Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stihl petrol strimmer/brush cutter

Options
  • 17-08-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Anyone have a recommendation on a stihl petrol brush cutter? I am looking at the 200-300 mark and for a half acre garden. I have read that the stihl are very reliable and better than many other brands.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Stihl are overpriced here , they make a good product but not enough to justify their price over other brands in this country.
    2-300 won't get you much in the Stihl range but it will buy you a good 30+cc brushcutter from Maruyama, Tanaka or Kawasaki.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Look on ebay. You will get a new Stihl Combi engine unit for about €250 & you can add a strimmer attachment. This way you get a versatile machine & can also add hedgecutter, blower, chainsaw attachments as you need them.
    Plus you get a machine that "breaks" in two for easy transport & storage.

I have a Combi with extension poles, strimmer, chainsaw, hedgecutter etc. It is about 8 years old, is used every day & has never even had the plug changed !

Some sellers will state that they cannot post - they have to do this to comply with Stihl policy. Always ignore this & email them to ask. If you don't want to buy online then phone some Stihl dealers in the North.

I just bought a new Honda gearbox. €200 online from UK inc postage €360 from Irish Honda dealer !

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭macuser56

Thanks disco dog.

Do you know what model you have or a good model to buy. I find it very hard to work out the differences between the stihl models.

Have you purchased from a particular dealer in the north?

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Mine is the smallest Combi. The current version is the KM 56. Some will argue that the bigger models are more powerful but I have never found the small one inadequate - even with the chainsaw attachment.

I prefer it because it is lighter & because it is a two stroke rather than the more complex 4 stroke. I have not used a specific dealer as I buy from ebay. Go on the Stihl UK site & make a list of NI dealers. Phone them - don't email as it is Stihl policy for dealers not to export.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

macuser i'd be interested to hear how you get on as im in the market myself for a brushcutter

• Advertisement

to be honest i am a bit baffled by the different models and find it hard to work out what to buy. The Stihl website does not really explain the differences between the different models.

im gonna have a look at the website now....the combi unit sounds good

thanks- very helpful. I will have a look at prices and see where I can source one

any update mac??

• Advertisement

Just bought a tanaka from healys in Rathnew in Wicklow. Very good so far. Nice compromise machine- not too heavy or noisy, but may not be suitable for very heavy use.

Pleased with the balance we got in the end. Thanks for all advice

hi again mac
    what kinda money did you give for the tanaka? does it have both strimmer and brush cutter heads? what hp is it..im only in rathdrum so might be interested in this aswell...does it have the loop handle of the handle bars on it
    thanks mac

It was 300 for the tanaka. Healys are good people- helpful advice for someone who needs help choosing!. I went for brush cutter only. It can be adapted, but I focussed on getting brush cutter for now. For 350 there is the slightly more powerful handle bar version. Mine is the loop handle.

where in rathnew are healy's based...the industrial estate up by the filling station? might pop in on saturday

is that in a housing estate mac??

No there is a large unit off the road which backs on to a gaa pitch, and it is in this unit. I *think* he is beside the an post sorting office- can't quite remember what's in the other part of the building. If you are coming from the dublin side driving towards Wicklow, take the right turn at the school (just before Tinakilly house on left) and drive up under railway line and you will see this unit on the right. It's about half a mile up from the school turn.

Best of luck. Hope he has what you need

Thanks mac I know where it is now

i was just up there with ronnie this morning..absolute gentleman...didnt try and sell me what i didnt need and gave me all the options available without the hard sell..im going to do my homework on which model best suits me and i know who i'll be buying off....
    thanks for the heads up mac....

That's good to hear- agree with you. He is a gent and gives good advice.

• Advertisement

got my strimmer of ronnie today and all i can say is its some machine...delighted with it..making very light work of what was a big job with the old piece old ****

excellent- been using mine to with great success too- what one did you go for? Ronnie knows his stuff..

got my strimmer of ronnie today and all i can say is its some machine...delighted with it..making very light work of what was a big job with the old piece old ****

i went for the tbc 340 with the loop handle....the few extra cc's are worth it...it did the usual area in less than half the time this weekend.went for the alloy head which is a dream to use as it takes the larger gauge gut..also got the normal head and the blade...she's thirsty though much more that the last one but that the bigger enigine for you

Advertisement