Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You cannot be Irish unless you're a Catholic - Eamon de Valera

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Manach wrote: »
    By falling to take into account the prevailing cultural contexts at the time & calling them "Muppets" is just historical revisionism & gratuitous Catholic bashing.

Agree. I addressed the very same issue on the De Valera thread some time ago and answered it, as you do, within the context of its time. And within the contedxt of its day it was normal/usual practce for everyone. Protestants did the same standing outside Catholic Churches.

The problem is that the same old chestnuts, half truths, historic myths all get dragged out again ad infinitum - long after they have been addressed and well answered on another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I was at a Protestant Carol service in Cork in the 70's and at least one catholic priest was at it and he was a cousin & friendly with the protestant minister.

I also remember the local protestants distributing Books of Psalms by Gideon and they had asked a priests permission and he accompanied them and introduced them.

So I think it may have been down to individuals moreso than anything else.

A relative back from the UK mentioned something about not going into the church for protestant funerals -so practice may have varied -but to me it would have been odd not to. We were impressed by the lack of kneeling.

Some of the protestant churches had limited space too as the congregations were not huge.

I cannot imagine we were the only family or town like that.

Advertisement