Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for the best place for steak in cork city

Options
  • 17-08-2010 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a place similar to SOHO and Captain Americas, not a formal restaurant a place were you can watch a match and get a pint aswell, SOHO and Captain Americas are great by the way but I just want a change?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Annies Gastropub, Sundays Well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Probably not going to get the best steak in the informal places (or even a passable one, for that matter). The market in cork isn't really big enough for a high end but informal place, and in terms of quality beef, you get what you pay for!

I'd love to be proved wrong, though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

Trashbat wrote: »
    Probably not going to get the best steak in the informal places (or even a passable one, for that matter). The market in cork isn't really big enough for a high end but informal place, and in terms of quality beef, you get what you pay for!

I'd love to be proved wrong, though :D

soho do very nice steaks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I remember getting , a Angus beef fillet that was dry aged for a month in luigi malones it was savage .
    That was a year or two ago not sure if they still do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Maybe it doesn't tick all the boxes, but Il Primo do a fillet steak I'd kill for right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

soho do very nice steaks

I've been very disappointed every time i've been there. The steaks are cheap bistro fare, totally unmarbled, low fat content and not cooked as required.

I also had a "Spicy Red Pepper Soup" there once that I swear was a heated up Lloyd Grossman Sauce pot from Tesco. Vile.

But then, I shouldn't expect much from Doyles (showing my Age :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

jacko1 wrote: »
    Annies Gastropub, Sundays Well

Horrifically over priced and really not nice.

If you want a really ncie steak, my opinion is go into the Market, spend about €35-€40 and do it yourself at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

gimmick wrote: »
    Horrifically over priced and really not nice.

If you want a really ncie steak, my opinion is go into the Market, spend about €35-€40 and do it yourself at home.

Seriously??? 35-40 euro for a steak??? I hope there is some typo in that sentence :eek:

Nope, no typo. What you will get for that money, to feed two people, extremely well will be far better than anything you will get in any restautant for a small fraction of the price.

Of course that is for a treat and we would not be indulging ourselves like that on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Pearl River do good steaks, despite it being a chinese restaraunt. They come out sizzling on some metal/wood plate thing! They're also huge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

mmm Steak the best one I ever had so far was in Kilkenny and Ennis,

but in saying that I thought the steak in Soho was loverly. The one that comes out on the hot rock you can cook it how you like it, not order it and have it a little underdone or little over. If only you could chargrill it at the table it would be even nicer

Zaks do a nice steak really tasty, always cooked to order, well priced.

€35 ok maybe for a steak but €40 no way unless it was one of those cows the Kobe Beef which would be a special treat...

There is another place but I cant think of it at the moment pantaloons

Sorry I just saw steak and went with it, missed the not-formal bit where you could watch the match too. Downstairs in the cornstore might work

Club Brasserie by the Clarion also does a good steak and the sirloin with bernaise sauce at Isaacs is legendary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Clancys (pub) does really good steak, probably the best I've had in the city. I don't like the place but the steak is excellent.

The restaurant in that hotel beside UCC, forget the name, 5 star place, really good.

The brick oven does a good steak.

Don't bother with Hardwood or Luigi Malones.
    gimmick wrote: »
    Nope, no typo. What you will get for that money, to feed two people, extremely well will be far better than anything you will get in any restautant for a small fraction of the price.

Of course that is for a treat and we would not be indulging ourselves like that on a regular basis.

So if you're saying spend 35-40 euro, is that for steak for two or for an entire meal for two?

The most expensive steak I ever bought was just a rib cut from a rib of beef which was around 15 euro, and was twice the size of a restaurant sirloin (so around 20 ounces). My point being that unless you're talking about roast beef then I find spending 35 euro on steak for two nearly impossible, unless you get grass fed, organic, obscurely cut steak with a 50% price increase thrown in :P

Cork isn't great for steak I'll be honest, either too small or too big with too much fat. Also, I eat mine blue, is there even a chef in Cork that can actually cook a blue steak without fúcking it up?? I've not been to Jacobs or the Ivory tower, I'd imagine they could do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I know this is nowhere near the city but if you're ever down Bantry way you HAVE to try Willie Pa's for a good steak!!! It is TO DIE FOR!!!! Best steak i have EVER had in my life - Fillet or Sirloin and at reasonable prices too! The food is incredible there in general anyway apart from their steaks at all and no i do not own the place i just feel that they deserve a plug:)!

It's a bar/restaurant between drimolegue and bantry on the country road! Can't miss it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Blairs inn in Cloghroe has nice steak if you fancy a spin out that far...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Trashbat wrote: »
    I've been very disappointed every time i've been there. The steaks are cheap bistro fare, totally unmarbled, low fat content and not cooked as required.

I also had a "Spicy Red Pepper Soup" there once that I swear was a heated up Lloyd Grossman Sauce pot from Tesco. Vile.

But then, I shouldn't expect much from Doyles (showing my Age :D)

Don't knock doyles:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Market Lane and Zaks

Won't see a match in there but I was in Jacques yesterday, the steak was omg :eek: Delicious.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Won't see a match in there but I was in Jacques yesterday, the steak was omg :eek: Delicious.

but you can pop in to Counihans next door - big screen and 3D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Maybe it doesn't tick all the boxes, but Il Primo do a fillet steak I'd kill for right now.

with FANTASTIC pepper sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I feel this is obligatory in a discussion about steak. I'd hesitate to take anyone's advice on steak if they didn't like it at least a bit rare.

125306.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭halpin17

East village Douglas also ticks all other boxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Deano boy

Love this thread since Im panning a Bday dinner at the end of the week and need a good steakhouse... is bullys any good?? Only been there once ages ago

Deano boy wrote: »
    Love this thread since Im panning a Bday dinner at the end of the week and need a good steakhouse... is bullys any good?? Only been there once ages ago

nothing wrong but so many better options these days.

My favourites in order

1. Jacques
    2. Club Brasserie
    3. Isaacs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The problem with Bullys is that it's perceived as a family restaurant, and the staff can't seem to distinguish couples out for an early evening meal together from families with screaming children, and sit them together in the same area. I refuse to go back there after the last time I was made to sit next to a 3 year old antichrist, despite saying that we were out for a quiet meal and would appreciate a seat elsewhere.

Kold wrote: »
    I feel this is obligatory in a discussion about steak. I'd hesitate to take anyone's advice on steak if they didn't like it at least a bit rare.

125306.jpg

Blue steak, rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    with FANTASTIC pepper sauce

Think you can get the same steak in the bar which would suit the op better

mmm steak..My birthday next week and we are planning already the birthday dinner. I am not a mad fan of Soho itself normally but I just remember tasting a little bit of himselfs steak on the hot rock when i was in there before and mmmm I cant wait to get my own...Mind you I am a bit partial to chargrilled steak anyone know a could place to get this in town..Cant wait

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    Blue steak, rotten.

Nothingh worse that being out with a fella who does blue steak, and all he can do is tell you how you are missing out on the real taste by having it any other way.

Medium all the way for me.

Advertisement