Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A horrible experience with Aer Lingus Barcelona-Cork flight

Options
  • 17-08-2010 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Xiangjiao

Hi,

I would just like to share a recent appalling experience I had with Aer Lingus last Wednesday. I'm a loyal Aer Lingus customer, but the groundstaff they employ in Barcelona are absolutely awful. I have just returned to Cork after living Barcelona for a year, and have been a regular visitor to the city for many years before that. I always fly Aer Lingus because i appreciate the quality of their service. But in my years flying this route, I have seen appalling thing after appalling thing without complaining, but this time was a bridge too far. I wrote the below to take with me to the Aer Lingus desk in Cork Airport on Sunday to aid my memory (the guy there was stunned, and said if that had happened to him "it would be more than just calling Joe Duffy I'd be doing!"), and also when I called Aer Lingus yesterday to offer them the right of reply before going on the radio (on this occasion, the supervisor who took my call was equally shocked and said I should definitely go on the radio, as their complaints department only deal via fax).

Here goes:

Part 1:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Xiangjiao

Part 2:

Part 3:

If you've ever flown from Ireland with Aer Lingus to Barcelona in (at least) the last four and a half year, you'll have been handled by this company, NEWCO. I wonder if anyone here has had any similar or worse experiences in dealing with them? I use this route regularly. I fly with Aer Lingus everywhere wherever possible. This company is doing great damage to the esteem in which I and many others I know hold the company. I would hope that Aer Lingus would consider changing their outsourcers, as the trip for me has become something of a reliable misery.

• I haven't flown Aer Lingus to Barcelona, but I've had bad experiences with ground staff elsewhere, especially London Heathrow. Did you get the name of the lady who told you to f**k off?

Not yet, unfortunately.

I just entered an email correspondence with newco, who will investigate. When I return later in the month I will look for her and demand her name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Ha, to long for me to bother with, sounds like this bloke who phoned up Neil prendavile today on 96FM, to long a cry so i changed over...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Xiangjiao wrote: »
    When I return later in the month I will look for her and demand her name.
    You seem to do a lot of demanding.

Maybe a different approach may make for a more satisfactory outcome and experiences going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭goulders

did this journey, all staff could not do more for us, I am a wheelchair user. 10 out of 10 to all concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Crackerjack23

The Aussie wrote: »
    Ha, to long for me to bother with, sounds like this bloke who phoned up Neil prendavile today on 96FM, to long a cry so i changed over...

Why do people bother to post if they are not bothered with a subject. The reason why we have professional people acting like ignorant pigs and treating people like s--t is because people like mr aussie are too lazy to get off their ass and speak up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You may well have a complaint, but the simple fact is the letter is too long, too rambling and no one receiving it will take it seriously. It's a simple truth when complaining: the harder they have to work to understand your complaint, the less likely they are to anything about it.

You need to be concise about what happened, with whom it happened and when (chronologically is always helpful). Cut some of the rambling, the emotive language and stick with the cold, hard fact: "At 22.30, this happened", "I spoke to X at approx 22.45 and was told..:" coupled with sufficient, but measured tone of annoyance.

Then be concise about exactly what you want in return from Aer Lingus. Bullet points are good. "I would like to know why we were delayed", "I would like to know why NEWCO had no English language information", "I would like to know what Aer Lingus intend to do about" etc. Make it easy for them to answer your questions, and if they don't make it easy for you to reply back going "You haven't addressed the second point on my list" etc.

There is no point in doing this by phone or at the airport. Do it by (registered post), to their Customer Care Department at Aer Lingus HQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Why do people bother to post if they are not bothered with a subject. The reason why we have professional people acting like ignorant pigs and treating people like s--t is because people like mr aussie are too lazy to get off their ass and speak up.

Nah its not that i dont speak up at all, i dont go crying like a child, why bore people to death on all forms of media in one day, how many other media outlets were approached but said grow up.

