Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

injured fish?

• 17-08-2010 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hiya

Got a new fish tank at the weekend. We have a couple of gold fish and two of the blaack ones with the big eyes (possibly moorish idols) sorry im a bit new to this. We got the fish on Saturday and on Sunday I noticed on of the black fish seems to have trouble swimming and spends most of its time lying on the gravel. It moves when it has to but not like the others. Also the other black one can get quite agressive towards the gold fish.

I jjust want a happy, healthy tank, any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Catch the injured fish and bring it back to where you bought it

I would get a replacment as not all the Fish will be healthy

I would do this asap as if the fish is sick and not injured your other fish could become sick very Quickly

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Have you cycled your tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 frankied1

I am not too sure what you mean by cycled. I done what the guy in the pet shop told me to, which was soak the filter for at least a half an hour, wash the gravel and leave the water and filter in for an hour before putting the fish in.

I put the lights on for few hours each evening when I get in from work. Day 5 they are all still alive but nothings changed yeah thanks i guess i might have to take him back:confused::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Did the Shop not give you anything to remove the Chlorine from the water ?

oh yeah sorry i forgot to mention that yes there was a conditioner that came with the tank and we put that in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I'd start by testing the water, try buying the kit that tests for pH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite with the test tubes, rather than test strips.

It sounds like your tank might be cycling and he's not able for it.

cheers for help i think i might have to go back down to the pet shop. One more question for ya what is cycling?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Nitrogen Cycle

It's very important, I didn't know this either when I first got my tank, I was more concerned with getting them out of their bowl.

What size tank is it and how many fish are in it?

Some fish don't live well together so that could be another cause.

Thanks the link was very helpful. I think it is 2 feet. 2 gold fish, 2 black fish and 4 of those tiny ones that dart around. I was going to add more but on reading the link about cycling I think i had better wait and getsome thing to test the water PH just wish I had been told all of this when i bought the tank. Oh well thank god for boards!

Advertisement