Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ozil to Madrid

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's almost as if some people are suggesting that neither Mourinho nor Madrid's vast scouting network were aware of the existence of Özil and were waiting on boards.ie to give them a tip-off.

+1

The argument over how many people on boards knew about him, as though that somehow informed the proportion of European scouts likely to know about him, has been very lolworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

The original argument was that he was only signed based on his world cup performances.

No world cup or no big world cup performance this summer then the big clubs would not have been falling over themselves to have signed him in such a hurry.

I had heard of him from playing against England in an underage tournament back in 2009 - it means nothing.

There are 100s of youngsters mentioned every season all over europe and 95% will never be heard of again after that brief mention.

The argument he starred in a big international tournament - lol it was an underage tournament ffs - how many youngsters star in them things never to be heard of again?

Also that he was tipped as a star at the world cup by some journos? as were probably a youngster or two from most countries before the tournament in fairness but the majority of them didnt.

Where big clubs scouting networks aware ? yes more than likely as its their job

Where the majority of football fans aware? no - most had never heard of the chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

attachment.php?attachmentid=124610&stc=1&d=1282146155

Looks like a happy young fella anyway

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

redout wrote: »
    The original argument was that he was only signed based on his world cup performances.

No world cup or no big world cup performance this summer then the big clubs would not have been falling over themselves to have signed him in such a hurry.

---

Where big clubs scouting networks aware ? yes more than likely as its their job

Where the majority of football fans aware? no - most had never heard of the chap.

Does your argument make any sense to you? Who signed Özil, Real Madrid or some punter in the street?
    They got him for a paltry 15 million - who else made any attempt to sign him?
    Why did Man City not give up on Milner after his poor World Cup showing, following this shambolic line of logic?

Does your argument make any sense to you? Who signed Özil, Real Madrid or some punter in the street? Why did Man City not give up on Milner after his poor World Cup showing, following this shambolic line of logic?

Yes it does but you obviously dont get it. Original argument was that he was signed based on his world cup performances which I believe is correct. I said that many football fans had not heard of Ozil which I also believe to be correct. Barcelona, Man Utd and Inter Milan were all closely linked - you obviously dont know the story to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

keane2097 wrote: »
    People seem to be completely forgetting that Mourinho is in charge of Madrid this season.

They're going to be fcuking monsters, and a misfiring Kaka will find himself on the bench reputation or no reputation.

Very true. Kaka has not been playing well for a while now, and was poor at the World Cup aswell so if Ozil does a good job he has every chance of keeping his place. Whether he's actually good enough remains to be seen. All in all though 15 mil is not a bad price by today's standards, especially for a young player with lots of potential.

Boskowski wrote: »
    attachment.php?attachmentid=124610&stc=1&d=1282146155

Looks like a happy young fella anyway

You'd be smiling too if you just signed a contract worth €30 million!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

redout wrote: »
    Yes it does but you obviously dont get it. Original argument was that he was signed based on his world cup performances which I believe is correct. I said that many football fans had not heard of Ozil which I also believe to be correct. Barcelona, Man Utd and Inter Milan were all closely linked - you obviously dont know the story to be honest.

"Closely linked" - the most meaningless phrase in sports journalism, the laziest tool in the rumour-monger's arsenal. I'd wager every single player who had even one half-decent game at the tournament was 'closely linked' with each of the top 10 clubs in Europe. How many actual bids were made?

It could well be that Real's president ordered Özil after seeing him in a couple of games. It's just odd that he didn't try to buy Sneijder or Robben.

"Closely linked" - the most meaningless phrase in sports journalism, the laziest tool in the rumour-monger's arsenal. I'd wager every single player who had even one half-decent game at the tournament was 'closely linked' with each of the top 10 clubs in Europe. How many actual bids were made?

It could well be that Real's president ordered Özil after seeing him in a couple of games. It's just odd that he didn't try to buy Sneijder or Robben.

What do you me to say ?

Fergie attended his game with Fulham last week to watch him play and was then reported that he talked to his club officials after the game.

Also last week it was widely reported that a deal had been agreed with Barcelona.

As for Inter Milan his club favoured selling him to them according to reports as they were offering far more money.

He only cost €15m apparently because his contract is up next season and his father said that if the club dont allow him to sign for Real Madrid then he will stay and then leave on a free the following season.

This is all the stuff that was reported in the press as regards the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

According to Strachan on Off the Ball on Newstalk tonight, Barca made a blank cheque offer to Ozil, which he promptly told them where to put, and that he would never play for Barcelona as he has always been a Real fan.

Hero.

Advertisement