Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sealant for gap between concrete and Iron

• 17-08-2010 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi All,

I just recently fitted gates ( 7ft by 6ft swinging gates ) to concrete pillars. Hinges and brackets ( long bracket the length of the pillar on one of the corners ) are Iron, the brackets are bolted to pillars. I painted a hammerite type protective layer over all exposed metal surfaces. The metal facing the concrete is untreated as the only way to treat it is remove bracket. I don't want to do this as gates are hung perfectly as is. Is there a sealant available I could use to seal the gap to prevent the Iron being exposed to the elements. The sealant would need to adhere to metal and concrete. I had intended to galvanise the brackets, but I had to hang gates first to solder brackets to be perfect for unperfect pillars. Now they're up and working I'm reluctant to take them down.

Any Ideas gratefully received.

Rgds
    S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

tec7

Can be got at any decent hardware outlet

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Springsteen

Thanks Snyper,
    It looks like wall7 will do the job.
    S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

anysilicone sealent will weatherproof that just make sure both surfaces are clean and dust free. I would use a clear silicone or indeed a black silicone.

You could also consider using a greese which would be easier to remove should you need to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

anysilicone sealent will weatherproof that just make sure both surfaces are clean and dust free. I would use a clear silicone or indeed a black silicone.

You could also consider using a greese which would be easier to remove should you need to...

You can get a black "roof and gutter" sealant that doesnt really dry, sounds like it would do the job also? I think getting Tec7 to stick to concrete thats not really sound could be an issue..and since you cant stabilise it if it already has something attached to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Springsteen

Thanks Guys. Great advice. Off to the providers I go. Hi Ho!

• Advertisement
Advertisement