Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What career did you end up with?

Options
  • 17-08-2010 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im a student in arts (Eng and Sociology) and going into my last year. Is it really bad that i have not made my mind up for what i want to do after this course? I dont know what area of work i want to go into. Im really into music and on grade 6 of piano and have been playing guitar for ten years. I really regret not doing music in college. Other than music I like cooking. I would like to own my own cafe. I would also like to teach. I cant make up my mind and im getting worried.

Can anyone who done eng and sociology tell me what areas of work they got into or what jobs I could go for that maybe i might like but not aware of? :)

Any help would be brilliant!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

JajaD wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im a student in arts (Eng and Sociology) and going into my last year. Is it really bad that i have not made my mind up for what i want to do after this course? I dont know what area of work i want to go into. Im really into music and on grade 6 of piano and have been playing guitar for ten years. I really regret not doing music in college. Other than music I like cooking. I would like to own my own cafe. I would also like to teach. I cant make up my mind and im getting worried.

Can anyone who done eng and sociology tell me what areas of work they got into or what jobs I could go for that maybe i might like but not aware of? :)

Any help would be brilliant!! :)

Such is the life of an Arts grad :) Where to go, what to do...if anything having an Arts degree makes these questions even harder. You feel the pressure of now having a degree and having to make decisions, but having a BA that can be worth sweet FA in most cases.

I did Arts too - Maths and Sociology. Got an entry level job with AIB when I finished. Stayed for 3 years. Did a **** load of banking exams with Institute of Bankers cos they were free. Had to leave AIB as it was the worst working enviroment imaginable. Went back to col and did a masters in Marketing. Started a Phd. Quit after 4 months. Now I work in Marketing for one of the most exciting companies in the world and I love it.

Basically, nothing to do with my Arts degree. I don't think anyone I know from my degree uses their, apart from those who went on to teach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    Such is the life of an Arts grad :) Where to go, what to do...if anything having an Arts degree makes these questions even harder. You feel the pressure of now having a degree and having to make decisions, but having a BA that can be worth sweet FA in most cases.

I did Arts too - Maths and Sociology. Got an entry level job with AIB when I finished. Stayed for 3 years. Did a **** load of banking exams with Institute of Bankers cos they were free. Had to leave AIB as it was the worst working enviroment imaginable. Went back to col and did a masters in Marketing. Started a Phd. Quit after 4 months. Now I work in Marketing for one of the most exciting companies in the world and I love it.

Basically, nothing to do with my Arts degree. I don't think anyone I know from my degree uses their, apart from those who went on to teach.

Thanks for your reply :) Will take that on board...(so to speak)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Hey, that's the exact same degree as me, English and Soc and Pol :)

Hadn't a clue what i wanted to do though, sort of went to college because it was the expected thing. Worked part time, got into the care industry and seven years after graduating from Arts, I finished a social work masters.. in between i travelled for a year, worked in a variety of care settings and a few shops. My Arts degre didn't technically automatically get me into the course, so I have to do a part time course in social policy to increase me chances.

I have other friends who did similar subjects in Arts, and one is now working in IT (needed a masters), some are teaching, some are part time in music, part time working to fund it.

You could consider a course in music, sure it may cost you but i have a friend who completed Arts and is now considering Music in Maynooth.

The Careers office may help, they are hit and miss sometimes, but worth a shot. Arts IMO is only a low step on a big ladder, so you will need to top up your courses and get experience to make something of it (that is if you want to stick with the Arts route!)

Good luck!

Advertisement