Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tent for Electric Picnic

Options
  • 17-08-2010 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hey folks, it is almost that wonderful time of year again - Electric Picnic!!! Woo! Anyways, it's about time I started to get my stuff organised for it, and unfortunately my tent did not make it back last year (woke up late and had to leg it to the bus with whatever I could gather). Anyways, I was wondering where I could get a quality large tent for cheap enough. The one I got last year was like E100.00 in Lidl and was enormous. Two rooms to sleep and and a big ass common area in the middle. Would love to get another the same but have not seen it advertised this year. So folks, any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

you left your 100 quid tent after you last year? burns...

i am in the same boat, i lent my tent to a friend last week and she said that it rained the last day she was using it and it fecking leaked so i also have to buy one unfortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Ah wasn't too sore over. Had mates staying in it for the weekend too so they contributed to it too when I had to leave it behind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Decent 3 mans in dunnes for 20 euro. And decent sleeping bag for 10.

Brilliant value. And they're fine. Especially for the amount of sleep you'll be doing anyway.

And if you do have to leave it behind again, you'll only be wasting 20 euro instead of 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Hmmm... Maybe. Previous years my friends have been unlucky with the Dunnes tents. I'll check out if they ones they have this year are made of sturdier stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Take my advise as someone who did medic for Oxegen: DO NOT BUY A CHEAP/DUNNES TENT

Spend the extra few quid and get something of better quality. If it rains and you're in a Dunnes tent, you'd be as well off sitting in a field with your sleeping bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Would you order it online? Amazon have some decent ones (make sure to check they're waterproof) and it'll get here in time if you order it in the next few days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sure they ALL leak if you touch the inside of the roof while it is raining :D Avoid touching the inside of the roof ANYWHERE at ALL costs and they don't leak !!!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Sure they ALL leak if you touch the inside of the roof while it is raining :D Avoid touching the inside of the roof ANYWHERE at ALL costs and they don't leak !!!

There's a big difference between a little water getting in if you hit off the roof and it being totally non-waterproof. There was a lad next to us at Oxegen last year with a Dunnes tent and all his stuff got soaked, he was totally miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pat.Kenny

I'm looking for a daycent tent for EP too on Amazon, anyone happen to know what a good ("fairly waterproof!") brand would be? Don't want to spend loads but equally don't want to drown in my sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Pat.Kenny wrote: »
    I'm looking for a daycent tent for EP too on Amazon, anyone happen to know what a good ("fairly waterproof!") brand would be? Don't want to spend loads but equally don't want to drown in my sleep!
    Double skin is what you want if rain is expected, like wearing 2 rubbers. To be sure to be sure

• Advertisement

I'm not sure about the brands, but get the name of the tent you like and google it, there should be reviews and you'll be able to figure out how waterproof it it. Also on Amazon it might say the waterproof-ness of the tent, I think it's 800mm for showers, 1200mm for normal rain and 2000mm for really bad conditions. Make sure it's fire retardant too, I've seen tents on fire at festivals and it's fairly nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

did ya try here http://www.argos.ie/static/Browse/ID73/14419414/c_1/1|category_root|Sports+and+leisure|14419152/c_2/2|cat_14419152|Camping|14419397/c_3/3|cat_14419397|Tents|14419414.htm

i bought one from there a few years back and went to wexford camping with 5 kids and it rained for 2 days solid and never leaked ;)

Thanks for the tips. Does anyone know if pop up tents are any better/worse than normal ones or are they all much of a muchness. There's so many tents to choose from I just can't decide at this point. I assume if they're not double skin they all just let condensation in if you touch them? If anyone has any recommendations on a good two man tent that would be great.

Putting the tent up is the easy part when you are fresh and wound up with excitement. Also pop up tents still need guy wires and the like to stop it flying away and are only single skinned. They are also a bit bulkier for carrying and look like a giant round girls handbag.