If your not happy with how your treated there are proper channels in which to use, before starting a media blitz that makes you out to be a petchulant child.

• OP, you're probably not going to get her name now, and looking for her will make you look like a crazy stalker. The moment she told me to f**k off, I would have calmly asked to see her ID and told her she was going to be reported.

I agree the letter is too long, you could easily cut it down to one page. From what I understood from skimming it, your main points are that 1) they were slow to provide info on the cancelled flight, 2) they couldn't tell you when your new flight would be, 3) a member of their ground staff verbally abused you and 4) there weren't enough refreshment vouchers.

I'm not sure entirely what you point about the hotel was. I would initially have said the same as the employee - the offer was there, if you didn't want to take it, you didn't have to. It really wasn't their problem if you intended to go to a friend's place instead, and it wasn't their problem that the hotel was in Sabadell either, if they provided the transport there and back. Sabadell is in the Barcelona metro area, it's not like they wanted to send you to Valencia. If I understood correctly, you wanted to find out when the flight was so you knew what time to come back, but the ground staff probably didn't know at that point. I would agree with them that it wasn't their problem how you got back to Barcelona once you declined the offer of a hotel.

Now, I do agree that it sounds like the ground staff were unprofessional, but you can't blame them for everything. You dropped your bus ticket, that's your fault. You decided not to go on the free bus to the free hotel, that's your fault. The fact that the taxi driver wouldn't take you, that's not Aer Lingus' fault either. Saying it was their fault because they made you get flustered is just going to make you look ridiculous. I can't help but suggest that if you'd just gone along with the arrangements like everyone else did instead of deciding to do your own thing (why?), most of this wouldn't have happened. I would drop all the stuff that happened after you refused your hotel and concentrate on the other facts. Of course, report the lady who swore at you, because that's highly unprofessional, but the other stuff just weakens your case, IMO.

Guys, this is not a letter I sent them. They don't accept letters anyway (fax only). This was something I wrote to be able to refer to when I visited the desk at Cork airport last Sunday, and during a phonecall on Monday. As such, it necessarily needs to be long as to contain all details (relevant, semi-relevant, irrelevant, positive, negative etc). It is a fair an accurate account though.

As advised, I sent a fax outlining the general issues for complaint (lack of attention to passengers, lack of information, lack of visibility of staff, refusal of passenger rights, unwarranted and vile personal abuse, etc) in concise fashion.

Appreciate some of the comments and advice above guys, thanks.

I hope that Aer Lingus can sort out the ongoing problems with Newco's service, and to give Newco their due here, their COO has been very quick to get back to me by email and appears to be genuinely interested in dealing with the matter. We'll see.

This is not the first time I've encountered problems with Newco, but delays and cancellation are a fairly routine thing in modern air travel. We've all experienced it at one time or another. The manner in which the company deals with such a crisis is key, and in all my many years of travelling and flying I have never encountered a company so apparently ill-equipped to deal with what is hardly an act of god. Basic manners and courtesy cost nothing either, being arrogant and insulting (even in the face of provocation, and I was not personally rude nor did I raise my voice) is never the answer. From a personal level, I feel that I did everything I was asked to do by the company and ultimately left shafted.

Just as I would recommend a company or service to a friend, I think it's equally fair that one would let it be known when something goes seriously askew. Bear in mind that there were a lot of disgruntled and upset passengers stranded outside that carpark besides myself asking the same questions. I'm not arrogant enough to think that posting this on a forum will change or improve anything, but we can only live in hope.

And feck it, won't I be flying the same route with the same shower in just under a fortnight's time. ;)

goulders wrote: »
    did this journey, all staff could not do more for us, I am a wheelchair user. 10 out of 10 to all concerned.

Good to hear, goulders.

OP, you're probably not going to get her name now, and looking for her will make you look like a crazy stalker. The moment she told me to f**k off, I would have calmly asked to see her ID and told her she was going to be reported.

