Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need to boost signal

Options
  • 17-08-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭

so here the story iam geting vd broad in to the house this week some time and will need to boost the signal as i play xbox live upstairs in the study/games room.

i will prob use the router that vd gave me i also have a bt voyger 2100 and a d llink router.i have a phone connection in my room as well as down stairs.what is the best way of going about boosting the snigsl??

can i bounce the signal of say the router in the room to the one downstairs to make is stronger??

as i want to have good coverage downstairs aswell.

or would i be better off geting a decent router to do this for me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

first question what is vd broad?

do you have a wireless network setup now which you can connect to upstairs.
    because you may not need to boost the signal.

it is possible to repeat the signal on some routers but this will half the speed of the connection when connected to the repeating router.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-pl-85pe-mk2.htm

these might be worth looking into, pretty handy than worrying about xbox wifing

i was going to get a pair of these till i just decided to get the whole network wireless N, but would definitly opt for these if the router we had didnt jsut suck and need upgrading anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

dunworth1 wrote: »
    first question what is vd broad?

do you have a wireless network setup now which you can connect to upstairs.
    because you may not need to boost the signal.

it is possible to repeat the signal on some routers but this will half the speed of the connection when connected to the repeating router.

sorry that was ment to be vodafone broadband i am still waiting for it to be activated(broadband) as i only ordered it last week some time so as of now i dont no what it is like.i have set up a wireless vodafone network in my brothers house (my house is pretty much the same lay out)its all working fine, its when your up stairs the snigal drops a lot so i juat want to boost it to want it is downstairs.

i have no problem spending money on a good router if it will do the job.

is the signal is dropping completely upstairs or are you just losing bars.

if you are thinking of upgrading to N remember that having you network n is only better when all devices connecting to it are N devices

if its dropping completely then i would be suggesting homeplugs
    which work by sending the internet connection trough you houses electricity wires.

if the router you have has removable antennas then you could buy a more powerful one which would help extend the range of the network

it would be best to wait until you have it all setup first before you do anything. because as i said before you may not need to do anything.

you can still test the wireless connection of the router without having the internet installed by setting it up and connecting to it up stairs i know you wont have access to the internet but you will be connected to the network.

if you are still looking into repeating the wireless signal have a look here

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

dunworth1 wrote: »
    is the signal is dropping completely upstairs or are you just losing bars.

if you are thinking of upgrading to N remember that having you network n is only better when all devices connecting to it are N devices

if its dropping completely then i would be suggesting homeplugs
    which work by sending the internet connection trough you houses electricity wires.

if the router you have has removable antennas then you could buy a more powerful one which would help extend the range of the network

it would be best to wait until you have it all setup first before you do anything. because as i said before you may not need to do anything.

you can still test the wireless connection of the router without having the internet installed by setting it up and connecting to it up stairs i know you wont have access to the internet but you will be connected to the network.

if you are still looking into repeating the wireless signal have a look here

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

it just loses bars.if i have to routers routers would that boost it
    and do they have to be the same make??

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    it just loses bars.if i have to routers routers would that boost it
    and do they have to be the same make??

if its just loosing bars then it still might be fine unless its down to the very last bar i have two three bars in my room upstairs in my house and my connection works fine

i dont think they have to be the same make just have to support dd-wrt
    you can check here http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

also note that it is fairly hard to set it up.

thanks dunworth ill just see how it goes so when i get connected

no problem kev glad to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Plebs

You need a repeater.

I have one set up. Bought a linksys in the electronics shop in the Jervis Street and installed dd-wrt.

Advertisement