Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What class are you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Maja wrote: »
    Depends on what you understand by high culture...:rolleyes: is theater high culture or symphony orchestra? Its only snobby if you go there to show yourself, not if you love music...
    True. I guess I'm talking about the kind of people who buy paintings for the name of the artist, not necessarily because they like them, more for showing off, I kinda associate them with 'high culture' because it sounds a bit elitist, I'm not sure why it's not just culture rather than high culture. Is a cartoonist less cultural than a piccolo player? You know what I mean. Different forum I guess..
    Gotta go. Cheerio.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Give over, women don't like heart, they like money and fast cars

That's a bit of a generalisation. I don't want someone with lots of money or fast cars, in fact I run for the hills if I'm approached by them. (Guys I mean, not money or fast cars) :p
    In my experience most of the guys who think having these things are the most important things to have in life turn out to be self-centered arrogant inadequate gits.

Give me a poor guy with a kind heart, a sense of humour and a love of books and animals who rides a battered old bicycle any day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

-do you think we can qualify this german officer as upper class? I am sure he was driving good car though and he had great house and he could afford maid (for free but who cares and if he killed few jews in the mean time it doesnt matter really)
    That's what I mean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

To summarise this thread:

Are you the Queen? Yes/No

Are you Frasier Crane? Yes/No

If you answered no to the above, you are a person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

I can only say that beeing wealthy and educated doesnt always mean beeing a good man and in the end, its all what matters..
    (that was heavy... ;)-but I mean it)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

Plebs wrote: »
    No they're not.

I don't think we should be either.

Ok, so Plebs, what class are you?
    And why do you think people should not be equal?

Me it seems, I've yo-yoed up and down through the 'classes', but you know what, I couldn't give a fiddlers fart, I find the only people who actually give much thought to such things are actually quite sad.

Wasn't this, in the past viewed as quite a British thing? It's sad to see that mindset has migrated. Oh and by-the-by, I've known quite a few British people who have done quite well for themselves in life and believe me for the most part they would never act in the hoity toity way some of the A holes we seem to be churning out recently act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭jordan..

the Elite, best of the best

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

This thread doesnt belong here. Is more suited to boards.co.uk
    We Irish have no class, in every sense of the word. We are.....scratch that, we were.... all new money heathens who got abit overexcited with our new cars and trips of the Caribbean.
    Our great grandfathers were all spud munching muck savages who hadnt the price of a bottle of milk.

diddledum wrote: »
    I find the only people who actually give much thought to such things are actually quite sad.

Totally agree; perhaps those who think that way feel they have something to prove to others. I despise people who brag about their new car or how much their gaff is worth (not that there's much of that now :pac:)
    Oh and by-the-by, I've known quite a few British people who have done quite well for themselves in life and believe me for the most part they would never act in the hoity toity way some of the A holes we seem to be churning out recently act.

That's because many of our A holes are nouveau riche who think class=money when they couldn't be further from the truth.

That's my experience of the British I've met too. My ex (still my best mate) is an English chap who came here in '78. He grew up in an upper class family, went to an English public school, has a double-barreled surname- the lot, and a more modest, generous, kind, hard-working and decent guy you couldn't meet.
    He's not loaded either, lives a modest lifestyle and money means little to him, only to have enough to live on and support his kids.

I know several other British here with similar mind-sets and values.

I think if you grow up with wealth (old money shall we say) you realise how little happiness and satisfaction money actually gives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Terry wrote: »
    Of course it's a troll.
    I've reported it. It's up to the mods now.

It isn't a troll thread, you are wrong again honey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

Agricola wrote: »
    We Irish have no class, in every sense of the word. We are.....scratch that, we were.... all new money heathens who got abit overexcited with our new cars and trips of the Caribbean.
    Our great grandfathers were all spud munching muck savages who hadnt the price of a bottle of milk.

But its British, not you who opressed half of the world (including Ireland)...i prefer placid savages over land greedy nobels. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Atari Jaguar

Agricola wrote: »

You hit the nail firmly on the head. Try telling D4 wannabees that though.

It made me sick to read on the boards here last year a story one poor guy told of how his so-called mates -a couple- told him (well it was mostly her who turned into a snobby cow and the guy just went along with it) that they could no longer be friends with him because he was only renting and not a home owner like them! because of course being morgaged up to ones tits on a 3bed semi in Lucan for the rest of your natural life is the height of class, isn't it? lol!

Guess who has the last laugh now though eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

stuck in the middle w/ the rest o u bourgeois twats :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Upper / Under I.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Tryst

I don't fit into any of those catagories.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

But its British, not you who opressed half of the world (including Ireland)...i prefer placid savages over land greedy nobels. :D

Here, we have land greedy knobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

This children is the perfect example of a fail thread.The lists above are comically stereotyped *sigh* :p

I know many who think a certain person i know is quite wealthy because of the size of their house...what they fail to realise is the person has a 900k morgage and can barley afford the payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Plebs

And why do you think people should not be equal?