BTW- no name tag. TBH, when someone is that out control you can't deal with them anymore, which is why I demanded to speak to someone else. You can't expect reason from someone behaving like that, spiting fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Guys, this is not a letter I sent them. They don't accept letters anyway (fax only)

For future reference: they do accept letters.

Aer Lingus Customer Care Unit
    Aer Lingus Head Office
    Dublin Airport
    Ireland

BuffyBot wrote: »
    For future reference: they do accept letters.

Aer Lingus Customer Care Unit
    Aer Lingus Head Office
    Dublin Airport
    Ireland

Really? Thanks.

I have that address on the paper I was handed by the guy in Cork airport. I was advised by him and the guy on the phone to fax. Doubling up with a registered letter can't do any harm as well so, I guess.

Incidentally, the guy in Cork airport told me if I ever happen to have any such problem again, simply to "demand" to speak to Seán O'Mahony, the Aer Lingus Manager for Spain. He could be in Madrid, he said; he could be in Barcelona. "You'll never know. But he is always available to them by phone day and night, and he would not be one but impressed to hear of this".

• Xiangjiao wrote: »
    BTW- no name tag. TBH, when someone is that out control you can't deal with them anymore, which is why I demanded to speak to someone else. You can't expect reason from someone behaving like that, spiting fire.

She will certainly have had some sort of airport ID and if it wasn't visible, I'd just have asked for her name. You could have also asked the nicer colleague for her name at the time.

She will certainly have had some sort of airport ID and if it wasn't visible, I'd just have asked for her name. You could have also asked the nicer colleague for her name at the time.

It wasn't visible, I did look. Some of them have visible tags, some don't. Her's had the company with no name. With hindsight you're spot on. I should have asked the other guy, he was no so nice and polite and apologetic. By this time I was barely able to think staight after what had gone one before and just wanted to get out of there. I really missed a trick there.

Nevermind. In this isntance, it seems Newco are looking into. As I pass through there regualar enough, if they suggest that they want to me ID her (in picture, or person) sometime I can. If not, I can provide a very clear description of what she looked like, she would be the only one that night who would fit the description.

Newco have been back to me again today for further details, this is a very promising sign. I'm surprised and impressed and their rate of response.

On advice form the EC's helpline, they suggested that it might be best for me to remove the detailed posting I made on this form earlier in case I might need recourse to legal methods at a later date. I hope not, but i'll go along with that. As regards to this thread, I would like to thank all for some very helpful and insightful contributions. I would hope that the mod would leave the thread open lest anyone else feel like chipping in, but I suspect with the 'juice' so to speak removed, he or she may end up locking it. Either way I hope it remains as it contains some sound advice.

Thanks again guys!

-Xiangjiao

• Advertisement

The Aussie wrote: »

There was someone on 96fm about it? Is it possible to get audio or listenback, does anyone know?

• OP, what are you hoping to get out of this? As I see it, your flight was cancelled, they were slow to announce what was happening, you didn't get your refreshment voucher and some woman was rude to you. Why are you talking about going down the legal route? What do you wish to be compensated for? The cup of tea you never got?

OP, what are you hoping to get out of this? As I see it, your flight was cancelled, they were slow to announce what was happening, you didn't get your refreshment voucher and some woman was rude to you. Why are you talking about going down the legal route? What do you wish to be compensated for? The cup of tea you never got?

An apology for the woman's extreme rudeness and adequate explanation as to why my communication rights weren't observed would probably suffice, along with some sense that the company might take serious steps to make sure the general level of service there improves in the future. The calls to me were key, because my wife was left frantic at home, and bit the head off me for not letting her know. My dad's in a bad way lately and he was made to wait around in Cork airport for far longer than he had to.

The main thing here is that this is not an isolated incident with regard to Newco, i have experienced pathetic levels of service from them in the past, witnessed some terrible things, and heard of countless more. A former work colleague (who was on my outward flight the week before, incidentally) said to me the other day after i got back that "The Newco staff there are rude, abrupt and unhelpful and if I didn't have to travel to work with Barcelona, it would almost be enough to turn me off ever traveling there again.".

