Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Young Boys V Spurs

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

mike65 wrote: »
    Could be tricky for them as Wemberly is now partial artificial using Desso fibre.

To be honest alot of pitches are Desso fibre now.
    White Hart Lane,Eastlands,Emirates Stadium,Anfield,Villa Park,Upton Park,Bernabeu .
    Its definitely the way forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

You don't think this thread behaves like a bunch of thirdgraders who overheard someone saying 'fvck'.

And why you think it's unsurprising? Another stereotype on offer that wasn't brought up yet? Or could it just be that I'm not thirteen and have more than three braincells?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lighten up a bit. Its stupid, of course it is. The Irish for all their faults do have a sense of fun.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Boskowski wrote: »
    You don't think this thread behaves like a bunch of thirdgraders who overheard someone saying 'fvck'.

And why you think it's unsurprising? Another stereotype on offer that wasn't brought up yet? Or could it just be that I'm not thirteen and have more than three braincells?

Paranoid and mirthless.:pac:

303180-good_tin_foil_hat.jpg

Look I don't care really. All I'm saying is wtf?

Look I don't care really. All I'm saying is wtf?

Stop p*ssing and moaning about it then if you don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

flahavaj wrote: »
    He is right, its like a bunch of 10-12 year olds.

eagle eye wrote: »
    He is right, its like a bunch of 10-12 year olds.

LOL I knew you'd join in. One more now and we have the triumverate.:pac:

Jeez relax boy you seem to take it very personal. Did I piss into your breakfast?

Jeez relax boy you seem to take it very personal. Did I piss into your breakfast?

Not in the slightest bah, I've had a right larf reading this thread.

• Advertisement

Look somebody comes out with 'Arry wants of stuff young boys' and thats funny and maybe one or two more of them.

But I read the thread earlier on and it was still going on, just like a bunch of 10 year olds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Who are you waiting for? (feel free to PM me!)

mike65 wrote: »
    Who are you waiting for? (feel free to PM me!)

Answers on the back of a postcard.

Winner gets a tin foil helmet, a bowl of p*ss covered cornflakes and a season ticket to the Wankdorf Stadium.:pac:

I did actually laugh at that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

I have to laugh at the idiots on Sky Sports trying to blame the pitch for Spurs bad performance.
    Typical nonsense from them,any time an English team plays poorly on an artificial pitch they wheel out that ridiculous excuse.
    Spurs have an English manager of course the pitch was to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Time to get dawson out of FF team i think. Bring in Evans for same price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

After the first 30 mins i was thinking i wouldnt be able to log on to the xbox or facebook for the amount of abuse i was going to get as a spurs fan thankfully they got 2 back.

Funny before the game i was thinking 1-0 maybe 2-0 to spurs and by the end i was thankful we only lost by 1.

Terrible display by all 11 for the first 30 mins, especially our left back who is constantly making foolish mistakes . Please buy a left back Arry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Young Boys Bern is about as 'funny' as Wexford Youths btw. What's the fkn deal eh. I guess the average age on this thread must be about thirteen. Haha 'Young Boys' snigger snigger. Bloody hell...

The thing I find funny about it is that its a Swiss team named Young Boys. If it was an English club it wouldn't be as funny (I'd still find it a bit funny) but its odd that a team opted to name their club in a foreign language and decided that was the name they should use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Spurs really got let off the hook, a terrible performance from the players that were never really at the races.
    I would have a bit of a gripe with Harry if I was a Spurs fan, why change a team that played so well on Saturday, I could live with the King decision considering his history but it was arguably the biggest night for Spurs in years and you have to play your strongest team, especially coming off such a good performance.
    Players obviously have to take majority of blame, probably not giving enough respect to Young Boys either, they played very well for the most part.
    Classic European football all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Lotta disrespect here for Spurs..

I bet if the spurs fans went into city, united, chelsea, liverpool and whoever the fúck elses threads and all wished them to lose, and said it would be hilarious, they would be crying over it.

Bit OTT IMO.

Hope spurs take the second leg myself, would love to see them do well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Do Spurs fans actually want this shambles of a team to progress to the later stages? Can you imagine them against Barca. It would be a cricket score.

Mister men wrote: »
    Spurs have an English manager of course the pitch was to blame.
    Well the pitch was the reason certain players were left out so it did have an affect on things.

jank wrote: »
    Do Spurs fans actually want this shambles of a team to progress to the later stages? Can you imagine them against Barca. It would be a cricket score.

Seriously :rolleyes:

I would be fairly confident Spurs would give a good account of themselves if they make it through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Seriously :rolleyes:

I would be fairly confident Spurs would give a good account of themselves if they make it through.

Confident how? IF they go through? Yeap very confident alright.

If they cant get past this swiss team then what makes you think they can give a good account of themselves against the big boys.

Delusions of grander should be the clubs motto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It will be certainly be hard when they meet the young boys again. Hopefully they can come from behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

If they cant get past this swiss team then what makes you think they can give a good account of themselves against the big boys.

