Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ozil to Madrid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

they will win the league this year,barca are fooked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

digme wrote: »

Haha, ya, Barca are ruined, they only have 8 world cup winners, Lionel messi and dani alves in their team..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It is true .
    Ronaldo and Kaka were going for their own glory in the first half of the season blatantly ignoring Higuain when he was the better option for a pass.
    There were various dressing room confrontations about it.
    Kaka isnt as holy as he makes out .

Wasn't there the statistic that of all the goals Ronaldo and Higuain each scored, about three of them were set up by each other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

They've added arguably the best striker in world football to what was already a frighteningly complete team. How have you deducted that they are fooked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

NickDrake wrote: »
    I agree it was somewhat based on his WC for sure. But not totally.

People had heard of Ozil. you are wrong there. He was known in European football and touted as one to watch in the WC by loads of people.

I'm afraid its you how didnt know who Ozil was. you can be sure Jose did

What ?

I would wager the bulk of this forum hadnt heard of Ozil a part from the regular bundesliga followers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

redout wrote: »
    What ?

I would wager the bulk of this forum hadnt heard of Ozil a part from the regular bundesliga followers.

Just because people have 1000 or more posts on boards.ie doesnt make them experts on football.

Jeez man get over yourself.

Explain to me why most of the media and journalsits were going on about him before the WC??

He was a star in an international comp already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I think the first person to mention him on boards was headshot a bit before the world cup.

between that and the world cup there was little or no mention of him.

This doesn't mean he's not a good player, it just means the majority of people have lives and don't have time to scout every potential decent footballer on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    96 points last year?

Add the best coach in the world.

Add Khadeira, Ozil, Di Maria, Carvalho.

Remove some beaten dockets like Raul and Guti.

The difference between double and nothing last year for Madrid was ultimately two games against Lyon and Barcelona. I'm thinking they have done what needed to be done to go that little extra.

I have to agree. Ozil is a great talent and could replace the under-performing Kaka.

Real Madrid Vs Barca will be interesting this year. But my money would be on Real Madrid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Kaka hasn't been the player he once was for a couple of seasons now imo - not at club level.

Games Goals Assists
    2005–06 49 19 05
    2006–07 48 18 09
    2007–08 41 19 12
    2008–09 36 16 10
    2009–10 33 09 08

Looks pretty consistent to me, he only played 25 league games because of injuries last season and still managed 8 gaols and 6 assists, and considering that at Milan he was THE main attacking outlet (Goals, assists, well, everything) and played basically as deep laying forward more than an attacking midfeilder, where as at Real he played much deeper and was playing behind the attackers and not as an attacker, it's not a bad return.

With a chance to get fully fit and a run of games he will be peerless again and at 28 he is in his prime.

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    I think the first person to mention him on boards was headshot a bit before the world cup.

between that and the world cup there was little or no mention of him.

This doesn't mean he's not a good player, it just means the majority of people have lives and don't have time to scout every potential decent footballer on the planet.

Yet again you are in the mindframe that boards.ie is where all the football knowledge exists.

A large number of posts does not mean a huge knowledge of players. Jsut because he wasnt mentioned on here doesnt mean he wasnt know.

Do you get my point.

The fact that some people of nearly 10000 posts on here suggests they spend a LOT of their lives on here

Just because people have 1000 or more posts on boards.ie doesnt make them experts on football.

Jeez man get over yourself.

Explain to me why most of the media and journalsits were going on about him before the WC??

He was a star in an international comp already

I'm not even following you.

I had heard of Ozil because I remember watching him play against England in some under age competition for Germany and he was touted as a talent but christ so are literally 100s of youngsters every season.

Post count has nothing to do with it - a chap could join the forum in the morning and bring a wealth of knowledge with him.

I definitely stand by what I said that a lot of this forum and a lot of football fans in general would not have heard of Ozil before the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

In fairness anyone that keeps an eye on soccer outside of the UK would have heard of Ozil. Once you see that freakish head you never forget it. Great signing for Madrid though he will probably just be sitting on the bench. But what is he 21, the resale value alone is phenomenal. Pity Barca couldnt russle up the cash for him.

What?? He has a massive ego. Leaving AC Milan for a ton of money after he said he would remain at the club for ever?

You obviously havent heard he was disrupting the dressing room last season and also causing trouble at the world cup?

Talking through your hoop.

He left Milan because Berlusconi said publicly that "Ricky must sacrifice himself for the good of Milan".

AKA, We are in running at a loss of €50million and selling ricky will put us in the black.

He was being FORCED to join city and refused to leave Milan despite being offered twice his wages and a massive signing on fee.

His contract at Real is about the same as his contract at Milan so the wages aren't an issue.