I fly this route A LOT. I have lived there. I am toying with the idea of moving back there in a few months. I will be heading to attend some courses in early september, so this is a service I use regularly. Okay, for me Aer Lingus' staff are the friendliest, most helpful and accomodating staff of any airline I've ever used, and generally highly competent. So most other crews will compare unfavourably. But Newco in Barcelona, over a long period of time, are to m incedibly poor, the worst I have ever dealt with. if they could raise their standards even to the same level as Ryanair or even Vueling, I'd be happy. And no customer should ever, under any circumstances ever again experience the sort of sustained verbal abuse and taunting I experiened last week.

Look, in short, if they could just get their act together at Newco I'll be a happy man, and as for my rights an acknowledgement and apology would suffice. We all balls up, and when we do it's only fair to put our hands up and say okay, me messed up this time. We'll try and make sure it doesn't happen again.

*edit* Sorry, I only addressed your first point. As for legal action? No I certainly hope not. What for? Breach of passenger rights. Can't see that happening, it's not like I'm asking for much really.

An apology for the woman's extreme rudeness and adequate explanation as to why my communication rights weren't observed would probably suffice, along with some sense that the company might take serious steps to make sure the general level of service there improves in the future. The calls to me were key, because my wife was left frantic at home, and bit the head off me for not letting her know. My dad's in a bad way lately and he was made to wait around in Cork airport for far longer than he had to.

While I agree the calls should have been provided, I don't understand why you simply couldn't find another way to call home. You genuinely had neither a mobile nor any way to obtain change to make a call from a public booth? Really? What if something had happened on the way to the airport?
    I fly this route A LOT. I have lived there. I am toying with the idea of moving back there in a few months. I will be heading to attend some courses in early september, so this is a service I use regularly. Okay, for me Aer Lingus' staff are the friendliest, most helpful and accomodating staff of any airline I've ever used, and generally highly competent. So most other crews will compare unfavourably. But Newco in Barcelona, over a long period of time, are to m incedibly poor, the worst I have ever dealt with. if they could raise their standards even to the same level as Ryanair or even Vueling, I'd be happy. And no customer should ever, under any circumstances ever again experience the sort of sustained verbal abuse and taunting I experiened last week.

From what you said, it hardly sounded like sustained taunting. I totally agree that the lady was rude and unprofessional. But try to see it from her side. She's stressed, she has a plane load of passengers to accommodate, and there's this guy determined to do his own thing, doesn't avail of the free bus and then starts asking about how to get to Barcelona, and tells her its their problem (it wasn't their problem). I mean, as far as I can see, you created a lot of your own problems here. It's very possible that the lady didn't know the new flight details at that stage, so you ranting on at her for information was pointless. She probably couldn't understand why you were kicking up a fuss instead of going along with whatever had been organised for you. That would annoy me as well, to be honest. As far as I'm concerned, once you decline the bus/hotel, you're on your own. Unless I've missed something here.
    Look, in short, if they could just get their act together at Newco I'll be a happy man, and as for my rights an acknowledgement and apology would suffice. We all balls up, and when we do it's only fair to put our hands up and say okay, me messed up this time. We'll try and make sure it doesn't happen again.

*edit* Sorry, I only addressed your first point. As for legal action? No I certainly hope not. What for? Breach of passenger rights. Can't see that happening, it's not like I'm asking for much really.

I agree that they should apologise about the refreshments, phone calls and telling you to f**k off. But I also think you handled it rather badly and turned an annoyance into a massive ordeal. Not being rude, just my opinion.

Okay Izzy, re point 1:

I was accompanied to the airport and my friend left for town shortly before 10pm. Not having a mobile has been a drag, for sure. But ironically I'd been thinking earlier that day, wow, it's not all that hard to live without these things, is it? Bigger fool me. ;) And for the pick up at the other end, my oul' fella RELIGIOUSLY checks flight information before heading to the airport, so that wasn't a worry even to the extent that I didn't even need to use my friend's mobile to advise him. He's on the ball when it comes to this sort of thing, I ordinarily check too but didn't on this occasion. But all in all, that's no biggie.

