Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting College 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Ok I think I understand now :D
    I still have not recieved any notification of whether or not my grant application has been accepted. Does anybody know when they let you know whether you got the grant or not? Like, do they usually let you know before you register? Thanks a million :D
    You get a letter in the post.
    Mine was posted yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭WhosUpDocs

Jammyc wrote: »
    Not if you already have a letter from your local authority saying that you will be receiving a grant. Just bring that letter to the fees office and they'll scan it to your file.

Well I had to do that last year too but didn't get a rebate from the council until sometime in February. Maybe that's just my county councils way of doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 leinster2010

When do we have to have the registration fees paid by? I know as soon as possible and all that, but is there a deadline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Purple_Haze

When do we have to have the registration fees paid by? I know as soon as possible and all that, but is there a deadline?

I assume by the time you actually register in the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AliceXD

You're allocated a date & time to register for whatever course you're doing .. should be in the orientation pack you received :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

It depends how you're paying them.

Generally a week or so before you register is good, but I'm fairly sure they have to be paid before you go in to register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 leinster2010

Thanks people, it's just that on the e-pay site it says that the fees are to be paid by today so I was kinda freaking out. Think I'll ring them though to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kiddykat

Hey anyone get their room numbers for trinity hall yet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

kiddykat wrote: »
    Hey anyone get their room numbers for trinity hall yet? :D

Yeah, I got 85.04.01. Anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I still haven't received confirmation of my grant yet, so I'm not really sure what to do with the GF1 form yet. :/ I think I'll call up the Fees Office and ask them what the best course of action is.

• Advertisement

I still haven't received confirmation of my grant yet, so I'm not really sure what to do with the GF1 form yet. :/ I think I'll call up the Fees' Office and ask them what the best course of action is.

I emailed them about that because i'm in the same situation. I was told to send on the form if i had applied for a grant which I had so I sent it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

I applied for a grant a few weeks ago and I should get it but I haven't received anything from them back yet (I know there's a backlog too), but if it doesn't come before registration what do I do? I don't have €1,500 handy even if it'll be given back to me at a later stage??!!

I emailed them about that because i'm in the same situation. I was told to send on the form if i had applied for a grant which I had so I sent it. :D

Brilliant, thank you. :D Will they let us register in Freshers Week having sent that and the icky yellow FRS1 form?
    LadyGaga! wrote: »
    I applied for a grant a few weeks ago and I should get it but I haven't received anything from them back yet (I know there's a backlog too), but if it doesn't come before registration what do I do? I don't have €1,500 handy even if it'll be given back to me at a later stage??!!

Hopefully they'll not ask us to pay it and wait until the grant goes through and the local council or whatever can pay it. I say hopefully because if not I am SCREWED. :D

Student Fee's told me:
    If you've applied for the grant, and believe you'll get it, just fill in the GF1 form and don't pay the €1,500.

It's what I did, and no problems(and received grant acceptance yesterday).

Don't stress :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

Hopefully they'll not ask us to pay it and wait until the grant goes through and the local council or whatever can pay it. I say hopefully because if not I am SCREWED. :D

I know, I hope so too because I'm the same!!
    Tragedy wrote: »
    Student Fee's told me:
    If you've applied for the grant, and believe you'll get it, just fill in the GF1 form and don't pay the €1,500.

Ah, thank you so much :)

I think we are going to have to pay the 1500 and then it will be refunded to us. The same thing happened to a friend of mine in his first year and thats what he did.

I think we are going to have to pay the 1500 and then it will be refunded to us. The same thing happened to a friend of mine in his first year and thats what he did.
    Ring the Student Fee's office(should be on the forms) before you do that.

€1,500 is a good chunk of cash, and it'll take a while to get it back if you pay TCD and then seek to reclaim it from the Grants Scheme.

Tragedy wrote: »
    Student Fee's told me:

Good stuff, just filled it in and sent it away there. :D Hopefully it'll be grand.

Really hope this doesn't end up happening-scraping together the money for my bus ticket is daunting enough :p

Just rang the fees office, she said to avoid paying it if you're confident of getting the grant and just to send off the form. Thanks for saving me a lot of money :D

Just rang the fees office, she said to avoid paying it if you're confident of getting the grant and just to send off the form. Thanks for saving me a lot of money :D

Haha, I'm fairly confident i'll get it but can you imagine not getting it and having to give up college :( I, for one simply can't afford 1,500 euro, nevermind the tuition fees :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

By the way, does anyone know how soon before Freshers Week we find out who our tutor is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

By the way, does anyone know how soon before Freshers Week we find out who our tutor is?
    D'ya not get a letter before hand no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

By the way, does anyone know how soon before Freshers Week we find out who our tutor is? I already have a list of questions for him/her. :o

There'll probably be a mailshot sent out in the next couple of weeks, I'd say. In the meantime, you can always contact the Senior Tutor's office, and I'm sure they'd be happy to answer your questions. :)

Edit: Oh, and going by this thread, it should be early September - the start of that one was the 7th! :)

theowen wrote: »
    D'ya not get a letter before hand no?

Apparently so, I'm just wondering when to expect it, within the next few days or will it be in the days before Freshers Week? It's grand if nobody knows, it was just a passing thought in my mind. :)

Haha, I'm fairly confident i'll get it but can you imagine not getting it and having to give up college :( I, for one simply can't afford 1,500 euro, nevermind the tuition fees :rolleyes:

Aw stop! I've never worried about money so much in my whole life! County council better have it paid though or I won't be a student technically 'cause you can't register until your fee is paid so that would seriously suck!:(

Aoibheann wrote: »
    There'll probably be a mailshot sent out in the next couple of weeks, I'd say. In the meantime, you can always contact the Senior Tutor's office, and I'm sure they'd be happy to answer your questions. :)

Edit: Oh, and going by this thread, it should be early September - the start of that one was the 7th! :)

Thanks Aoibheann, you're a total legend. :D

Aw stop! I've never worried about money so much in my whole life! County council better have it paid though or I won't be a student technically 'cause you can't register until your fee is paid so that would seriously suck!:(

Haha, all that work to get into college would be out the window :D
    I think we should start applying to Mc Donalds just in case ;)

Thanks Aoibheann, you're a total legend. :D

<3

The joys of remembering threads from a year ago.. I worry about myself, I really do. And you're welcome! :)

Oh, and guys, if anyone is actually considering looking for a job, this has an email address that you send an email to in order to be added onto the mailing list for the student jobs list the SU have (horribly long, poorly phrased sentence, sorry!). Hope it's useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Aoibheann wrote: »
    <3

The joys of remembering threads from a year ago.. I worry about myself, I really do. And you're welcome! :)

Oh, and guys, if anyone is actually considering looking for a job, this has an email address that you send an email to in order to be added onto the mailing list for the student jobs list the SU have (horribly long, poorly phrased sentence, sorry!). Hope it's useful.
    Is it possible to have a job doing med does anyone know actually? I know I'll probably need one, just not sure if it's possible and whatnot.

• Advertisement

theowen wrote: »
    Is it possible to have a job doing med does anyone know actually? I know I'll probably need one, just not sure if it's possible and whatnot.

Hrmm. It's possible, yes, in the earlier years I'd say - but if you do work, I'd say work very few hours. Don't do what I did. I worked every Saturday and Sunday, about twenty hours over the two days at least. I had so little time to myself, I got really run down and was sick a lot over the course of the year. That was probably a small factor into my dropping out of medicine!

I'd say you could manage to work during first year, but beyond that I'd say no. You'll start to value your free time so much when you have so much to learn. If you could get away without working, then avoid it - but it is manageable (just about) in first med.

After first year, I'd recommend going for the scholarship exams in second year if you think you're up to it. They're special exams held in the week before semester 2 starts in January, and you need to get an average of a first (70%+) over all the papers, usually not going below 60% in any (that specific regulation may vary). The benefits are unreal if you get it:

- Free accommodation for up to five years from the following year (usually your free accommodation would then start in third year). If you live in Dublin and don't want to move out of home, you can opt for getting money instead, which works out as about half the value of the accommodation IIRC.
    - Free evening meals (Commons), and they're a three-course meal served with a glass of Guinness!
    - You don't have to pay the registration fee, just the 85 euro instead of 1585.
    - You receive a "salary" of 253.95 each year.

So it's definitely worth your while going for them, it would make the last three years of your course a hell of a lot easier as you wouldn't have to worry about a place to live, or food! :)

Advertisement