Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinyl Wall Covering???

• 17-08-2010 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Folks,

am currently invloved with our local football team. We have a changing room which currently has walls (thin wood) which are painted a dark grey (it appears to be high gloss paint finish).

We wish to brighten the place up and considered painting it, but this would involve sanding and a couple of coats of paint (solvent based??) - and as the room is inside a shipping container and has no windows this might be too much hassle.

I was wondering if it is possible to use the self-adhesive vinyl film (roll)used for graphics to simply put over the existing finish. (we would wipe the walls before with soap/water or rubbing alcohol). Benefit would be ease of application.

Is this feasible?
    Long term durability?
    Cost? (we are voluntray group so no major funds)
    Places to buy the material at low cost?

Any advice would be brilliant.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can see your problem with the paint, but don't put the vinyl on, it won't work. You will find the wall isn't as smooth as you think it is, and you will have trouble sticking it, and it will peel itself off at the smallest provocation.

Given the heat extremes you are likely to get in a container I don't really see much alternative to painting. Could you get some low odour paint, have the doors wide open and a couple of fans going? (thats air moving fans, not your supporters, though I suppose that would do if you gave them large sheets of cardboard to wave :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

There are some pretty good water based (acrylic) floor paints available now which would be very durable on a wall surface and have less VOCs (the chemicals that pollute the atmosphere and give you a headache!). You would still need some minimal ventilation while using these paints though. I've used a floor paint by International Paints recently- quick and easy to use and economical especially if you use a glosser roller.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Darando

what prep would be needed for the painting. As I said its grey gloss paint which is painted om hardbaord- no idea of whether its solvent or water based...don't fancy a sanding job tbh. Can wipe it down with meths to degrease.

Now we are not loooking for a perfect job here (like in a house) - so once it stays on for a good few years!!!

could i just use acrylic gloss such as Leyland acrylic gloss - would rather use a roller though

I had missed the point about the walls being lined with hardboard. I still think the vinyl would not be a good result though. If you washed the existing paint with sugar soap and just sanded it enough to break the surface of the paint - basically 'wipe' it all over' with coarse sandpaper you should be able to apply a coat of gloss with a reasonable expectation that it will stay on.

The hardboard is probably fixed to a baton frame? If they are full sheets is there any chance you could take them off and take them outside to paint? Or even invest in some new sheets of hardboard, paint them outsite and then put them up?

I think that if you made a strong adhesive solution you could put up something like woodchip and paint over it. Wash with sugar soap, apply adhesive to both paper and hardboard and apply wallpaper. It would still need to be painted though, but you could use vinyl emulsion. You are in danger of pulling the hardboard off the battons though, it would need to be well fixed.

Use those abrasive sponges sold in DIY shops etc, with water in bucket, to quickly rub down existing gloss paint to give a light key. Very quick and no dust, just wipe up the mess with J cloths as you go. Then 2 coats of acrylic floor paint. Why bother removing existing hardboard if it is sound? That's turning a quick decorating job into carpentry, in my books anyway.

• Advertisement

Use those abrasive sponges sold in DIY shops etc, with water in bucket, to quickly rub down existing gloss paint to give a light key. Very quick and no dust, just wipe up the mess with J cloths as you go. Then 2 coats of acrylic floor paint. Why bother removing existing hardboard if it is sound? That's turning a quick decorating job into carpentry, in my books anyway.

Yes I agree, just throwing out a couple of ideas to get round the fumes issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Darando

might give the sanding sponge/water a go and then the acrylic floor paint - any stockists in dublin??? probably need a magnolia colour:) - will use a gloss roller also

Any paint supplier or hardware store should stock floor paint, just check it is water based and low on VOCs.

Advertisement