Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC vs Galaxy s

• 17-08-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

the HTC Desire to be precise ( or even if the legend is a good phone)

To my untrained eyes they seem the same bar the looks.

i will be into every gadget and app availible for them so which one your your opinions will be the best one?

( i kno they come with the amoled screen , this however will ot really bother me if its the only thing making the galaxy s more appealling)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

HTC what? Which model?
    Martron wrote: »
    To my untrained eyes they seem the same bar the looks.

i will be into every gadget and app availible for them so which one your your opinions will b the best one?

( i kno they come with the amoled screen , this however will ot really bother me if its the only thing making the galaxy s more appealling)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The Desire is EOL, you'll be hard pressed to buy a new one anywhere any more. There is a Desire HD due in October to replace it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

elderlemon wrote: »
    HTC what? Which model?
    fixed....... desire
    blastman wrote: »
    The Desire is EOL, you'll be hard pressed to buy a new one anywhere any more. There is a Desire HD due in October to replace it.

I had to google EOL. I thought it was relativily new. so either get the galaxy s or wait til october for the hd desire. hmmmmm

so my question is now. if i cant wait is the galaxy s a good phone compared to the HD desire

Having got a HTC Desire and used a Galaxy S in work its a tough decision. They are both excellent devices. My only major grip with the galaxy s is it looks too much like an iPhone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

agree galaxy looks like a cheap version of the iPhone...something like cheap knock off iPhone replicas from China :)

though i dont like the way the desire looks either...HTC phones lacks chrome styling to make fancier looks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Now if i could have the Desire in the Hero shell(love the single piece of aluminium design) it would be an easy choice but i think ill go with the Samsung ,but its a hard choice,but at the end of the day Your getting Android :D

ugh not a fan of that thing at the bottom of the phone on the hero/legend...having the camera lens sticking out on my hd2 is annoying as it is when you put it down on the table...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I have both phones and truth be told while the Galaxy S is pretty good it just doesn't match the Desire in terms of quality. For example, the quality of the materials used on the Galaxy S feels ultra cheap compared to the Desire. What takes the biscuit though is the software. The Galaxy S is dire compared to the Desire when it comes to software. The Galaxy S lags often and sometimes can hang on a black screen for up to thirty seconds (Reminds me of my venerable Nokia N95). There is next to no developer support and to be quite honest it's benefits simply don't make it a much better choice than the Desire.

But tbh you're better off waiting until September/October which will be when the Desire HD is launching.

i think i seen some where on XDA Portal homepage a fix for that lag...have a browse :)

i think i seen some where on XDA Portal homepage a fix for that lag...have a browse :)
    Tried them. Hardly any difference and one of them managed to just disable the touch screen forcing me to reflash the phone again.

• Advertisement

so.......

the desire hd will be different form the desire how?

http://gadgetwidgets.com/htc-desire-hd-specs-and-features-leaked-10035/
    read the sheet ;) btw thats not the right pic on the web...anyway these specs are leaked and might be still not accurate...it should be revealed soon

got dam it..... i want it now.

hhhmmmmm right so basically its the 4g and the hd camera.

not too interested in the ol camera part i suppose.

so basically in your opinions if i get the desire now. will i be kickin myself when the hd comes out ( leaving the camera aside)

got dam it..... i want it now.

hhhmmmmm right so basically its the 4g and the hd camera.

not too interested in the ol camera part i suppose.

so basically in your opinions if i get the desire now. will i be kickin myself when the hd comes out ( leaving the camera aside)
    No 4G phone network exists in Ireland (And won't for some time)

ah sorts that so.

so basically just the hd camera. i think i have made up my about the desire. unless anyone has a bad reason not to get it.

i know someone mentioned it was EOL but whats coming out in the next while ( other than the hd to) to compare to it.

ah sorts that so.

so basically just the hd camera. i think i have made up my about the desire. unless anyone has a bad reason not to get it.

i know someone mentioned it was EOL but whats coming out in the next while ( other than the hd to) to compare to it.
    Nothing of note. Next year (Perhaps very late this year) is when the big developments are coming in with Android 3.0 but that's just rumour at the moment.

ah grand so.

ah sorts that so.

The Desire is not totally end of life it is being released in Canada and the US. Perhaps the AMOLED screen version is end of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

I have both phones and truth be told while the Galaxy S is pretty good it just doesn't match the Desire in terms of quality. For example, the quality of the materials used on the Galaxy S feels ultra cheap compared to the Desire. What takes the biscuit though is the software. The Galaxy S is dire compared to the Desire when it comes to software. The Galaxy S lags often and sometimes can hang on a black screen for up to thirty seconds (Reminds me of my venerable Nokia N95). There is next to no developer support and to be quite honest it's benefits simply don't make it a much better choice than the Desire.

