Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't Know What To Do

Options
  • 17-08-2010 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

Guys it's crunch time for me. I have to make a decision fast!

I have been offered a place in Science omnibus UCD this September. However I have a full-time job at the moment and haven't let my boss know that I intend to return to 3rd Level Full-time. I fear that when I mention it and ask to work part-time he will say no. Obviously I don't want to be attending college with no part-time job as it's really hard to nail a job these days. Money is a big issue, the tuition fee is over 7,000 euro a year for 4 years. I do have some money saved but I reckon I would still need a bank loan. (I am going to my local branch today to inquire)

The thing is if my boss says it's either the job or college ( he said this last year to me so I subsequently deferred for a year) I really don't know what to do! The job i'm in is not my career path.

If I say yes to college which means no part-time job how will I pay back my loan? Or will they even give me a loan if they know i'm not working anymore??? I need some sound advice please and fast.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I don't know if I can be much help, since I saved for years before I started t UCD, and that was with "free fees". I gave up my job, but now I tend to think I could have kept it, had I pushed for part-time.

You will have to talk to your boss at some point soon, and the best piece of advice I can give is to be straight with him/her, but you can also emphasise that even a full-time degree only ties you up for about half the year. You would be available for the other half of the year, holidays, and so on. But your semester schedule will take most of your office hours, with one or two half days a week. You'll have slack hours in between lectures that you can't really use for work, they won't be enough time for you to get to the office and back again. Not even if you work at the HP office right next to Belfield.

I can't advise you on student loans - it's something I've avoided so far, and hope to keep avoiding, since the interest rates horrify me, frankly. :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

esposito wrote: »
    The job i'm in is not my career path.

I think that says it all!! Go for it. And you never know, your boss might let you take the part-time route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭esposito

Thanks for the advice guys. I will ask my boss tomorrow, not getting my hopes up though.

Advertisement