I will say several things about her. I witnessed her being rude and curt with her own staff (she didn't seem to have anythinng indicating seniority) which I picked up upon very quickly. I did say early on that I did not need a hotel. I did say early on that I just needed to make those two phone-calls. At that point I would have been out the gap, because airports are a depressing place at the best of the times. I was simply told to go and stand outside the carpark where we would all be atttended to, and did as I was told.

With hindsight I should have left there and then, but I thought, okay, grand.

I can't make this part clear enough- I had already said that I didn't need a hotel. I didn't want a hotel. I was fine on that score. Barca's like a home to me, as I've said. If my flight was cancelled in Cork I sure as hell wouldn't stay in a hotel, I'd go home. What I did need as a matter of urgency here was use of the phone. All these things like booking hotels, buses, herding people, take time an effort (although I am sure these eventualities are all planned for, I don't think they did these things badly). But as for letting a guy make a couple of phone calls? A thing of nothing, really.

What irked me, was that after doing as told, and waiting much time to be attended to, all that happened was that buses for hotels arrived. A service I had already made clear I didn't need. And no reps. I really didn't know what to do at this point, and continued to wait. This was my biggest mistake- at this point I just about had enough time to make the metro. Here, I'll hold my hand up here- I screwed this one up, and learned a valuable lesson in the process.

Now when I finally realise no reps are coming, I hotfoot it back to the terminal, and I encounter the woman who I had already told i did not need a hotel. She gave me short shrift, so I went inside, did my utmost to locate other staff, went to information, the company's offices, the check in desk we'd been sent to early- no-one. And it dawns on me that maybe I now can't make it in to the city. I go outside to find the staff as advised. I am then instantly treated to a barrage of abuse, taunted and insulted at this point. Why would the woman be stressed now? They had done their job of sending 100+ by coach to a hotel whilst maintaining minimal to zero presence throughout. The presence thing to me is important- even if it's just one or two people offering token attention. More than that, is is a legal obligation.

*end note* the new flight details were known by the time i encountered her when she abused me from the off, as her calmer colleague was able to inform with some precision. this wasn't an issue at the time.

I would definitely agree on all points. But only with the benefit of hindsight. i will just say again, I stated that I would not be requiring a hotel early on. in order to avail of the other things i was entitled and needed, i did as was told and was pretty much shafted. I am an extremely polite person but I was left exasperated by the end of it.

So yes, I know now that in future if i find myself in this situation and nothing is forthcoming, it's just less hassle to leave.

Really though, even as I worried looking at the clock I never thought I would be left absiolutely stranded at the airport. Even if the hotel had been the 5 Star Melia i would have preferred to stay with my friends, in my old apartment.

So in hindsight, I can easily say yes- I was a bit of an idiot. I was naive in the extreme. But at the same token, I did what I was told to do at every step and found myself left hight and dry and that's what galls me more than anything.

Yes- next time I will just exit the building the second the flight is cancelled when I'm on something resembling home turf. But I will say this- i have travelled much in my life, experienced countless delays, several cancellations, but never such ineptitude and rudeness.

Really. Two phone calls would have done it for me.

In short, I could have handled things better for sure, but my god they should have handled things a hell of a lot better.

And, after all this, I would just hope that Newco could improve their customer service skills (as I've said, this is not an isolated incident, just the most spectacularly bad- if i started on others I'd be here all day. Don't have the desire to drag up old muck). At present, on a scale of 1-10, i would have them hovering above zero. A LOT of other passengers waiting were complaining about the lack of information, presence, and attention too. But we are nothing if not a patient or jolly lot us, us Irish, and I think that that natural side of our character was taken advantage of as the company abrogated all but the bare minimum in terms of care.

