Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

letting question

Options
  • 17-08-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry folks if this seems obvious but i really have no clue,
    In the next 2 monhts i will be looking to rent an apartment for a year in Dublin with the girlfriend, What kind of info will the letting company be looking for from me,

thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

A bank reference - A short note from your bank to say you've been a member since X date and you're able to afford the rent in their opinion. This doesn't have to include any statements or what's in your accounts.

Former landlord reference - You've been a good tenant, paid rent and bills on time, no hassles.

Employers reference - They'd recomment you to be a good tenant and know you x years.

If you don't have all 3 I'm sure it's workable around, they don't always ask for all 3 either.

And further down the line:
    PPSN
    Bank draft for the amount of the deposit and first months rent.
    Your signature in a few places

Pretty much it, good luck with the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I think most banks are reluctant to write references now. Likewise employers. My employer (large U.S. Company doesn't do character references.

A bank statement in absence of the reference (black out anything you don't want looked at) may be asked for. Copies of ID are sometimes asked for (Sherry Fitzgerald ask for this, or did at least).

But many won't look for anything other than a landlord reference and security deposit. It's a while since I last looked to rent somewhere, but I'd imagine the rental downturn could have led some LLs/agents to adopt a more flexible approach to what they ask tenants to provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bugler wrote: »
    I think most banks are reluctant to write references now. Likewise employers. My employer (large U.S. Company doesn't do character references.

QUOTE]

I think MOST employers will. your experience is void. Large US companies tend to be faceless when it comes to personal validation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I looked for these references just over a year ago and was told 'banks don't do them anymore' and both myself and my boyfriend got references from 2 seperate banks no problem at all. If you're told no I'd go back the next day to a different member of staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cerealjoe

Hi yourdeadwright. I think they want you to be near in their company. That's my opinion. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

listermint wrote: »

QUOTE]

I think MOST employers will. your experience is void. Large US companies tend to be faceless when it comes to personal validation.

both myself and my flat mate required work references recently and the
    only thing we recieved was the standard Mr Blogs has worked here for
    x years. etc...
    When the agent rang both IRISH companies to get char references
    she was told to PFO. thats its not company policy to give out
    char references on thier employess to complete strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Signing a lease this week, have paid deposit already.

Private landlord, she asked for PPS, copy of ID and one reference, I got one from my employer and my boyfriend is doing the same.

As a side note, he works for a large multinational company, head office in the US, and he has no problem getting reference from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Jesus. Do people have nothing better to go on about?

Some employers do, some don't. Making claims about people's character is becoming far less practised in the mainstream corporate world, though obviously in smaller business it's entirely up to whoever is in charge. A bald statement of fact: "bugler is employed by us as a latex salesman, and has been for the past 6 years", is not a reference. It does show you're employed, however.

Likewise banks, seemingly. I wouldn't bother going to the trouble of getting a bank reference. Mostly because they don't know me from Adam, except that I've an account with them years. What that is meant to prove I've no idea. My statement proves I have an account.

Quick, tell happymondays his/her experience is void too. It will give you that ego boost you so need.

Advertisement