Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera lens info please

Options
  • 17-08-2010 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a new digital camera, specifically, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 camera. It comes with a 14-42mm lens on it. I really don't understand lenses and what this relates to, I've only ever bought cameras with optical and digital zoom on them.

Can somebody tell me, what would this lens equate to in terms of optical zoom, or what lens would be best suited for a good zoom, and which would be better for general standard shots?

Apologies if I don't understand some of the terminology with the lenses, complete novice when it comes to the settings of these things.

Thanks.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

The lens is a zoom lens and you manually turn a ring on it to change the focal length between 14mm and 42mm. It's a really good general purpose lens. It's a million times better than "digital" zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 eamokeno

Hi,

Thanks, but what do the 14-44mm mean do you know? Would this lens be good for distance, or would you think another lens would be better used for that?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

eamokeno wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks, but what do the 14-44mm mean do you know? Would this lens be good for distance, or would you think another lens would be better used for that?

Thanks.

14-44mm is the focal length of the lens. 14mm you would be able to get a wide shot of an entire room. 44mm would be more a portrait style zoom. Although you could use it competely different.

For long range shots like wildlfe etc... you would want maybe 100mm +. I use an 18-55mm for standard everyday, party etc... shots and a 55-250mm for long range. ie at full 250mm I can zoom right into details on a sign I could barely see with my eye.

NothingMan wrote: »
    14-44mm is the focal length of the lens. 14mm you would be able to get a wide shot of an entire room. 44mm would be more a portrait style zoom. Although you could use it competely different.

For long range shots like wildlfe etc... you would want maybe 100mm +. I use an 18-55mm for standard everyday, party etc... shots and a 55-250mm for long range. ie at full 250mm I can zoom right into details on a sign I could barely see with my eye.

Hi,

Thanks for that. I just don't understand what each lens allows for. I'll look into getting a 100+mm lens for the camera. Would the 14-44mm be suitable for everyday use?

Thanks.

eamokeno wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for that. I just don't understand what each lens allows for. I'll look into getting a 100+mm lens for the camera. Would the 14-44mm be suitable for everyday use?

Thanks.

Exactly.

I have a 55-250mm.

55mm.
    CA3E3BDCD59244568AFD87AC5B041E71-800.jpg

250mm

6D102D0CAAF44228B6FE0C20A48242AD-800.jpg

So that's it zoomed right into a point on the first shot. So you would imagine in a small room you would need something like your 14-44mm to so you don't have to be squashed against a wall to get your subject in frame.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Thanks for that. Great demonstration with the lenses, really appreciate it.

I'll look into getting 2 lenses for a camera.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Actually, just to complicate matters a little, 14mm on a 4/3rds camera isn't actually -that- wide. It's the equivalent of 28mm on a 35mm or full frame camera. OTOH the long end is a good short telephoto length, so all in all it's a good walk around lens. To the OP, if you're considering the camera I'd get it just with this one lens, and then after a while using it you can decide whether or not you want to tool up on the wide end or the long end depending on what you end up shooting the most.

Just out of curiosity, which of these 2 would you recommend for a good starter camera;

- Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
    - Nikon D5000

They both seem fairly similar to me, except for a better ISO exposure on the Nikon I've read.

Thanks.

Actually, just to complicate matters a little, 14mm on a 4/3rds camera isn't actually -that- wide. It's the equivalent of 28mm on a 35mm or full frame camera. OTOH the long end is a good short telephoto length, so all in all it's a good walk around lens. To the OP, if you're considering the camera I'd get it just with this one lens, and then after a while using it you can decide whether or not you want to tool up on the wide end or the long end depending on what you end up shooting the most.

Always forget about the oul cropped sensor difference. But even still I find my kit lens at 18mm is pretty darn wide, never had anything smaller though.

Always forget about the oul cropped sensor difference. But even still I find my kit lens at 18mm is pretty darn wide, never had anything smaller though.

Hi,

So would this lens be a good lens for zooming into distant objects?
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1647750/art/nikon/nikkor-18-105-mm-f-3-5-5.html

I'd also be looking at this camera too
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2739792/art/nikon/d5000-af-s-dx-18-55mm-ii.html

Good camera to start off with?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement