Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting College 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Hrmm. It's possible, yes, in the earlier years I'd say - but if you do work, I'd say work very few hours. Don't do what I did. I worked every Saturday and Sunday, about twenty hours over the two days at least. I had so little time to myself, I got really run down and was sick a lot over the course of the year. That was probably a small factor into my dropping out of medicine!

I'd say you could manage to work during first year, but beyond that I'd say no. You'll start to value your free time so much when you have so much to learn. If you could get away without working, then avoid it - but it is manageable (just about) in first med.

After first year, I'd recommend going for the scholarship exams in second year if you think you're up to it. They're special exams held in the week before semester 2 starts in January, and you need to get an average of a first (70%+) over all the papers, usually not going below 60% in any (that specific regulation may vary). The benefits are unreal if you get it:

- Free accommodation for up to five years from the following year (usually your free accommodation would then start in third year). If you live in Dublin and don't want to move out of home, you can opt for getting money instead, which works out as about half the value of the accommodation IIRC.
    - Free evening meals (Commons), and they're a three-course meal served with a glass of Guinness!
    - You don't have to pay the registration fee, just the 85 euro instead of 1585.
    - You receive a "salary" of 253.95 each year.

So it's definitely worth your while going for them, it would make the last three years of your course a hell of a lot easier as you wouldn't have to worry about a place to live, or food! :)

Free fees too if they bring them back in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Can you do the scholarship exams for any course, or is there a list of courses you can do 'em in? It sounds absolutely fantastic (and daunting!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Can you do the scholarship exams for any course, or is there a list of courses you can do 'em in? It sounds absolutely fantastic (and daunting!)

As far as I know, you can do them for pretty much every undergraduate degree. And yes, you can do them for Law. :)

Edit: These are the specific regulations for law, from page 10 of this.
    Candidates taking the honor course in law are examined in papers chosen by the
    candidate from any of the modules in the Junior Freshman or Senior Freshman years of
    that course, to amount to nine hours of examinations in total. Candidates taking either the
    honor course in law and German or the honor course in law and French must take a total
    of six hours of law examinations, in addition to three hours of compulsory examinations in
    foreign law and language.
    2 Candidates must give notice of their choice of modules when giving notice of their
    intention to take the examination.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

All of them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

As far as I know, you can do them for pretty much every undergraduate degree. And yes, you can do them for Law. :)
    Thanks^^:).

What exactly are they? What's the content of the test etc. Literally never heard of them before:o

• Advertisement

theowen wrote: »
    Thanks^^:).

What exactly are they? What's the content of the test etc. Literally never heard of them before:o

From here again, the regulations for medicine are the following:
    Medicine
    Candidates are examined in their course work up to the end of the Michaelmas term of the second medical year. Papers will contain material from the following disciplines: anatomy, biochemistry, physiology, molecular medicine and human development, behavioural sciences and ethics. A special topic theme will be examined in the beginning of the Hilary term which requires additional reading.

As far as I know, you can sit no more than 9 hours of exams - I'm presuming that holds for medicine as well as other courses. :)

From here again, the regulations for medicine are the following:

As far as I know, you can sit no more than 9 hours of exams - I'm presuming that holds for medicine as well as other courses. :)

Oh I think you have to get over a certain percentage in your summer exams to be allowed sit Schols in 2nd year Medicine (because so many apply).

Larianne wrote: »
    Oh I think you have to get over a certain percentage in your summer exams to be allowed sit Schols in 2nd year Medicine (because so many apply).

I was going to mention that, but I wasn't 100% sure if they still had the regulations about first year exams since the new Schols system was introduced! Before the current stystem, I believe the first year results actually counted for some of the Schol result in medicine. :eek: But I'd say you're probably right. I'm trying to find out for sure, the file I linked earlier only gives what I quoted above so I'm nosing through the medicine site now! If there's any second/third year meds around who know the regulations, let us know! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I was going to mention that, but I wasn't 100% sure if they still had the regulations about first year exams since the new Schols system was introduced! Before the current stystem, I believe the first year results actually counted for some of the Schol result in medicine. :eek: But I'd say you're probably right. I'm trying to find out for sure, the file I linked earlier only gives what I quoted above so I'm nosing through the medicine site now! If there's any second/third year meds around who know the regulations, let us know! :D

You have to average over 60 or 70% in your subjects over first and second year, or something like that. I haven't looked into Schols too much since getting 25% in my first exam :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Saturn8u

I'll be doing Science too. One of the many. Maths methods, biology, chemistry and geology are my picks. Excited!

• Advertisement

Oh! I just remembered some more useful information. A lot of you probably know that you get the Entrance Exhibition if you get 560+ points, which is worth 150 euro of book vouchers per year for the first two years of college, so that's 300 euro in total of vouchers.

Then there's also sizarships. From here:
    Sizars are entrance exhibitioners of limited means who have their Commons free. The awards of sizarship are announced at the same time as the awards of exhibitions. The period of tenure of sizarship commences from the day on which the award is announced in Michaelmas term. Persons wishing to be considered for the award of sizarship should send to the Senior Lecturer, on or before 1 October in their year of entry, a statement on the prescribed form showing that they are qualified on the ground of limited means. Only those persons whose public examination results meet the criteria for the award of entrance exhibition will be considered. Sizarships are tenable, provided there is no significant change in a holder’s means, until the end of the year (Senior Freshman or Junior Sophister) in which the foundation scholarship examination in the
    holder’s subject is designed to take place. Sizars who have to repeat a year or otherwise fail to make satisfactory progress forfeit their award and the same penalty may be inflicted for any grave violation of College discipline.

