Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Federal Premium 40 grain

Options
  • 17-08-2010 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

I got hold of a couple of boxes of Federal Premium a couple of years back. Tried them, didn't group great, so back of the safe they went forgotten. Thought of them this morning out of the blue. Most if not all the moly has been taken out of the barrel so why not give them a go I thought.

Set up my board at 100 yards back on the farm. Got it on paper on the first shot (I know you won't believe that after seeing the last attempt Tack, but I did!). Windage was pretty good so I did a rough guess of the elevation and fired three shots.

federalpremium.jpg

:D

Printed out some of Robert Bucknells fox targets a while back and had a go.

foxtarget.jpg

Found this lovely greycrow photo on the web ages back, why not :cool:

crowtarget.jpg

Feeling just a bit :D now. And! No noise :D:D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

You'll do better and better. that rifle is almost capable of 1 hole groups!

Keep trying to bet your best!

but well done, That is deffo 1 minute of Crow in any mans language!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Heh, heh,

Had to look for a second there on the crow one. Thought the hole was his eye.

Nice shooting.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    Heh, heh,

Had to look for a second there on the crow one. Thought the hole was his eye.

Nice shooting.

I always was of the opinion the 55grain was the Optimum load in .223, But i may try some of those 40 grainers. I've almost no Hornady ammo left.

I never used premium 40 grainers, just them Cheapo Remmyu ones.

I know John will get a tighter group. Just has to get them perfect Conemara Conditions !
    or a frost Morning in October when there is not a puff of Air!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

thats some good shooting john, you must be itching to try it on the real thing, god help charly now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I had my old spotting scope, cheap Aldi/Lidl junk, checking out the crow photo and thought the same as you Ez :D

There was a nice wind in it today, am right beside the sea here so it's tough to get away from it. I didn't start off going back to group, just make a little noise and test out the new T8.

Niall was wanting to go out tonight, but there's a birthday girl to be made a fuss over tomorrow so some shut eye tonight is definitely called for. There'll be plenty of nights for foxes yet, still only August!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I'm sick tellin lads that the federal 40gr stuff in 223 is the business.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

just out of pure interest whats the price of these

jap gt wrote: »
    just out of pure interest whats the price of these

I reckon I bought them in 2007/08, they were €30 a box back then in Halpins in Listowel. Most likely get them cheaper elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

I used the Federal Vshok 40gr. for a good while and had excellent results:

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

and a lot of sleeping charlie's (permanently!!:D)

Fish

That's some fine shootin' there FS :D

Off out for a fox tonight methinks.

• Advertisement

Using Hornady 40gr. B.Tips at the moment as couldn't get any fed's but they were in around 1" at 200 at the range last Sat.

(Clive Keep quite about making the holes with the Biro!!;):D:D)

But would prefer the Fed's.

The V shok were €28 per 20 in Mc Brides.

When there was moly in my barrel I couldn't get the Federals to group under 1" at all at 100. Cleaned the hell out of it one evening/night & morning and now look at them :eek:

I'm not particular about what ammo brand I use as long as it' meets requirements, namely accurate and bloody available!

Yeah, I tend to avoid that molly stuff altogether.

Yeah, I tend to avoid that molly stuff altogether.

I think it's a case of use/not use but never mix IMvHO.

I got a nice headshot bunny with Moly this eve ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

As Tac says, either use or not use ............. NEVER mix afaik;)

That dentist has done something to me :eek::eek: I'm agreeing with Tac :p

Yep, it'll cost ya a box of ammo to shoot the molly out of a barrel or to sweitch from copper to molly.

Your'e right it's one or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

is there a link where i can get that fox target? i've been searching for something like it but cant find anything i like

declan1980 wrote: »
    is there a link where i can get that fox target? i've been searching for something like it but cant find anything i like

Available in the Tips section of the hunting forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59900802&highlight=target#post59900802

Courtesy of that man again Clive J

Fish

Yep, it'll cost ya a box of ammo to shoot the molly out of a barrel or to sweitch from copper to molly.

Your'e right it's one or the other.

Soak the barrel in Kroil over night. Also I have heard that acetone (nail polish remover) does an excellent job of removing moly, but I have not tried that method yet.

Whether it's true or not, word around the net is the danger from moly is that it attracts moisture. This moisture then reacts with the powder from fired rounds and forms a nasty acid which can harm your barrel.

That why the correct method for using moly is remove absolutely everything from the bore first. Then coat with moly grease on a patch, and then shoot moly rounds.

Advertisement