Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray dog

Options
  • 17-08-2010 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

So there is a stray dog on my road. He is hanging around a house but he has no color and he seems scared/agitated. I've approached him already but he is scared and ran away and also barked aggressively. Should I call someone and if so who?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Call your local rescue or SPCA. Don't call the dog warden as the dog may well end up dead. Take some pics of the dog so that the rescue will recognise it.

If he is hanging around a particular house there may be a reason. Have you been to the house & asked. Being in bad condition with no collar does not always mean stray - might just be a bad owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Where is he? Could you contain him? What type of dog is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Discodog wrote: »
    Don't call the dog warden as the dog may well end up dead.

Not all councils euthanise strays. Depending on where you are, call the warden and have it looked after. Not only for the fact that they owner MAY be looking for it, and a pound is the obvious place to look. But the dog maybe a danger to traffic, and sounds like it needs to be looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Thanks for replying. The dog is a German Shepherd.

I was driving on my road when I saw him and was worried he might get run over. I went down to him on foot after getting home.

He seemed very agitated, running one way and then the other. When I approached him he was very defensive so I went back home and posted to you guys. I then went back but I couldn't find him. I really should have knocked on a few doors but I was convinced he was a stray. TBH I'm not sure why I didn't.

I asked my sister about him and she says she was walking by the house a few days ago and saw a German Shepherd on the wall. It was the same house I talked about earlier. It seems that he jumped over the wall and couldn't get back in as the walls are low on the inside but high outside. I thought the house was vacant but I guess someone has now moved in.

I can only assume that his owners found him and let him back inside. I will call down tonight just to make sure.

Advertisement