Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thin Lizzy Live at the Olympia theatre Dublin thursday february 17th!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Vivian Campbell from Def Leppard is the band's guitarist

And support will most likely come from The Supersuckers, who support the band in the UK

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

And there not playing the O2 anymore

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

S'pose I'll go along if theres nowt else on.......not sure I want to see Ricky Warwick though:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Ugh! Definetly not going to see that. Philo must be turning in his grave!??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Ugh! Definetly not going to see that. Philo must be turning in his grave!??

I agree. I really wish they'd put this to bed. How can even called it Thin Lizzy?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Ha ha ... what happened to the rumoured O2 slot ... as if.

I'll give this a wide berth ... "it does exactly what it doesn't say on the tin"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'll go but only cos my good mate from Wales will be working the tour.

Would not pay that much for a covers band

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭finhex

When they continue to rob the graves why not hire Dio as support act... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Takemyscars72

finhex wrote: »
    When they continue to rob the graves why not hire Dio as support act... :(
    I think that they are just trying to get Thin Lizzy to a broader/wider audience,not rip-off or cash in on the death and legacy of Phil Lynott.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think that they are just trying to get Thin Lizzy to a broader/wider audience,not rip-off or cash in on the death and legacy of Phil Lynott.

They had a pretty good go at doing that already, hence all the hassle they caused a few months back over the Vibe For Philo.

If I want to hear a great Thin Lizzy cover act, then I will wait until Thin As Lizzy or similar are touring again, and not give a penny to these leaches.

• Advertisement

I think that they are just trying to get Thin Lizzy to a broader/wider audience....

See i'm not sure that you really need to do anything to do this as they're are already a household name/established band in the history of irish music. & anyone interested in/new to rock/metal will seek them out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

sentient_6 wrote: »
    How can even called it Thin Lizzy?!

Well Brian Downey is back playing now (so I believe), and he's a founding member of Thin Lizzy and he played on all their albums, so why can't he call it that? It's a more genuine version of Thin Lizzy than the one I saw play a couple of years ago.

I'd much rather they gave Wayne Ellis a gig, does a great job with Limehouse and at least he won't turn it into a metal show like Sykes or Warwick!!!;)

l_5db37368a991e8ec0a73960127bf6220.jpg

Well Brian Downey is back playing now (so I believe)

Aye saw that alright on wikipedia after i posted earlier. Lends slight more credibility to it i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

I dont understand why when Scott Gorham was reforming the band again he just didnt get Gary Moore on Vocals and guitar.. People would actually pay to see that..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

that Ellis fella looks more the part.. 3 obvious aspects

but regarding whether the current roster should continue using the name? clutchin at straws but at least it keeps the name on the billboards, in the listings, in people's consciousness.. as that'll likely get more notice than the band by folks at the actual show

the thin lizzy logo is an iconic symbol of classic rock worldwide n the first or second generations of any genre will feature the only acts anyone should care to remember for generations whilst history ultimately just repeats itself for the remaining generations after. pioneers, but then there was still plenty of unexplored territory to pioneer.. but very distinct sound was lizzy. n unique frontman of course, particularly at that place in time.. anyhow i'm sayin let the show go on - for said reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I dont understand why when Scott Gorham was reforming the band again he just didnt get Gary Moore on Vocals and guitar.. People would actually pay to see that..

Yeah, that would be something alright, but I don't think you'd have a chance in hell of getting Moore to tour thin lizzy material.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭finhex

Well Brian Downey is back playing now (so I believe), and he's a founding member of Thin Lizzy and he played on all their albums, so why can't he call it that? It's a more genuine version of Thin Lizzy than the one I saw play a couple of years ago.
    Original Lizzy was disbanded by Phil Lynott so it's hard to understand that somebody else starts that thing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Takemyscars72

It would be great if they are touring that instead of using the Thin Lizzy name they toured under the name Thin Lizzy:A tribute to Phil Lynott,just like Vinny Apice,Geezer Butler and Tony Iommi did with Heaven and Hell/Dio,although that was a once off............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

They called the band Heaven and Hell for legal rather than altruistic reasons, though, I believe...

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    They had a pretty good go at doing that already, hence all the hassle they caused a few months back over the Vibe For Philo.

If I want to hear a great Thin Lizzy cover act, then I will wait until Thin As Lizzy or similar are touring again, and not give a penny to these leaches.

Totally agree. Thin Lizzy ended when Phil decided to end it. Anything else is just a cabaret act.

They should call the tour: Thin Lizzy: A Tribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Personally I think Brian and Scott have every right to use the name for the years of hard work with the band. I went to see the Sykes led band in Vicar St a few years ago and although it was a decent show it just didn't feel the same. I saw lizzy several times in the late 70s and early 80s and when Phil opened up a show it was very special. Getting that mirror from his bass reflecting in your face was some feeling. I will go to this gig out of curiousity and with low expectations.

rednik wrote: »
    Personally I think Brian and Scott have every right to use the name for the years of hard work with the band. I went to see the Sykes led band in Vicar St a few years ago and although it was a decent show it just didn't feel the same. I saw lizzy several times in the late 70s and early 80s and when Phil opened up a show it was very special. Getting that mirror from his bass reflecting in your face was some feeling. I will go to this gig out of curiousity and with low expectations.

Don't waste your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It would be great if they are touring that instead of using the Thin Lizzy name they toured under the name Thin Lizzy:A tribute to Phil Lynott,just like Vinny Apice,Geezer Butler and Tony Iommi did with Heaven and Hell/Dio,although that was a once off............

Given the falling out they have had with Phil's mother, I don't see that happening. The way they tried to use the upcoming 25th anniversary vibe to help promote themselves, whilst having nothing to do with the vibe themselves, showed them up as money grasping sods.

There will be plenty of tribute bands around who will sound better come January, and make for an excellent night out for those who want to remember Phil and his music.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philsopher

This happened in 2006 (I think) for the Vibe in The Point. I caught a showing of it on Sky Arts there recently and was impressed*. Gary Moore was the lead singer and anchor of the show, introduced Gorham, Robertson etc. while Downey played throughout. Check out some clips on youtube or keep an eye out for a repeat showing. Excellent version of Black Rose.

*When I say impressed, I would be of the school of thought that believes Thin Lizzy ended when Phil Lynott announced the split and that there is no Thin Lizzy without him. Any act proclaiming to be is only a tribute band and should be advertised as such. For a tribute band, I was impressed.

By the way, what's all this about a row between them and Phil's mother? Anyone care to enlighten me, please?

Read the post just above yours. The falling-out occurred when they announced that they were going to have a reunion of sorts in the 02 on the same night as the official Vibe. It made the papers, and there was even a Facebook page set up in protest. Hence the new date of Feb 17th, and the more "realistic" venue choice: Olympia Theatre.

Whether they continue with the Thin Lizzy title is debatable, but lots of people around the globe still want to hear their songs played live. Why should Gorham, Downey and to a lesser degree Wharton, just bow out when they had a hand in creating this material? They still have to make a living and all the better if it gets a younger audience interested in the band.

Star Bingo wrote: »
    that Ellis fella looks more the part.. 3 obvious aspects

Sings bloody good too.;)

Gridlock wrote: »
    Whether they continue with the Thin Lizzy title is debatable, but lots of people around the globe still want to hear their songs played live. Why should Gorham, Downey and to a lesser degree Wharton, just bow out when they had a hand in creating this material? They still have to make a living and all the better if it gets a younger audience interested in the band.

Leave off will ya!!!

• Advertisement

Leave off will ya!!!

They certainly ain't loaded in todays terms.

Advertisement