But tbh you're better off waiting until September/October which will be when the Desire HD is launching.

There is nothing wrong with the build quality of the galaxy s. It is much lighter than all the competition and feels sturdy in the hand.
    The only people who have an issue seem to be people who are upset that the desire now has legit competion.
    The lag is well documented to be fixed easily, I have no doubt that when froyo is officially released next month that it will have an official fix.
    You really need to stop stating fanboy opinions As fact on this thread and all the other threads you are dissing the galaxy s on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

The GPS however is a problem, Samsung never seem to get that bit right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

ronoc wrote: »
    The Desire is not totally end of life it is being released in Canada and the US. Perhaps the AMOLED screen version is end of life.

Yeah they're no longer able to source AMOLED screens. There's supposed to be new Desires coming into stock with Sony Super LCD screens.

JustinOval wrote: »

Thats still true to a small extent. Over on xda developers it appears that the latest leaked roms fix the gps issues.
    I'd imagine once the leaked roms become official all will be fixed.
    Till then playing with the leaked roms is the unofficial fix.
    Potential buyers need to remember that the galaxy is very new. Granted they should have held off releasing the phone till everything was perfect, but I guess they wanted to steal some thunder from the iphone4 release.
    Samsung unoffial roms have been fast and frequent which is a good indication that any issues will be resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

JustinOval wrote: »

i remember the i780 (which is still lying in a cupboard) was appalling in terms of gps. i mean, you needed a third party software, and even then, it still had issues.

i dont think samsung know what gps really is. i mean, it seems to be they are using everything to triangulate your position except an actual satellite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

I got the Galaxy S on 3 a coupe of weeks ago and from my use, it has no lag what so ever. Amazing phone, will blow people away.

Ony thing is the GPS but I believe that wil be sorted shortly.

Spipov wrote: »
    i remember the i780 (which is still lying in a cupboard) was appalling in terms of gps. i mean, you needed a third party software, and even then, it still had issues.

i dont think samsung know what gps really is. i mean, it seems to be they are using everything to triangulate your position except an actual satellite.

I had an S8300 (Tocco ultra) and the firmware it came with simply had the GPS options removed, they just couldn't be arsed sorting the problems.

patch11 wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with the build quality of the galaxy s. It is much lighter than all the competition and feels sturdy in the hand.
    The only people who have an issue seem to be people who are upset that the desire now has legit competion.
    The lag is well documented to be fixed easily, I have no doubt that when froyo is officially released next month that it will have an official fix.
    You really need to stop stating fanboy opinions As fact on this thread and all the other threads you are dissing the galaxy s on.

ah now sorry...samsung cant compared to the seam build quality of HTC Phones...cant argue with how its comfy in the hand after a long use caue i only messed around with it for a while.

and sorry but the lag has been reported by many users on xda and it isnt a fanboy atack...if you look closely in the android section Snapdragon vs hummingbird you will see the benchamark diff between HTC phones and Samsungs

ah now sorry...samsung cant compared to the seam build quality of HTC Phones...cant argue with how its comfy in the hand after a long use caue i only messed around with it for a while.

and sorry but the lag has been reported by many users on xda and it isnt a fanboy atack...if you look closely in the android section Snapdragon vs hummingbird you will see the benchamark diff between HTC phones and Samsungs

The lag has absolutely nothing to do with processor power, its down to bad firmware implimentation. Many fixes are out there.
    As for the benchmarks, they are number chrunching which have little use in the real world.
    There are arguments which say both phones are faster, but I doubt anybody will use either cpu to its full potential.
    Now the gpu is another matter....;)

lol and u dont need cpu power to support gpu?