Look I'll stop here as I'm rambling now. I hope I have answered your questions.

Slán.

Okay Izzy, re point 1:

I was accompanied to the airport and my friend left for town shortly before 10pm. Not having a mobile has been a drag, for sure. But ironically I'd been thinking earlier that day, wow, it's not all that hard to live without these things, is it? Bigger fool me. ;)

Still don't see why you had no change, or couldn't get any, for a public phone? Or couldn't somehow borrow someone else's? I'm sure there had to be a solution other than the airline providing you with a phone.
    I can't make this part clear enough- I had already said that I didn't need a hotel. I didn't want a hotel. I was fine on that score. Barca's like a home to me, as I've said. If my flight was cancelled in Cork I sure as hell wouldn't stay in a hotel, I'd go home. What I did need as a matter of urgency here was use of the phone. All these things like booking hotels, buses, herding people, take time an effort (although I am sure these eventualities are all planned for, I don't think they did these things badly). But as for letting a guy make a couple of phone calls? A thing of nothing, really.

I agree, but I also would have just found a way to make my own calls if it was so important.
    What irked me, was that after doing as told, and waiting much time to be attended to, all that happened was that buses for hotels arrived. A service I had already made clear I didn't need. And no reps. I really didn't know what to do at this point, and continued to wait. This was my biggest mistake- at this point I just about had enough time to make the metro. Here, I'll hold my hand up here- I screwed this one up, and learned a valuable lesson in the process.

I still didn't understand why you didn't just go to the hotel. You had no money, it was late, you had no info about the next flight. Why pick the option which makes everything ten times more difficult than it needs to be? You also would have had access to a phone at the hotel.
    Now when I finally realise no reps are coming, I hotfoot it back to the terminal, and I encounter the woman who I had already told i did not need a hotel. She gave me short shrift, so I went inside, did my utmost to locate other staff, went to information, the company's offices, the check in desk we'd been sent to early- no-one. And it dawns on me that maybe I now can't make it in to the city. I go outside to find the staff as advised. I am then instantly treated to a barrage of abuse, taunted and insulted at this point. Why would the woman be stressed now? They had done their job of sending 100+ by coach to a hotel whilst maintaining minimal to zero presence throughout. The presence thing to me is important- even if it's just one or two people offering token attention. More than that, is is a legal obligation.

Working in an airport or any tourism related job is stressful. Believe me. I am not excusing her for one minute but when you have people in your face all day, every day, insisting that their mistakes are your fault, it starts to wear a bit thin. But she shouldn't have told you to f*ck off, no. Although it sounds like she only did so because you provoked her. You probably know that asking someone to say something to your face is quite aggressive in Spain and doesn't really ever encourage a civil response. 'Hostia, que se vaya' is a rude thing to say when the person is standing in front of you, but it isn't abuse.
    *end note* the new flight details were known by the time i encountered her when she abused me from the off, as her calmer colleague was able to inform with some precision. this wasn't an issue at the time.

Fair enough.

I would definitely agree on all points. But only with the benefit of hindsight. i will just say again, I stated that I would not be requiring a hotel early on. in order to avail of the other things i was entitled and needed, i did as was told and was pretty much shafted. I am an extremely polite person but I was left exasperated by the end of it.

If you'd just made your own phone calls, it all would have been avoided. No, technically, you shouldn't have had to, but it would have cost you about a euro and saved you all this hassle.
    So yes, I know now that in future if i find myself in this situation and nothing is forthcoming, it's just less hassle to leave.

Really though, even as I worried looking at the clock I never thought I would be left absiolutely stranded at the airport. Even if the hotel had been the 5 Star Melia i would have preferred to stay with my friends, in my old apartment.

But that's not Newco's problem. They don't give a flying f*ck where you would prefer to stay. And why should they? They don't care that you used to live in Barcelona. I'm sure you weren't the only one. If you wanted to take advantage of the extra night to meet your friends again, that's YOUR lookout. All that stuff about where the hotel was in relation to your friend's place is completely irrelevant. I've done the same thing once or twice, but I also didn't expect any further help from the airline other than being rebooked. And I was aware that going off and doing my own thing was complicating things for them and me.
    So in hindsight, I can easily say yes- I was a bit of an idiot. I was naive in the extreme. But at the same token, I did what I was told to do at every step and found myself left hight and dry and that's what galls me more than anything.

Yes, the service was bad. But (and I'm really not trying to be rude!) you also need to use your common sense. If the bus has driven off and you're about to miss the last metro, don't hang around waiting for reps to approach you. If you're travelling abroad, don't go without a mobile or at least a list of numbers and enough change for a few calls and if you want to go off and do your own thing, don't expect the reps to cater to you when they're busy with the other 100 passengers. It doesn't sound like the rest of the passengers had such a bad experience?

I'm sure you're right about Newco. I've had bad experiences with Spanish ground staff as well. But I think it would be unfair to blame it all on them.

I don't want to get drawn on this here, it's late, I want to sleep. I'll address the first part of the post. I had no mobile phone. Yes, as incredible as this might sound its true. Three and half weeks now i'd been without one. I got myself sorted yeesterday afternoon.

After going through security with everything looking sweet, I used my laser card (with €5.50 on it, oh yes I had checked!) to buy my wife's favourite red wine, El Coto. Cost, something like 5 and a bit, the card worked which was all that mattered. It really was looking good for the flight at that point, the ETA for the flight coming from Cork had been revised forward a whole 36 mins. At any rate, there are no ATM's to withdraw such little cash.

We took the airbus instead of using our travelcards to get the airport to save time and be early. Downside, that accounted for the last of my cash. My payday was the following day, so I wasn't worried. When it was clear the flight was delayed, my friend offered to get us food at Pans and Co. I said no need, they'll feed me before I get on board with this delay but he insisted. He offered to wait longer, but as all the informationn available indicated the flight was going to okay, three hours late, but essentially okay, I told him he'd done more than enough, I was fine, don't worry, head home.

The farthings I had left in my pocket didn't cover a mobile callon the public phones when I tried. That I had a travel card with 1 trip left (at least), made me feel secure... losing it, yes, my own fault.

Kind of a case of everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Feck it, **** happens.

Please, just accept what I'm saying about the mobile. Do you really think I'm lying, or that I'm that stingey with my bill? Come on like.

Anyway, it's zzzzn time, I will look over the rest of your post mañana.

ok... can't let this one go. re phone, re mobile.

Can you please take me at my word on this? Would I really be that much of a tightarse? Would I really fabricate not having one? Come on here. At least take this point at face value, otherwise there can't be any further basis for this. If you think I'm lying here, don't bother engaging me, really!

Re: the degree of rudeness we want to place on 'hostia, que se vaya' When you ask a direct question, ann politely, and a reasonable one at that, to have someone turn around and give you the shoulder and utter that to a docile colleague whilst literally running away from you... that is nothing if not wilfully ignorant and insulting. How woud you react to being treated like you are invisible (Newco had been treating us all like we were invisible all night)?

For me to responde, 'Lo siento pero algo que quieras que decir sobre mí, por favor dime directamente a mí', well is that all so bad? If someone did that to me in English, I'd probably say 'at least have the decency ti sat it io my face'.

Her colleague present at this moment felt this warranted apology, and he did so on his own behalf. I can't help but feel if this nice, pleasant, decent lad had been running the show instead of her things would have been a whole lot better. He had proper people skills, and she had none whatsoever.

Really this time g'night. i'll have a look in the morning at the rest of the above.

ok... can't let this one go. re phone, re mobile.

Can you please take me at my word on this? Would I really be that much of a tightarse? Would I really fabricate not having one? Come on here. At least take this point at face value, otherwise there can't be any further basis for this. If you think I'm lying here, don't bother engaging me, really!