Ah would you give them a break, its their first time getting to any stage of the champions league since sometime in the 1960's
    The came back from 3 down to been in with a great chance in the second leg, obviously they will be and should be confident of coming through the tie, their only problem last night was awful defending so with King and one or two more to return they should be more comfortable at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Harry coming out with the excuses about the astro pitch today, after saying it was grand yesterday. Thats really bad in my opinion. He's also saying these pitches should be banned from tournaments such as the champions league, but thats not an option for alot of colder countries.

One of our local sides is putting down their fullsize astro pitch at the moment, which will be UEFA certified, using the latest astro surface technology. I think its a great idea, as the club has a ridiculous amount of teams and having them all play on one or two pitches just makes sihte of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Harry coming out with the excuses about the astro pitch today, after saying it was grand yesterday. Thats really bad in my opinion. He's also saying these pitches should be banned from tournaments such as the champions league, but thats not an option for alot of colder countries.

One of our local sides is putting down their fullsize astro pitch at the moment, which will be UEFA certified, using the latest astro surface technology. I think its a great idea, as the club has a ridiculous amount of teams and having them all play on one or two pitches just makes sihte of them.

He's not blaming the pitch on the perfomrnace nor did any of the players.

He blamed the pitch on his team selection, huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

ntlbell wrote: »

"I don't agree with Astroturf and I don't think Astroturf should be used in a competition like this."

If he was going to make that comment, he should have made it yesterday. Otherwise, it sounds like an excuse. In my opinion.

Had the players not trained before he made a statement on the pitch yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

"I don't agree with Astroturf and I don't think Astroturf should be used in a competition like this."

If he was going to make that comment, he should have made it yesterday. Otherwise, it sounds like an excuse. In my opinion.

I don't think it should be used eiithier, that has nothing to do with making excuses.

It gives the home team a huge advantage, I would guess that harry didn't expect it to be that big of a deal but it cleary was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Huddlestone and Lennon had trouble with the pitch when they trained on it and it's being blamed for modrics injury keane also has trouble with his knees

Way too much is made of this whole Astroturf thing.

It's not like 20 years ago where astroturf pitches were made from green wirebrushes that slowly turned into concrete.

Astroturf pitches are very similar to the real thing these days where you can tackle without having your skin taken off. Grass pitches can be very different depending on cut, quality, time of the year, watered or not etc. Teams tinker with their pitches all the time to give themselves any edge, e.g. we're great passers so let's make it a carpet or we want to make the game fast so let's water the pitch etc. Having an astroturf is no different to any of this stuff. Deal with it. Actually, surface-wise astroturfs are in a way more consistent even than grass pitches.

To be dragging the whole astroturf thing out every time is bordering on the ridiculous IMHO. Spurs weren't very good last night full stop. And that's got nothing to do with the pitch.

But the injury thing is a real concern. Its the reason why players did not start last night.

How can you say its not a huge factor if you can't pick your best team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Just read there that the final of the champions League must be played on a grass pitch and not astroturf anyone know why that is?

Yea, I said if, why say otherwise since they are a goal down :rolleyes:

I believe they would give a good account of themselves since they gave a good account of themselves against the top teams in the prem last season and this season so far. They have top quality players in their squad and some world class players one may argue, they have a decent manager and a good team spirit and when they play well, they play good fluent soccer.

What delusions of grander ? Not many teams match up to the stature of the Barcas and Reals in the "Champions League"

As for the Astroturf debate, it does make a difference playing on it, there is no question there but not a big enough difference to justify that performance. I am sure Spurs had plenty of practice on Astroturf during their tour of the US also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

ntlbell wrote: »

Have a read of this to see if Harry is making excuses or not:
    Said Harry Redknapp before last night's 3-2 defeat to Young Boys: "It (the pitch) looks fine, good surface, very good. Much better than QPR's used to be many years ago, that's for sure."

Said Harry Redknapp after last night's 3-2 defeat to Young Boys: "It's not an excuse but I played on Astroturf myself and hated every minute of it. We've had it at QPR; we don't have it anymore in England. I don't agree with Astroturf and I don't think Astroturf should be used in a competition like this."

Now, many will point out (and indeed many already have) that Redknapp clearly states, "It's not an excuse". However, given what followed, surely this is more or less the same as someone saying: "I'm not racist right, but..."

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Have a read of this to see if Harry is making excuses or not:

It's not an excuse, it's simply an opinion.

He never stated that the pitch was the reason they lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    It's not an excuse, it's simply an opinion.

He never stated that the pitch was the reason they lost.

Of course it was an excuse. If spurs won 3-0 would he have mentioned it? All managers make excuses, usually just after the line "I'm not making excuses but..."

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Of course it was an excuse. If spurs won 3-0 would he have mentioned it? All managers make excuses, usually just after the line "I'm not making excuses but..."

Even if they had won 3-0, I'm sure he would have brought it up due to his players being injured because of it, and not being able to perform to the standard they should have.

Advertisement