Fanboy? Don't think so. Before you forget, I own both of the phones i'm talking about. I believe I'd be able to have a much more informed opinion on both phones. The lag is quite a big issue actually, i've tried all three fixes and none seem to completely remove the lag and make it even nearly as smooth as the Desire. The Desire works perfectly out of the box with absolutely no niggling problems as does the Galaxy S. You'd have to be talking to someone with sensory nerve damage to try and argue that the Samsung's build quality and materials is as good as HTC. The HTC feels much sturdier (Take the back cover for example, the Galaxy S feels like a cheap toy)

The Galaxy S is a great phone but the quality of the final product leaves a lot to be desired.
    The lag has absolutely nothing to do with processor power, its down to bad firmware implimentation. Many fixes are out there.
    As for the benchmarks, they are number chrunching which have little use in the real world.
    There are arguments which say both phones are faster, but I doubt anybody will use either cpu to its full potential.
    Now the gpu is another matter....;)
    Bad firmware implementation or poorer CPU performance. Fact in hand is that the Galaxy S has serious lag issues compared to the Desire out of the box. Even with the fixes (I've tried them all) it still lags doing the simplest of tasks like launching the dialer or even switching the screen back on.

In case you didn't know, number crunching in essence lets you gauge the performance of CPU heavy applications like emulators.

• Advertisement

What's the battery life like on the Galaxy? Is it better than the Desire as claimed?

Stark wrote: »
    What's the battery life like on the Galaxy? Is it better than the Desire as claimed?

Hardly any difference between the both from what I see.

The only reason I bothered to post now and in the past is when people state incorrect opinions as fact. I dont think that is fair to those that come on here research phones before they buy.
    If you researched it properly you'd have fixed the lag like everybody else on xda forums has done.
    The sgs using a lighter yet durable back cover, to me, is progress and a good thing.
    The desire might be built like a tank, so what? I much prefer the design of the sgs, each to their own.

I dont think that is fair to those that come on here research phones before they buy.

its very fair! i looked at plenty of videos of my hd2 before buying as well as reading articles and i did get a decent phone which even after a year from its debut is still at the top of the chain...

where as last time when i bought the N97 i didn't read enough what a crappy phone it was!!!

if some one actually bothers to spend time to research the phone means they wanna spend every penny wisely!

means that they wanna know the GOOD and the BAD facts on either phone...

you cant deny Desire is the most user preferred phone...nobody said galaxy is bad either...and by far its not the worst either but most would agree and choose the desire (which is currently not even available lol)

Its only fair if the comments being made are true.
    In this case the bad points are based on opinions and misinformation. Hardly fair imho.

but they are true...anyway were spectators...reviews made is upon our standards and should not be followed...

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENTS:

so if your thinking to buy the galaxy or a htc phone dont listen to us that actually own either a samsung or htc or both...

go look at others reviews who use them for 1 week not for months to get a real good review

youtube is full of em...phone arena is a brilliant phone reviewer...just type that in after your phone model you wish to research

heres the Samsung Galaxy S review

heres the HTC Desire review

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

The best thimg you can do is go into eaither a Meteor or 3 store where there are live demoes of both phones and had a play around with them for yourself. You are always going to get people on here who will slate one phone over another just because they dont like a particualr manufacturer, not based on having actually used the handsets.

Have a play around and decide for yourself which suits you best. I have a Galaxy s , GPS works fine( Need to tick two options in settings which solves the issue) and Handset doesnt lag unless a dodge android app is installed and this will happen on any android..... all you need to do is delete it. HTC make good phones as does Samsung so it really comes down to personal choice and needs.

The best thimg you can do is go into eaither a Meteor or 3 store where there are live demoes of both phones....

Really? Not around here they don't. :D

every one seems to forget that partymygaf actually has desire and galaxy s but no one pays attention to his argument

The only reason I bothered to post now and in the past is when people state incorrect opinions as fact. I dont think that is fair to those that come on here research phones before they buy.
    I own both phones. No offence, but i'd say my opinion is worth quite a bit more than most people who base it purely on reviews which seem to favour the newest thing.
    If you researched it properly you'd have fixed the lag like everybody else on xda forums has done.
    Researched it properly? The first thing I did when I got the phone was root it and install those lag fixes. They improve it somewhat but the problem is still very much there. I've almost 600 posts on XDA and without sounding arrogant, i'd like to think I know my way around Android by this stage.
    The sgs using a lighter yet durable back cover, to me, is progress and a good thing.
    Lighter certainly but durable certainly not. The Desire's back cover is ridged for strength and the difference in quality between both plastics is quite large. The Desire has a nice textured soft matte touch while the Galaxy S has a cheap feeling glossy plastic case. That's not my opinion, the fact is that the Desire is made using higher quality case materials than the Galaxy S.
    The desire might be built like a tank, so what? I much prefer the design of the sgs, each to their own.
    The Galaxy S looks nice but then again so does the Desire. The Desire is hardly built like a tank, it's pretty thin compared to phones that would actually be considered tank like (Nokia N95 anyone :p)
    Its only fair if the comments being made are true.
    In this case the bad points are based on opinions and misinformation. Hardly fair imho.
    What comments aren't true? Just because you disagree with something doesn't make it false. I highly doubt having both phones in your hands makes you somehow less informed than someone basing everything on hearsay and reviews.
    every one seems to forget that partymygaf actually has desire and galaxy s but no one pays attention to his argument
    Someone with a bit of Sense :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I think I was one of the first on here to get a galaxy S. Have it a couple of months now. It's a great device but there are definitely lag/stability issues. I upgraded the firmware and it sorted quite a bit but the lag still creeps in after a while. The biggest issue I've had with it was missing some calls last week because I was unable to answer the phone due to very poor responsiveness and lag on the screen, which is bloody ridiculous.

