Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has power for intervention?

Options
  • 17-08-2010 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi, my neighbour keeps two young dogs on his truck for few days now. They are crying all the time and i dont think he has any genuine plans for them. If this wont change i feel like i should do something about it, but dont know what. Who should i inform if i witness any illegal actions and what where can i check what are the animal right in Ireland? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The ISPCA Handbook available as a download here

http://www.ispca.ie/Legal-Handbook.aspx

However you will quickly discover that provided the dogs have food, water & shelter the ISPCA will not act. If you witness an act of cruelty, such as beating, try to record it & contact your nearest SPCA. There is also nothing to stop you making a complaint directly to the Guards.

But don't expect a quick reaction. If fact you will be lucky if they do anything. The animal welfare laws in Ireland are potentially effective but it is not regarded as a serious issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Where are they? What type of dogs are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hi. I had a similar issue lately with a neighbour lately - wont go into details - but I wrote to the ISPCA and the Gardai seeking assistance. On the day the letters arrived I got instant action and the Gardai and the ISPCA Inspector arrived at the house before lunch. I always find it better to put things in writing as a phone call can be forgotten. Also, in relation to the Gardai, address your letter to the Sergeant in Charge at the station.
    Best of luck and I hope you get this problem sorted out really soon before those dogs suffer any more.

I would agree regarding writing however I would phone first & refer to the phone call in the letter. I would suspect that this was a unusual situation. I know people that have written loads of letters to no effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hi again. It wasn't a particularly unusual situation (sadly I suppose) but three large dogs were being left unfed, without water and had begun to turn on each other. The reason my letter was so effective is probably because I worte as the Secretary of the Residents group we have here and I understand that this can carry more weight than an individual writing a letter. However, I still firmly believe in writing and, while I also agree with ringing in advance, it is vitally important to follow up the letter with a phone call as well.
    Actually, if I was very concerned for the safety of an animal I would go to the Garda Station and demand that a Garda accompany me to where the dogs are being kept and I would refuse to leave the station until that happened. But that's just me if it comes to an animal cruelty case. By and large the Gardai are good in these situations, as are the ISPCA. Actually, if you log onto their site you will get the number for the Cruelty Inspector, which is worth contacting.
    Please OP, keep us updated as I cannot get those dogs out of my mind.

• Advertisement

You will of had a clear case of cruelty as no food or water was present/given. It may be that the OP's situation is not deemed so critical. I agree that you need to pressurise the Guards if they do not act. I have heard that you can ask for an incident reference number when you phone the Guards to report cruelty. This conveys the message that you will be following up on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

Absolutely & the only reason that the Guards became involved was because the dog, in that case, was seen as a threat. There is no possibility of the culprits being prosecuted for animal abandonment which is a crime according to Irish law.

Ireland may consider itself a modern country but the way that it makes law & then decides that some law should not be enforced is more Third World.
    There is still an attitude that a dog is a man's property to do with as he sees fit & not a sentient creature that should be protected by law.

The new Dog Breeding Bill & the proposed Animal Welfare Bill will be a total waste of time without enforcement.

Advertisement