Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Gilbert - Whelan's 8/11/10

Options
  • 17-08-2010 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

according to his tour page: http://www.paulgilbert.com/2010EuropeTour.html

This is to support his new instrumental album "Fuzz Universe" which is out now (i didn't even know he was making one!) Here's the title track:

I saw him in the button factory in 2008 and he was excellent. Very annoyingly though this is on a Monday :mad: i still plan on going though. Its not on ticketmaster yet but the Belfast date is and costs £17 so i can't imagine it being much more than €22/23

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Nice one ... will check this out!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Tickets are now on sale for €26 for anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

This man has more talent, more musicality, in his little toe, than i have in my entire being.

*sulks*

wernstrom! wrote: »
    This man has more talent, more musicality, in his little toe, than i have in my entire being.

*sulks*

hehe, yeah, aswell as being technically brilliant, his music is really catchy and generally awesome as opposed to the likes of joe stump and michael angelo batio who are great technically but their music just sucks imo. Some of his non-instrumental solo stuff is very cheesy but can't help but love it at the same time :D
    He also seems to be a pretty cool and down to earth guy. I miss his trashy website that he obviously made himself with the hilariously pointless links :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

If one song could sum up my love for Pablo Gilberto... This would be it:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Holy crap Paul Gilbert was absolutely brilliant.

Metallica made me want to take up the guitar and Paul Gilbert made me want to never play it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

^^^^^^
    Agreed!!

I wasn't overly familiar with his material, but the man is some player! Great show, good variety in the set, a few interesting covers and a very plausible Johnny Cash impression! All the ingredients for a great gig, really :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Brilliant, brilliant gig.. He didnt play a lot of my favourite songs But it was still an awesome night and so much fuc*ing fun

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Just as a general question, can I ask why people tend to hate Monday gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

cos your either in work/college and the possibilty of going out to get pissed afterwards is significantly reduced....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

DrumSteve wrote: »
    cos your either in work/college and the possibilty of going out to get pissed afterwards is significantly reduced....

Granted, but I never drink on gig nights, I'm there for the music and the quality of the performance and drinking hugely diminishes that I'm afraid. Even afterwards I'm on too much of a high from a good performance to even think about drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Granted, but I never drink on gig nights, I'm there for the music and the quality of the performance and drinking hugely diminishes that I'm afraid. Even afterwards I'm on too much of a high from a good performance to even think about drinking.

Different strokes for different folks then.

Completely forgot about this. I generally dislike solo virtuoso guitarists and find that 95% of their fans are guitarists themselves, but I do find Gilbert to be highly entertaining.

Did he play any Racer X?

Different strokes for different folks then.

Completely forgot about this. I generally dislike solo virtuoso guitarists and find that 95% of their fans are guitarists themselves, but I do find Gilbert to be highly entertaining.

Did he play any Racer X?

He played technical difficulties and scarified. I think that was it. Him and the other guitarist did a lot of singing aswell though, it wasn't all instrumental stuff. There were quite a few covers in there. here's the setlist from a few nights previously, which is more or less the same: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-gilbert/2010/islington-academy-london-england-1bd561d4.html

Looks like i'm in the 5% bracket so! I wouldn't know the first thing about playing guitar. I really enjoy his instrumental stuff (more so than his non-instrumental solo material) and guitar virtuosos in general. Some of them are all technical ability and not much else (i'm looking at you Michael Angelo Batio and Joe Stump) but the likes of gilbert/satriani/friedman make genuinely enjoyable music imo.

Great gig overall though, better than last time imo. only dissapointment for me was no down to mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Im in the 95% bracket and wasn't sure what to expect.

I had listened to a bit of his stuff before hand and I only really went to see him cause I knew he is one of the worlds best guitarists.

I was half expecting it to be very repetitive and him showing off constantly but it wasn't at all.

He really looked like he was having fun and it wasn't all about lightning fast solos.. the music was really good.

I brought my dad along who doesn't play guitar and wouldn't really be into rock/metal a whole lot and he thought it was an absolutely brilliant night.

As a guitarist the guy is an absolute legend. I think I heard about 2 bum notes out of about 20 million :D

He really makes everyone else look very amateur in comparison.

Would definitely go to see him again.

The only disappointment for me was that I couldn't actually see his hands on the guitar for most of the gig cause that tall guy that follows me around to gigs and stands in front of me showed up again. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jem_

bigbadcon wrote: »

Would definitely go to see him again.

The only disappointment for me was that I couldn't actually see his hands on the guitar for most of the gig cause that tall guy that follows me around to gigs and stands in front of me showed up again. ;)

Jealous

bigbadcon wrote: »

Same here! but i'm pretty tall, and can usually see everything at gigs because of my height but I think it was a case of the stage being a lot lower than most other venues. Took a couple a videos (with my Bargain Alerts acquired keyfob camera ;)), check em out (apologies for shakiness, you can't see what your recording until you plug it into the computer!) :

Don't Fear the Reaper

Light My Fire

Technical Difficulties

Batter Up

Advertisement