I've also had the entire (x windows ?) system crash and restart. It would have to rescan the sd card and reconnect to o2 again. Upgrading the firmware did reduce the occurrence of this but it hasn't gone away completely.

• Advertisement

Someone with a bit of Sense :pac:

Yeah, I was clearly way off the mark with my 'fanboy' remarks :D

The desire being built like a tank is a reference to it being very well built, not its size, obviously.
    Your remarks about the sgs build quality being 'dire' in comparison is where you were grossly exaggerating and well, making untrue comments.
    Insinuating that the lag is a reason not to buy the phone, and caused by an inferior processor is again untrue and misleading.

With your expansive knowledge of android you must know that the lag will be a short term issue.
    A simple reboot resolves the lag when experienced, for me. One of the fixes is a better short term solution till either the many devs on xda, or samsung come out with a permanent solution.

I've had the sgs for months. Coming from the iphone i intended buying a desire but didnt really like the industrial (IMO) design.
    The sgs is a great phone. My mates assure me the desire is too.

So, back on topic, I prefer the sgs. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I was messing with my old Jet recently and the difference between capacative and resistence touchscreen is loads, much snappier OS Android is too. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Need to get my demo hands on one of these galaxys, heard so much about them but havent had a chance to demo yet. looks nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

listermint wrote: »
    Need to get my demo hands on one of these galaxys, heard so much about them but havent had a chance to demo yet. looks nice.

I got handed a half production model( One with all in the hardware but just a video demo on it). The first thing i noticed was how incredibly light it is, some people would find this a positive but personally i need some weight so i can feel it in my pocket(if that makes sense:rolleyes:)

But when i turned on the screen i was blown away, it's easily the most vivid and best screen I've seen.

Take the opinions of PAMG and others who have decent experience of BOTH phones.

With your expansive knowledge of android you must know that the lag will be a short term issue.
    A simple reboot resolves the lag when experienced, for me. One of the fixes is a better short term solution till either the many devs on xda, or samsung come out with a permanent solution.

Fanboy comment if there ever was one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

Its just hilarious reading all these posts with the fanboys on both sides talking up their phones and putting down the other.

The reality is both these phones are spectacularly good and you would be unlikely to find either one lacking.

Granted the Samsung Galaxy S has lag and GPS issues but these will probably/hopefully be fixed in time. The phone is only out since June.

The HTC Desire is very polished, and why wouldn't it be with it's association with the Nexus One, this particular HTC architecture is likely to be the most tested android phone ever with its association with google.

I myself have a Galaxy S, (I have yet to see any lag issues) and I am more than happy with it.

Your remarks about the sgs build quality being 'dire' in comparison is where you were grossly exaggerating and well, making untrue comments.
    Compared to most phones it's excellent but relative to the Desire it's nowhere near as good. Other phones in it's price bracket feel much better in the hand.
    Insinuating that the lag is a reason not to buy the phone, and caused by an inferior processor is again untrue and misleading.
    The lag is quite a good reason not to buy the phone. It should be fixable but even at that launching a phone with firmware that laggy doesn't bode well. The processor in it's current state does seem to be inferior to the Snapdragon (Although it shouldn't be as they're based on the same architecture)

XDA are working on it but that isn't good enough really. Samsung haven't even acknowledged that the phone has issues with lag. They took no issue with acknowledging the GPS problem so i've doubts that the 2.2 will fully address the lag.
    The lag occurs so often that you'd need to reboot the phone a good few times a day. A high end phone shouldn't have issues like that.
    I've had the sgs for months. Coming from the iphone i intended buying a desire but didnt really like the industrial (IMO) design.
    Horses for courses ;)

Advertisement