Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant for Irish citizen returning form living abroad.

Options
  • 17-08-2010 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible for someone who is returning to Ireland after living abroad in the EU for the last 5 years to get a grant to go back to college. I am considering moving back to Ireland for this reason, so that I can retrain and get some qualifications, I have been unemployed where I am living now for the last 6 months and am in receipt of unemployment benefits in this country. I know I can transfer my social contributions back to Ireland and continue receiving the dole in Ireland but I am not sure if I would be entitled to a back to education or BETA grant.

Can anyone shed some light on the matter or advise me who I can contact.

Cheers,

Travnett

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

travnett wrote: »
    Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible for someone who is returning to Ireland after living abroad in the EU for the last 5 years to get a grant to go back to college. I am considering moving back to Ireland for this reason, so that I can retrain and get some qualifications, I have been unemployed where I am living now for the last 6 months and am in receipt of unemployment benefits in this country. I know I can transfer my social contributions back to Ireland and continue receiving the dole in Ireland but I am not sure if I would be entitled to a back to education or BETA grant.

Cheers,

Travnett

I dont think so something about having lived in Ireland for 3 of the last 5 years may impinge in relation to your application.

See studentfinance.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

travnett wrote: »
    Hi there,

Cheers,

Travnett

By my reading of the eligibilty criteria you might be entitled to free tuition fees

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/he_heg_scheme.pdf?language=EN

4.1 Residence
    4.1.1 The candidate shall have been ordinarily resident in the State for at least three out of the last five years immediately preceding the date on which a year of study on an approved course in an approved institution commences. If not so resident, the candidate shall have been temporarily resident outside of the State by reason of pursuing a course of study or postgraduate research at an approved institution outside of the State but within an EU Member State, and was resident in the State for at least 3 out of the 5 years immediately preceding the date on which they commenced such course of study or postgraduate research.

4.1.2 Candidates who are EU, EEA or Swiss nationals and who do not satisfy the residency requirement are eligible to apply for a means-tested fees only grant in respect of approved courses in the State, provided they have been ordinarily resident, for a purpose other than wholly or mainly to receive full-time education, in an EU Member State, the EEA or Switzerland for at least 3 of the 5 years immediately preceding the date on which a year of study on an approved course in an approved institution commences. Such candidates shall apply to the local authority in which the college they propose to attend is situated.

See www.studentfinance.ie

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Aye, there is no way you will get the maintenance grant unless 3 of the past 5 years have been spent at home. As above you could be entitled to free fee's depending on your past academic courses.

Advertisement