He also Gives about 40% of his wages to various charities and 10% to the church he is a member of.

He wouldn't have left Milan if he had a choice.

Yet again you are in the mindframe that boards.ie is where all the football knowledge exists.

A large number of posts does not mean a huge knowledge of players. Jsut because he wasnt mentioned on here doesnt mean he wasnt know.

Do you get my point.

The fact that some people of nearly 10000 posts on here suggests they spend a LOT of their lives on here

Not at all, I'm making a point.

Where is the fountain of all football knowedlge?

I listen to about 8-10 hours a day of sport radio. never mentioned him.

News talk, mentioned him once.

Sky sports, never heard of him been mentioned.

So the point that someone made was if your not someone who keeps an eye on the german league, you would have never heard of him.

The reason he was mentioned on every second radio/talk show after was because of his performances in the world cup.

This isn't complicated like.

redout wrote: »
    What ?

Loads of people including myself pointed him out as the youngsters to watch in the WC talent thread.

• Advertisement

So the point that someone made was if your not someone who keeps an eye on the german league, you would have never heard of him.

The reason he was mentioned on every second radio/talk show after was because of his performances in the world cup.

All over the Guardian, Times, Football websites.

RTE have a terrible sports dept. Sky Sports? No need to comment on them

The lad was well known. Simple as that. He became a household name due to the WC but he was still well known before and so many had him as one to watch.

picture.php?albumid=469&pictureid=7054

Sky Sports barely mention any sport that they dont have the rights for, in this case German football.

All over the Guardian, Times, Football websites.

RTE have a terrible sports dept. Sky Sports? No need to comment on them

The lad was well known. Simple as that. He became a household name due to the WC but he was still well known before and so many had him as one to watch.

well known is when your ma knows him.

not when two footballing nerds on the guardian football podcast are dropping him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

The player that will suddenly become the best player in the world after the WC

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055930248

Thread started June 4th.

On the first page, posts 2, 5, 6, 7 and 10 said Özil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Ha, still gets me.

Just on the Ozil wasn't known thing...

He wouldn't have been a household name lin Ireland and the UK because mot people on these islands don't watch anything besides English and Scottish footy or European games involving teams from those countries.

I'd seen him playing for Shalke and Werder and though he was good player but it was int he world cup that I though he had the potential to be world class.

The player that will suddenly become the best player in the world after the WC

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055930248

Thread started June 4th.

On the first page, posts 2, 5, 6, 7 and 10 said Özil.

see, boards IS the fountain of all football knoweldge.

The nerd strikes back. It should read. " I didnt know who Ozil was, therefore nobody else did"

The nerd strikes back. It should read. " I didnt know who Ozil was, therefore nobody else did"

I never said people didn't know he was, I couldn't give a f*ck who he is.

the hyeprbole is about the WC.

The vast majority of the Irish footballing fan base didn't know who he was.

Is that better?

And yes, I did a survery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

There are going to be a crap load of decent players just rotting on the Madrid bench now.

Arbeloa
    Garay
    Gago
    M. Diarra
    L. Diarra
    Granero
    Drenthe
    Canales
    Van der Vaart
    Benzema

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I know he's young, but Canales was idiotic to move to Madrid. Unless he shows Messi like talent, he'll never get a look in which is an awful shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Thats some squad there now Mourinho has, will be enjoyable to watch them play in La Liga this season, looking forward to it.

I never said people didn't know he was, I couldn't give a f*ck who he is.

the hyeprbole is about the WC.

The vast majority of the Irish footballing fan base didn't know who he was.

Is that better?

And yes, I did a survery.

I would agree with that. However, a few people did know of him. I seen him play for Germany and the u/21's and I watched him when he was at Schalke and his early days at Bremen.

On your point though half the Irish footballing fan base wouldn't know about 80% of the players at the World Cup.

Yeah they know of Messi, Tevez and Mascherano. Perhaps even Higuain, Samuel and Milto. But I guarantee you they never heard of Romero, Ottamendi, Burdisso, Di Maria, Palermo etc.

Archimedes wrote: »
    I know he's young, but Canales was idiotic to move to Madrid. Unless he shows Messi like talent, he'll never get a look in which is an awful shame.

That was a horrible career move. He won't get a game there at all after such a great season for Racing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Best post of the the thread.

With this signing, it really would not surprise me to see Canales going out on loan to either Getafe or back to Racing. It would be a sshame for the player to spend alot of this season on the bench especially as he is only blossoming as a player.

His development could be severely stunted unless he is at least semi regular, and given the amount of talent in his position, its hard to see how he can get in there.

Le King wrote: »
    I would agree with that. However, a few people did know of him. I seen him play for Germany and the u/21's and I watched him when he was at Schalke and his early days at Bremen.