You think people should be equal, when it's clear that people aren't equal. We all have our talents and we all have crosses to bear. Some people are good at maths, others are good at playing the piano. Some people run companies with €100m turnovers, others screw widgets on a production line all day. Some people live honourable and respectable family lives, others decide to have affairs when they hit 45.

The fact that some people are wealthier than others is not necessarily a bad thing. If you valued the entire nation at say, a zillion Euro and divided it up amongst 4 million people, giving them all €1m each, it wouldn't be long before the equilibrium restored itself. All the pikeys would go out and buy themselves tellies, new cars, holidays and booze and expect the responsible people to pay for them when they need a liver transplant.

The most important thing in this life is to do good and do what is right. Death is the only equality that you can be assured of, so in one sense, you're right: we are all equal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

You think people should be equal, when it's clear that people aren't equal. We all have our talents and we all have crosses to bear. Some people are good at maths, others are good at playing the piano. Some people run companies with €100m turnovers, others screw widgets on a production line all day. Some people live honourable and respectable family lives, others decide to have affairs when they hit 45.

The fact that some people are wealthier than others is not necessarily a bad thing. If you valued the entire nation at say, a zillion Euro and divided it up amongst 4 million people, giving them all €1m each, it wouldn't be long before the equilibrium restored itself. All the pikeys would go out and buy themselves tellies, new cars, holidays and booze and expect the responsible people to pay for them when they need a liver transplant.

The most important thing in this life is to do good and do what is right. Death is the only equality that you can be assured of, so in one sense, you're right: we are all equal.

I must say, you are ridiculously eloquent, for a troll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

a zillion Euro and divided it up amongst 4 million people, giving them all €1m

Where would the rest of it go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Plebs

Seloth wrote: »
    Where would the rest of it go?

The Zionist bankers. They're always on the lookout for a gullible and/or cooperative government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

You sound like me when I was 14 and first discovered RATM, Manic Street Preachers, Bob Marley and weed all at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I like how nobody Thanked the first one, but 2 people thanked the one explaining the joke :p

I was sitting here going yer one looks well in that picture. What's her name again? **** it. What's her ****ing name (expletives courtesy of my lack of class) and then I saw the answer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Royalty (titled, polo, royal enclosures, personal tailor, servants, estate in country with 10,000s, town house in London). ~0.01% of population.

Are we still in Ireland ?

Anyway to answer your question troll OP , I am pure class except Mondays I can be a bit of a div on a Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I don't really fall into a single class, I'm tactical and like to hold ground but I'm not into sniping. I'm probably heavy support if anything but I'll roll up the sleeves and run and gun if that's what's needed :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

You sound like me when I was 14 and first discovered RATM, Manic Street Preachers, Bob Marley and weed all at the same time!

Played every morning on my way into my Corporate job :o

I do it for the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Royalty (titled, polo, royal enclosures, personal tailor, servants, estate in country with 10,000s, town house in London). ~0.01% of population.

Upper class (educated at private school, at least 3 generations of wealth in family, educated at red-brick university, has a country cottage, likes art, music, high culture, fine food, very discreet). ~0.3% of population.

Upper middle class (doctors, barristers, engineers, managers, administrators, professors earning €150k plus. D4/D6/Howth/Dalkey/etc.) ~0.7% of population.
    Middle class (€50k to €100k, family history not really relevant, own house, pension, holidays twice a year, 2008 Ford Mondeo, university educated). ~4% of population.
    Lower middle class (€30k to €50k, owns flat/rents, implementer/functionary, may not have degree/diploma, travels by bus, MBNA credit card). ~25% of population.

Upper working class (50k+, owns house, drives big car, self-made man/woman, holidays in Costa del Sol, no university education, 2008 Isuzu D-Max in driveway). ~15% of population.
    Working class (€25 to €50k, drinks in the local, loves watching sport on the telly, holidays once a year, probably works for the Corpo). ~25% of the population.
    Lower working class (factory worker, labourer, works with hands, not the brightest, lives for the weekend) ~10% of population

Underclass I (single mothers, long-term unemployed, totally dependent on the State) ~10% of population
    Underclass II (prisoners, junkies, criminals) ~3% of population

I am a privately educated unemployed barrister. I drive a ford mondeo and live in a flat in cavan. I drink in the local, and live for the weekend. I am a single parent with a drug habit on prescription meds

WHAT AM I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I'm crass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

jessiejam wrote: »
    I am a privately educated unemployed barrister. I drive a ford mondeo and live in a flat in cavan. I drink in the local, and live for the weekend. I am a single parent with a drug habit on prescription meds

WHAT AM I?

A TD?

Advertisement