Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What class are you?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Im late for class:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Upper class darling, and so's my wife.

Ok seriously? I don't really like class distinction but I suppose I'd be termed middle class, based on education and family background.
    That and I frequent lots of farmers markets :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

O.P, could you give an short description of a hypothetical person from each of the classes listed in your opening post? Eg. what's the difference between lower working class and working class?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

storm2811 wrote: »
    Or carpet?

Ooooh look at mister upper class with his carpeted schools! :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I am Royalty. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

fcuk yiz all, im bleedin' royalty :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

The class system is a bit of a farce, there is an estate in liverpool where 80% of the people are said to be unemployed...... and they would probably be described as working class?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

changes wrote: »
    The class system is a bit of a farce, there is an estate in liverpool where 80% of the people are said to be unemployed...... and they would probably be described as working class?

Yes!

In Liverpool, having a job makes you Upper-Class!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

changes wrote: »

Well they may be unemployed but that doesn't mean they're not making a living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Plebs

javaboy wrote: »
    Well they may be unemployed but that doesn't mean they're not making a living.

The money's terrible, but the hours ain't bad.

• Advertisement

O.P, could you give an short description of a hypothetical person from each of the classes listed in your opening post? Eg. what's the difference between lower working class and working class?

Ok. I've just done that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Middle Class but Royalty at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Plebs wrote: »
    Ok. I've just done that. :pac:
    Ok.
    Royalty (titled, polo, royal enclosures, personal tailor, servants, estate in country with 10,000s, town house in London). ~0.01% of population.

Upper class (educated at private school, at least 3 generations of wealth in family, educated at red-brick university, summer house and country house, likes art, music, high culture, very discreet). ~0.3% of population.

Upper middle class (doctors, barristers, engineers, managers, administrators, professors earning €150k plus. D4/D6/Howth/Dalkey/etc.) ~0.7% of population.
    Middle class (€50k to €100k, family history not really relevant, own house, pension, holidays twice a year, 2008 Ford Mondeo, university educated). ~4% of population.
    Lower middle class (€30k to €50k, owns flat/rents, implementer/functionary, may not have degree/diploma, travels by bus, MBNA credit card). ~25% of population.

Upper working class (50k+, owns house, drives big car, self-made man/woman, holidays in Costa del Sol, no university education, 2008 Isuzu D-Max in driveway). ~15% of population.
    Working class (€25 to €50k, drinks in the local, loves watching sport on the telly, holidays once a year, probably works for the Corpo). ~25% of the population.
    Lower working class (factory worker, labourer, works with hands, not the brightest) ~10% of population

Underclass I (single mothers, long-term unemployed, totally dependent on the State) ~10% of population
    Underclass II (prisoners, junkies, criminals) ~3% of population

Where did you get these figures, or did you just make them up?
    More importantly, what do you expect to achieve from trolling here?

Also, which class are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

This is a republic OP, all people are equal, no class society :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Working class (€25 to €50k, drinks in the local, loves watching sport on the telly, holidays once a year, probably works for the Corpo). ~25% of the population.

25% of the population work for the Corporation. Jammy bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Royalty (titled, polo, royal enclosures, personal tailor, servants, estate in country with 10,000s, town house in London). ~0.01% of population.

Upper class (educated at private school, at least 3 generations of wealth in family, educated at red-brick university, summer house and country house, likes art, music, high culture, very discreet). ~0.3% of population.

Upper middle class (doctors, barristers, engineers, managers, administrators, professors earning €150k plus. D4/D6/Howth/Dalkey/etc.) ~0.7% of population.
    Middle class (€50k to €100k, family history not really relevant, own house, pension, holidays twice a year, 2008 Ford Mondeo, university educated). ~4% of population.
    Lower middle class (€30k to €50k, owns flat/rents, implementer/functionary, may not have degree/diploma, travels by bus, MBNA credit card). ~25% of population.

Upper working class (50k+, owns house, drives big car, self-made man/woman, holidays in Costa del Sol, no university education, 2008 Isuzu D-Max in driveway). ~15% of population.
    Lower working class (factory worker, labourer, works with hands, not the brightest) ~10% of population

Underclass I (single mothers, long-term unemployed, totally dependent on the State) ~10% of population

So many fcuking generalisations it's not even funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Erica<3

Middle class or upper middle class, going on the way you described it, but class system doesn't matter to me in the least.

This is a republic OP, all people are equal, no class society :D

No they're not.

I don't think we should be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

12th level paladin, lawful good

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Op did you get your ideas of what people in the different "classes" are like from sit coms?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ridiculous generalization anyway.

A barrister may be a prestigious job though some say they are snakes ;).
    Up to recently a sparks or plumber would earn far, far more then a barrister so who how exactly is one a lower class then then the other?

And where are farmers on your list?
    Some are millionaires and some earn less then the dole, where are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

WORLD:cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Where would Sarah, Duchess of York (descendant of Charles II) be in this grand scheme?

Royalty?
    Broke?
    Single mother?

Oh noes, I don't even know what she drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

You left out the aristocrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

You've got Royalty: 0.01%
    Upper Class : 0.3%
    Upper Middle Class : 0.7%
    Middle Class : 4%
    Lower Middle Class : 25%
    Upper Working Class: 15%
    Working Class : 25%
    Lower Working Class: 10%
    Underclass 1 : 10%
    Underclass 2 : 3%
    Total: 93.01%

I'm in the un-opinionated other 6.99%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Feels like I'm jumping in on the bash-the-OP bandwagon, but feck it.

Median income in Ireland, according to the 2008 EU Survey of Income and Living Conditions, is about 21k. That means that half the population earn less than this. If you'd prefer to think in terms of households, the median income for households is 35k. To make this perfectly clear: half the population is living on less than 21k. Half the population lives in a household that earns less than 35k. Describing half the population as "not the brightest" and/or "totally dependent on the State" says very little about the actual characteristics of that half of the population and a great deal about your preconceptions of what constitutes a respectable income and your understanding of the country you live in beyond your own narrow social circle. Further to that: someone in the top 10% of earners actually earns about twice the median income, so anyone on over 42k or so is in that 10% bracket (2004 figures, so not completely up-to-date). You have twice that earning almost ten thousand more.

If you're going to conduct an exercise such as this, at least make some effort to look into the numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Gaudizeit wrote: »

Wherever you're going with that, I disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

Superbus wrote: »
    Wherever you're going with that, I disagree.

you like men?

Advertisement