Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photoshop transparency question

Options
  • 17-08-2010 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi there, new to photoshop, using it to incorporate some images into an animation. Im working with swift 3D, and want to use my image created in photoshop (a simple grid with greyish background) as a texture for a 3d object in swift3d. The problem is every time I import it, the background is transparent? The grid is visible but the grey area is not. In windows image viewer etc the grey is present, but not in swift3d. Are my settings in photoshop incorrect somehow? I tried creating test images and the problem did not exist, only on my grid image despite my messing around with it.

I created the grid using this tutorial.

Any help would be great!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

What format are you saving in?
    You can only use transparency when saving in gif and png formats iirc.
    There should be a tickbox in the save dialog.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

Saving in bmp. Its very confusing as others bitmaps dont have the same problem. Could it be to do with how I created my document? (transparent rather than white) or something to do with creating a new grid channel? Shots in the dark here as im really no expert heh.

What happens when you open the BMP in PS after saving it?
    Could swift 3D be going something to the image?

If I open the bmp I get what I expect, grey included. It could well be something swift3d is doing, but it is something it is not doing to other images so I suspected my properties on this particular one :/ There was orginally a grid layer and background layer, I merged down and thought that would combine the two, but apparently not?

5uspect wrote: »
    What format are you saving in?
    You can only use transparency when saving in gif and png formats iirc.
    There should be a tickbox in the save dialog.

That did it actually. I unchecked the alpha box and I have my grey back :D
    Why only swift3d reacted this way is strange.

Thanks man!

• Advertisement

No bother. glad it worked.

Advertisement