It's taking the tent down that is a mare of a job after you have been caning it for 3 days. So regardless of whether it's a pop or not there's effort involved in taking down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

We had a lovely pop up a couple of years ago and it had double skin, but only about a third of them have. We didn't need to guy or stake it as it wasn't windy and we had heavy bags to weigh it down. I have a
    'good' tent for proper camping - I never bring it to festivals as it is low and small (brill for wind and warmth) and is way more likely to get wrecked. I would go mid range pop up for a festie. 40 to 50 quid should get ya one if you hunt. Double skin if you can or buy a bottle of waterproofing an give it a
    boost coat. If you cycle or have loads of gear on your own, popups can be messy due to shape, so get a simple dome tent. Otherwise I recommend popups as they have less bits to lose. Easy to pack up but you HAVE to practice it before. There's a knack to them and takes 2 min once you get it, but first timers with hangovers often ditch them!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Millets in Tesco Terryland shopping centre usually have 'festival offers' this time of year - honestly can't remember the price (less than 80ish), but I got a decent two-skin 3 man tent in there that has served us well for two electric picnics :) Came with two suprisingly decent sleeping bags too I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭baldshin

lampsie wrote: »
    Millets in Tesco Terryland shopping centre usually have 'festival offers' this time of year - honestly can't remember the price (less than 80ish), but I got a decent two-skin 3 man tent in there that has served us well for two electric picnics :) Came with two suprisingly decent sleeping bags too I think

2 skin pop ups in at the moment reduced to 45 for a 2 man, 60 for a 3 man. Sleeping bags from 12 euro. Good quality tents if ye can be bothered bringing them home from ep!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Putting the tent up is the easy part when you are fresh and wound up with excitement. Also pop up tents still need guy wires and the like to stop it flying away and are only single skinned. They are also a bit bulkier for carrying and look like a giant round girls handbag.

It's taking the tent down that is a mare of a job after you have been caning it for 3 days. So regardless of whether it's a pop or not there's effort involved in taking down

Pop up tents can be great for festivals and unlike what head the wall said above, they do come as double skinned. I bought a 3 man pop up in Millets double skinned and a stat of 2200mm (it's good enough for the side of a mountain in winter).

Last year Millets had a sale about now and I was able to bring in my old tent for a discount on a new tent (your old tent gets sent off to oxfam for use in disaster areas).

Taking down the tent can be hard but just practice once or twice at home and everything will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

hyperbaby wrote: »
    you left your 100 quid tent after you last year? burns...

i am in the same boat, i lent my tent to a friend last week and she said that it rained the last day she was using it and it fecking leaked so i also have to buy one unfortunately...

nice friend you got there

• Advertisement

First one is decent, easy enough to put up too.

Second is single skinned, we have them in Millets for 37.50, if it rains- you're getting wet.

Third is a good tent, but small, very small.

Last one is single skinned too, wouldn't go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Hey Pat. Those tents on Amazon would be ok but a two man tent will be very cosy and if there are two of you. I'd go for a three man, just for a bit of comfort and storage. This site http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/ do good reviews and most are available on amazon.Just got this http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/tornado-3-person-tent/721319270.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f3263%2c4294958282%2fs%2fbestsellers%2c0%2fo%2f2&trail=2780-3260-3263-4294958282&prdToken=/p/prod4310046-sku6541068 myself from Littlewoods. €57 when you use the discount code,XV216. Good luck

baldshin wrote: »
    First one is decent, easy enough to put up too.

Second is single skinned, we have them in Millets for 37.50, if it rains- you're getting wet.

Third is a good tent, but small, very small.

Last one is single skinned too, wouldn't go there.

Thanks. I know they're not as good as double skinned options but with the first and third one, do you think they'd keep you relatively dry?

Hey Pat. Those tents on Amazon would be ok but a two man tent will be very cosy and if there are two of you. I'd go for a three man, just for a bit of comfort and storage. This site http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/ do good reviews and most are available on amazon.Just got this http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/tornado-3-person-tent/721319270.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f3263%2c4294958282%2fs%2fbestsellers%2c0%2fo%2f2&trail=2780-3260-3263-4294958282&prdToken=/p/prod4310046-sku6541068 myself from Littlewoods. €57 when you use the discount code,XV216. Good luck

Thanks for the heads up. I looked on littlewoods a bit but thought amazon might be slightly cheaper. It's hard to pick really, obviously I can't be expecting a miracle tent for under 40 quid but as long as it's relatively waterproof, doesn't leak everywhere and the condensation is manageable I'd be happy out!

Thanks. I know they're not as good as double skinned options but with the first and third one, do you think they'd keep you relatively dry?

They'll keep you bone dry if you put them up properly!

With a small single skinned it will be very difficult not to touch the sides if it rains in anyway at all

Just saw this on littlewoods they must be having a sale since I last looked, seems like good value for a double skin tent

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/apache-2-person-tent/705613480.prd?browseToken=%2fq%2fdouble+skin+tent&prdToken=/p/prod4591475-sku6985853

Advertisement