On your point though half the Irish footballing fan base wouldn't know about 80% of the players at the World Cup.

Yeah they know of Messi, Tevez and Mascherano. Perhaps even Higuain, Samuel and Milto. But I guarantee you they never heard of Romero, Ottamendi, Burdisso, Di Maria, Palermo etc.

who cares who they know or don't know tho?

I'm sure there's leagues all over the world with players with lots of poential and you never hear of the team, never mind the player.

Some people sit on football manager all day long and think they know about the global scouting network.

But really, who gives a f*ck if he was known or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

That was a horrible career move. He won't get a game there at all after such a great season for Racing.

Agreed, and Mourinho isn't noted for nurturing young talent or building teams for the future like a Ferguson or a Wenger. He is all about the here and now, win the trophies and get the hell out of there.

To be fair though, Canales signed before Mourinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Also, i was under the impression that it was always Reals intention to loan Canales back to Racing for the season anyways.

Could well end up being the deal of the summer.

When you think that Milner will cost double that at least..... I know they have different length contracts etc but still.

He could however end up being another one of those World Cup flops :p

Doubt it though, he looks a real class act.

Real are absolutely nuts - that latest signing has taken spending on new players to over €327m in just 12 months!

That figure is more than some of the big clubs debts!

I heard Jose giving an interview when they were in the US and he was full of praise for Canales. I reckon by the end of the year he could well be a first-teamer and a star at that.

There are going to be a crap load of decent players just rotting on the Madrid bench now.

Arbeloa - decent
    Garay - average
    Gago - decent
    M. Diarra - decent
    L. Diarra - class
    Granero - decent
    Drenthe - poor
    Canales - class
    Van der Vaart - class
    Benzema - class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Just as bad as Negrado's move last Summer in the mist of a €252m spending spree, he got out asap though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I hope he is not another Robinho TBH. Erratic form, all skills and no goals/assists. If he lives up to his potential he will be great.

:bows before Pharoah Ozil:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

I wonder where Pedro Leon will fill in. Great talent, hope he does get a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I wonder where Pedro Leon will fill in. Great talent, hope he does get a shout.

Hopefully not limited to sporadic last minute appearances, and as a last resort substitute in the last minute of the last 16 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

It is true .
    Ronaldo and Kaka were going for their own glory in the first half of the season blatantly ignoring Higuain when he was the better option for a pass.
    There were various dressing room confrontations about it.
    Kaka isnt as holy as he makes out .

Higuain was just as guilty of this as Ronaldo, and while Kaka isn't the saint he's made out to be, he wasn't as selfish as the other two. I still think Higuain's selfishness knocked them out of the CL, although I also think there's about maybe 5 other players in the world I'd have preferred the chances to have fallen to.

:eek:

Thief.
    :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

So for their 6 midfield / forward positions, they have:

Ronaldo
    Kaka
    Ozil
    Pedro Leon
    Di Maria
    Benzema
    Higuain
    Granero
    Canales
    Van der Vaart
    Drenthe
    Alonso
    Khedira
    L. Diarra
    M. Diarra
    Gago

Might have to move a couple on I'd say :p

Ronaldo
    Kaka
    Ozil
    Pedro Leon
    Di Maria
    Benzema
    Higuain
    Granero
    Canales
    Van der Vaart
    Drenthe
    Alonso
    Khedira
    L. Diarra
    M. Diarra
    Gago

Ya looking at that list is madness. Real would let half of those go if they got a half decent offer. The only problem for the buying club is the wages but the likes of VDV would be a great signing for someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Ronaldo
    Kaka
    Ozil
    Pedro Leon
    Di Maria
    Benzema
    Higuain
    Granero
    Canales
    Van der Vaart
    Drenthe
    Alonso
    Khedira
    L. Diarra
    M. Diarra
    Gago

Jose also wants another striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Good move for Real Madrid, IMO. Would have liked to see him at Man Utd but didn't expect to see him. As other have mentioned, it'll be interesting to see how their midfield lines up at the start of the season. The move also makes it easier for me to see him play :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Hope he doesn't go the same way as Van Der Vaart, he could walk into most teams in Europe.

Not gunna complain though, thanks for taking a rivals best player!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    96 points last year?

Add the best coach in the world.

Add Khadeira, Ozil, Di Maria, Carvalho.

Remove some beaten dockets like Raul and Guti.

The difference between double and nothing last year for Madrid was ultimately two games against Lyon and Barcelona. I'm thinking they have done what needed to be done to go that little extra.

Compared to their previous Summers' transfer activity, done relatively cheaply as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's almost as if some people are suggesting that neither Mourinho nor Madrid's vast scouting network were aware of the existence of Özil and were waiting on boards.ie to give them a tip-off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement