Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sumac Staghorn

Options
  • 17-08-2010 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a Sumac Staghorn tree for my front garden. Ive tried some of the local garden centres in Kilkenny but have had no luck. Any suggestions as to where I might find one?

See the link below for some information on the tree, its a real beaut up close.......

http://www.djroger.com/staghorn_sumac.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

If it's the same tree that I think then keep an eye out for gardens with them. They're absolutely prolific and send up dozens of shoots / suckers (not sure what the technical term is) every year. Or at least it did in our old garden and another pal has one in her garden, or had one, now there's about twenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If it's the same tree that I think then keep an eye out for gardens with them. They're absolutely prolific and send up dozens of shoots / suckers (not sure what the technical term is) every year. Or at least it did in our old garden and another pal has one in her garden, or had one, now there's about twenty.

+1000 don't do it! There will be sumachs in the surrounding three parishes. And when you decide its too much trouble, you will have to poison it to get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Ya, I have heard they cause allot of problems with suckers alright... I was planning on putting it in the centre of a small lawn and was hoping the regular mowing would keep the suckers under control???
    Its a pity because they are a beautiful tree...

Any other suggestions? I am looking for a medium sized tree for a front garden, something to brighten up a dull lawn and provide some coverage to our sitting room window from nosey neighbours!!

Thanks lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

D_Red_Army wrote: »
    Ya, I have heard they cause allot of problems with suckers alright... I was planning on putting it in the centre of a small lawn and was hoping the regular mowing would keep the suckers under control???

Any other suggestions? I am looking for a medium sized tree for a front garden, something to brighten up a dull lawn and provide some coverage to our sitting room window from nosey neighbours!!

Thanks lads...

What about a birch? Beautiful tree and doesn't completely block the light but offers a nice dappled coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You could get a nice effect with autumn colour with a japanese acer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

D_Red_Army wrote: »

Thanks lads...

Maybe a Weeping Tree

Betula Pendula 'youngii' (Birch)

Blossom Cherry... Prunus Cheals 'Kiku-Shidare Sakura', or Prunus Shirotae

Beech Tree 'Fagus sylvatica 'Purpurea pendula'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

why not plant it then surround it with slates say 3ft out set down on their lenght, it worked for me, the same applies to bamboo.

Advertisement