You automatically get awarded the Entrance Exhibition should your points be sufficient, but you have to apply for the sizarship (which is essentially means-tested), and the form for that is here.

Oh, and if you happen to be from Kerry, there's also the Reid Entrance Exhibition, the details of which are also in the links above, and the application form is the same as the sizarship one I believe.

Hopefully this will be useful to some of you! :) There are some other scholarships for specific courses (e.g. physics) as well, but they generally have application dates a bit into term, and forms would be available on the course webpage.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

What's the story with Entrance Exhibitions? I've heard many a thing, including "you get it if you're the highest 10% in your course", "you get it if you got over 535", and "you get it if you got over 560". I spose I'll trust you Aoibheann, you seem to know what you're talking about. :P

A Neurotic wrote: »
    You have to average over 60 or 70% in your subjects over first and second year, or something like that. I haven't looked into Schols too much since getting 25% in my first exam :o

Hope the exam went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

zam wrote: »
    What's the story with Entrance Exhibitions? I've heard many a thing, including "you get it if you're the highest 10% in your course", "you get it if you got over 535", and "you get it if you got over 560". I spose I'll trust you Aoibheann, you seem to know what you're talking about. :P
    560 or over.

It changed to 560 last year, I think it used to be around 540 or so. This confirms it's 560. :) And thank you for your faith in me! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

There are also several small prizes related to your exam results and course listed in the college calendar. They're usually €200 at most so you'll probably find them out by accident instead of actively working towards them. Granted top JF chem student got 1500 this year.

Craguls wrote: »
    There are also several small prizes related to your exam results and course listed in the college calendar. They're usually €200 at most so you'll probably find them out by accident instead of actively working towards them. Granted top JF chem student got 1500 this year.

There's actually quite a lot of these prizes, the ultimate list of them seems to be this. It mentions both the entrances ones and the subject specific, exam results-based ones too. Type in your course title in the search and you'll be able to find any relevant ones. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

There's actually quite a lot of these prizes, the ultimate list of them seems to be this. It mentions both the entrances ones and the subject specific, exam results-based ones too. Type in your course title in the search and you'll be able to find any relevant ones. :)

Even that one isn't entirely comprehensive. It doesn't include the prizes which you can get for being in the top 10 in your class in EC1010 in term tests. Perhaps they've done away with it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Missed that part...such a head ache scrolling down:o

If I wasn't on boards I think I'd walk into Trinity on September 20th and die.

Thanks so much for all the information everyone, it really helps a lot. :)

• Advertisement

If I wasn't on boards I think I'd walk into Trinity on September 20th and die.

Thanks so much for all the information everyone, it really helps a lot. :)

Does your brother not tell you anything?? Well that's just mean! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

VICTOR W. GRAHAM PRIZE
    This prize, founded in 1986 from funds subscribed by friends and pupils to mark Mr V. W.
    Graham’s retirement, is awarded to the Junior Freshman in the moderatorship in computer
    science course who obtains the highest mark in the summer examination in pure mathematics.
    Value, €508.
    KENNETH MULKEARNS MEMORIAL MEDAL
    Irish Life Assurance plc founded a prize in 1992 in memory of Kenneth Mulkearns. A silver
    medal is awarded annually to the student who is placed first in the B.Sc. (Computer Science)
    degree examination.
    Pfff:rolleyes:
    WILLIAM NUROCK PRIZE
    This prize was founded in 1938 by a bequest from William Nurock. The conditions for the
    award of the prize were changed in 1984. It is now awarded annually to the best student in the
    final year examinations of the moderatorship in computer science, providing that such student
    also attains gold medal standard. Value, €762.
    Whats a "Capitol sum" in reality?
    The medal is awarded annually to the student who obtains the best overall result in the B.Sc.
    degree in Information Systems.
    The award was founded in 1993 and sponsored by the gift of a capital sum from the following
    organisations: Agricultural Credit Corporation, Sisk Group, Dascom Ltd, Greencore plc.

With the ones like "award for the highest grade in blah in the Leaving Cert", how do they know? I didn't know they got to see percentages. :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

With the ones like "award for the highest grade in blah in the Leaving Cert", how do they know? I didn't know they got to see percentages. :S

They're just hidden on the site afaik, like your random selection number.

When are these things awarded?!

Does your brother not tell you anything?? Well that's just mean! :pac:

Pfft, what does he know!? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Trackmedown

Hotaru wrote: »
    I'll be doing Science - Biology, Chemistry & Maths :)

Not my first time in college (dropped out after 2 years in UCD) but first time in Trinners so WOO! :)

im gonna be doin the same!! can't wait! see ya there :)

Any histpollers lurking around, or even just historians? It'd be nice to have some course buddies pre-college. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Any histpollers lurking around, or even just historians? It'd be nice to have some course buddies pre-college. :P

Not technically a histpoller, I'll be doing European Studies but History and Political Science and History were my second and third choices .

I like history :pac:

• Advertisement

Good choice ;) I hear European Studies is amazing.

Advertisement