking as I was cramming the week before "When will I EVER need to know about the sexual reproduction of plants?! Or how to work out imaginary numbers?!" Most of the stuff has already left my head.

Where as things like Economics and Accounting will probably help me a lot in the future as I know how the country is run and how to organise my finances. It all depends on what subjects are relevant to you I guess...and some stuff is just not relevant to anyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Einhard wrote: »
    I think the value of a good education can't be measured purely on the job opportunities it might afford. There is also a value in becoming a more rounded individual, open to new ideas and opinions, and able to debate and analyse them. You may not ever need to know the name of the first Europen to sail to India, but the fact that you have studied the period gives you a greater awareness and, in my opinion, understanding of a range of issues from colonialism to imperialism, which allows you a more nuanced outlook on life. But then again I am a history buff so maybe I'm just biased!!

Or just go travelling for a year!!

I would say that 85% of what I learned is of no relevance now and I wish the other 15% was better taught!

orourkeda wrote: »
    The stuff you learn in school is of use only in very limited circumstances.

Only if you decide to a third level education immediately after leaving school. Otherwise, its a waste of time.

I don't really agree with that. I think that what you learn in school, and the process of learning itself, can have a major impact on an individual. You may forget all the facts and dates, and who said what exactly in Hamlet, but it all subtly shapes your opinions and influences, and even directs how you live your life. It's the same with reading. I certainly don't remember all the information in all the books I've ever read, but I know they've all slowly and imperceptibly shaped me into who I am today.

jester77 wrote: »
    Or just go travelling for a year!!

I would say that 85% of what I learned is of no relevance now and I wish the other 15% was better taught!

I know people who've travelled the world, and have absolutely no knowledge of any country they've visited beyond what they gleaned from the Lonely Planet in their hostel. Coincidentally, they're often the same people who claim that their school years were a waste of time...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Disregarding the actual subjects you study, you've (hopefully) learned to respect authority, meet deadlines, be punctual, think critically, follow instruction, manage time and develop relationships. All pretty important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Einhard wrote: »
    I know people who've travelled the world, and have absolutely no knowledge of any country they've visited beyond what they glamed from the Lonely Planet in their hostel. Coincidentally, they're often the same people who claim that their school years were a waste of time...

They would be the same people who you'll find every night in the local Irish bar abroad, they might as well have stayed at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Education is great but that's not what school is about. An arbitrary grind toward exams, with an emphasis on rote learning.

And drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

I'd say it does matter a lot, yes.

Might get a few cynical answers here though.

Right, so I don't talk at length on the Champagne region and its topography on a daily basis, I can hardly remember what derivation is at this stage and I don't even live in Ireland, let alone speak Irish daily but its more about being generally educated.

Living out of the country was the first time I appreciated speaking Irish and the history Ireland has to be proud of. It's not really until you mix with other cultures you realize it. The States is the worst, 200 years of bland history and thats it. Going back 800 years for us isn't even doing us justice. My girlfriend is of Irish heritage, her family are mad for asking me questions about Ireland, history and how to say things in Irish. Not the most practical use but what a fool I'd look if I didn't even know!

I did a lot of travelling in Europe a few years back. I was good at Geography and I think it was generally good to know where I was and about the areas. You'd be surprised how few people I met from other countries have no idea where they were, what languages were spoken, what currency to use and anything about he areas they were travelling in.

I don't quote Shakespeare or Heaney daily but it's the experience to have studied them and be aware of them.

I work in an Investments Firm now, I was never top of the class in Maths and even dropped Business studies after Junior Cert. Other paths have lead me here.

The problem is that no, you won't go to college and use every detail of every subject you did and get a job which requires every ounce of knowledge you get from your college course.

It's literally a mixture of stuff you learned through school, college and self learning is where you'll end up. It's not all about jobs either. Just small things like I was saying, in day to day life, knowing them or having learned them just makes you more aware of the world, more intelligent and more well rounded.

Learning Irish is a pain and you'll swear to never speak it again after Irish Paper 2... give it a few years, you'll be surprised how much you wish you had the fluency if nothing else but because it's part of your heritage. Heck, you'll take a trip to Galway and have a pint with a few lads and only wish you could converse with them as they do among themselves.

Sorry, thats all cheesy, but yeah, don't disregard it all, you'll use it all eventually.

Advertisement