No, you're not getting it. I'm saying you SHOULD have made sure you had a way to contact home before you went abroad. I'm not normally someone to blame the traveller for everything (e.g. "you should have known that the ticket machines at Antwerp station don't work after 10.21pm, duhhh!") but in this case, it's plain common sense. You already knew your flight was having problems, you should have made sure you had change for phone calls. If you didn't have enough, that's your own fault. If you had only 5.50 in your bank account and chose to spend it on wine, and spent the last of your cash on the airbus, that's your own fault. That, quite frankly, is just silly. You don't know when the unexpected might happen. If you'd had 5 euro in coins on you or a working mobile, none of this would have happened. I don't even consider it a case of everything that could go wrong did go wrong. It all went wrong because you were so unprepared for anything outside what you expected to happen. Surely if you travel so often, you know how easy it is for your plans to unravel.
    Re: the degree of rudeness we want to place on 'hostia, que se vaya' When you ask a direct question, ann politely, and a reasonable one at that, to have someone turn around and give you the shoulder and utter that to a docile colleague whilst literally running away from you... that is nothing if not wilfully ignorant and insulting. How woud you react to being treated like you are invisible (Newco had been treating us all like we were invisible all night)?

It is insulting, yes, but it isn't a big a deal as you seem to think it is. There are rude people everywhere. I've been in the same situation on numerous occasions.
    For me to responde, 'Lo siento pero algo que quieras que decir sobre mí, por favor dime directamente a mí', well is that all so bad? If someone did that to me in English, I'd probably say 'at least have the decency ti sat it io my face'.

It's more aggressive in Spanish. It's akin to saying 'go on, insult me'. Just like 'do you want me to do it or not?' conveys mild irritation in English but is incredibly rude in Spanish.
    Her colleague present at this moment felt this warranted apology, and he did so on his own behalf. I can't help but feel if this nice, pleasant, decent lad had been running the show instead of her things would have been a whole lot better. He had proper people skills, and she had none whatsoever.

Probably. But you still handled the situation very badly. Why did the other 100passengers not have the same problems as you?

• Advertisement

Essentially, the €5.50 in my account was valueless as i couldn't withdraw it. I couldn't use it to make phone-calls, I couldn't use it to make a downpayment on a taxi, I couldn't use for anything other than a transaction in one of the stores.

I survived 9 days of the holiday (and the time before) just fine without a mobile. Yes, you are right- I should probably have had the foresight to ask my friend for some change to cover the unexpected. My balls up here. All I can day in defence of my idiocy that all the indications now were looking good for the flight, it had definitely left Cork (late), its ETA was even revised, and having read the handbook on what happens in the case of delay or cancellation I knew I'd be entitled to make two calls (or emails, or faxes) etc. I lacked the foresight to see that I might not receive these, and should have arranged for cash. I also lacked the foresight to see that the flight could still be cancelled, but once it left Cork for sure and was on its way, earlier than anticipated previously i dumbly assumed that I would be back in Cork for two long.

In short, i should not have taken for granted that flight would go (despite assurances) and that my rights re: phonecalls would be observed.

I should have left the airport immediately upon hearing of the cancellation.

Yes, plenty of this is common sense, but some of it comes with hindsight too. I still think being denied those phone calls was inexcusable. There would have been no subsequent problems.

It is not like me to not have money in these situations, but this was a trip undertaken necessarily at the minimum of expense. I had to query matters with the University of Barcelona, and being there in person was the only way to go. In the overall context of my holiday, splashing out €5 on the aerobus instead of using my T10 for the metro and train was a luxury.

I'm not saying I did everything right in all if this at all. My rights were violated, rights which were essential. Why have rights if you can't use them? The flipside is that I will never trust an airline again to manage these situations (in every other similar situation in the past they had, but preparing for the worst is never a bad idea either) and will make sure I can look after myself and am not at the mercy of the whims and competency of the groundstaff.

Advertisement