Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard and Easy

Options
  • 17-08-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭

Hey!

I've posted everywhere else on the internet so I might as well add a boards thread to my quitting smoking repetoire. I'm onto my second day of giving up.

Yesterday morning, at 7.40am I had stayed up all night and smoked a 19 fags in the space of about ten hours. I had one left. I knew to get more I'd have to borrow some cash of my mother who had provided the last 20 box to last me 24 hours (I'm an unemployed graduate who's about to accept a masters because there's absolutely no jobs out there for me.) So instead of pleading with her, I decided to give up.

That was yesterday at 7.40am and I still haven't had one. Although I had pulled an all nighter staying awake for about 40 hours, so I slept from about 4pm yesterday to 9am today, which I've no doubt helped a bit. But it's still been 15 hours of wakefulness without a smoke.

I have to say it's been a bit easier than I thought. When I get a craving I just drink some coffee, I've been through about three pots today, and I'm using fake sugar so that's alright. The biggest problem is when I realise I'll never have a cigarette again. It's easy enough to justify holding off for five minutes, knowing the craving will go. But to think I'll never have one of those delicious, lung filling smokes again is torture. Far too permanent for me. But I write a post on a forum like this, and it's gone again.

I've kept that last fag of the 20 box next to me as well. So I know if I really really want one, I can just have it. I think if I had none at all I'd go crazy and have to buy some, just in case. But I still haven't had it 33 hours later.

Still, it has been going easier than I thought it would. I think it's because I had some strong motivation and properly decided to do it that I'm going alright. I've gotten over the first hour, I've gotten over the first coffee, I've gotten over the first big meal, and I've gotten over the first waking up, all without a smoke. Now I just have to get over tomorrow night and drinking with the friends to manage it. Luckily none of them smoke.

Anyway, best of luck to anyone else giving up. If you haven't convinced yourself that you want to give up, there's no point. You'll have one. But if you decide in your heart of hearts that you're done with them, it's easier than you think.

Best of luck to you all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Best of luck to you too, it was easier than i thought too. im off them over 6 weeks now. it just gets easier and easier. keep it up, let us know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

Good Luck Buceph! Like Mackman I am off them over 6 weeks now and it does get much much easier.
    I will post a few links that Boards users posted for me and it will help you focus on quitting.
    Best of Luck you have made the right decision ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭whatsherface

Hi OP I am on day three of no smoking so I think we gave them up around same time. I check on stop smoking.ie everyday and it tells me how many cigerattes I HAVENT smoked and how much money I have saved :)

Keep me posted on how your doing, my plan is to just take it one day at a time and stay positive.

Good Luck OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Day three of giving up and things are going great. I had a bit of difficulty getting to sleep last night, but after watching a few DVDs I was grand. Today has probably been the easiest of the lot. I'd say I've had maybe two phsyical cravings, at most. Otherwise it's just been the thought of having one, none of the chest sucking at me like over the first two days.

Tonight is going to be the big test. I'm heading up to a friends place for a few beers. Then tomorrow there'll be the bus home while I'm tired and a little hungover. If I can manage those two cases without smoking, I can manage anything. What's handy about the beers tonight is I wouldn't have been able to afford the beers if I hadn't kicked the fags.

The other thing that's standing to me is Allen Carrs' book. I haven't read it in years, the last time I read it was about eight years ago and I managed three hours of giving up. But it's all that positive thinking that makes sense to me that I'm starting to remember. I'm not a smoker who is giving up, I am an ex-smoker. I don't have to pass some test to be considered an ex-smoker, I became one the second I decided to not have a cigarette. I don't need one, I may want one, but that's only a fleeting momentary desire, not what I have decided to do.

So yeah. It's going well.

Best of luck to anyone else who's now an ex-smoker. And whatsherface, I'm not too sure if I'd even take one day at a time like you. It's not about days or weeks or months or years for me, it's about not having that one cigarette that sneaks up on me. And if I can manage that, they days, weeks, months and years will come easily. :)

• Advertisement

Buceph how did you get on last night and with the hangover this morning?

Hope you got through it ok :)

Day four feeling good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Hey whatsherface! I'm glad things are going well for you. I think we're both doing great.

Last night was a breeze. I didn't miss them at all. I drank a bit more than I normally would, but hey I was celebrating. My friends didn't even notice at first, but seemed happy enough for me. There were a few jokes about my nerves, but that was to be expected. Getting the bus home this morning was even better. I stepped outside the house to start walking to the bus stop and I had a little twinge, thinking about how I'd normally be lighting one up at that point. But it didn't bother me at all. I just walked on, and almost completely forgot about it. Didn't think about a fag the rest of the walk, or at the bus stop, or when I got off the bus. It wasn't until I was getting a lift home from where the bus dropped me and my father asked me had I smoked last night that I had any thoughts on it.

I think I've kicked them at this point. I'm over the physical cravings, so now it's just a matter of staying resolute. We'll see how things go for the next few weeks, but I don't see there being a problem until I start my masters. Once I'm back with pressure from University I'll probably have to reignite my determination, but for the moment it's going great.

To anyone who is looking to kick them, go for it. The hardest part for me was deciding I was going to give them up. Not smoking is the easy part, the cravings are gone in minutes, once you decide it's the right time to kick them, you can do it. I've gone from 25/30 a day to none, and I'm fukcing delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Ive been trawling here for a while, taking in all your hints and tips. Im on day 6. After day 3 i thought this is easy but weird feelings (cravings) keep attacking me every few hours. I deff noticed it got slightly easier after day 3 thou.
    Ive gone mad drinking tea and walking everywhere but i just cant sleep. Ive tried reading but im still awake hours after ive finished, Has anyone had sleep problems and how long did it last or how did you combat it

Bruceph well done thats brilliant :)
    I plan to stay off the drink for a couple of weeks so I am not
    tempted!

oppiuy I am not sleeping either Its a side effect and should calm down soon ( I am on the patches so having nightmares too :( )
    Still this won't last long and a few sleepless nights are much better for you then puffing your life away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

All you guys are doing really well!!!
    Buceph you are so focused, its fantastic.

Like you I had to take one moment at a time. I couldn't think long term or forever. Suddenly the days and the weeks (and now the months) started adding up, I couldn't believe at each stage that I'd made it that far. Now, the thoughts of forever don't stress me at all anymore.

I'm off them almost 8 months now. (1st January)

Keep it up all you non-smokers. Its like a different life not being tied down by nicotine addiction anymore!

• Advertisement
Advertisement