Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Institute of Education

• 17-08-2010 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

i was seriously thinking bout going but its so intensive and lots of pepole drop out when they get to third level because they cant cope with not being spoon fed and theyre so burt out from the previous year:eek:

ill probs take grinds there this year though. :o:o
    teachers are meant to be amazing especially <name snipped - please do not name people on boards>.

you can do well anywhere if you are prepared to work anyway. the work wont just float into your head coz your in a good school. but if your a poor student and want beter grades and willing to be pushed its probs the best place to go:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭lucybrown

go to the institute if you will work and not piss around! you have alot of freedom in that place and with town being right beside it that cant help! just dont waste your parents money if you think you would put your head down and work and not get distracted by new friends..partys...town etc then your probs ok! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

lucybrown wrote: »
    go to the institute if you will work and not piss around! you have alot of freedom in that place and with town being right beside it that cant help! just dont waste your parents money if you think you would put your head down and work and not get distracted by new friends..partys...town etc then your probs ok! :)
    She's not asking for advice on whether to go or not, just giving her opinion on hte place:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

If I could turn back the years of time I will. Go to the institue. My mate went there and the help he gave me was so much more than my teachers. Go there if you want to pass.
    They use notes. They don't mess around. It's hard work but it's worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I would kill to go to the institute. My teachers are so ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

If i don't get my course I'm repeating in the institute... I don't really want to have to go is all though lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Going to the Institute was the best decision I ever made. The perception that students are spoon fed by teachers is untrue, in fact I found that the way I was thought by the teachers was the perfect preparation for college. It can be intensive at times but then again no more intensive than if you were to work hard in any school. Imo students are better off doing 5th and 6th year there rather than just 5th year, as the classes are smaller sizes and you will cover every subjects course twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Going to the Institute was the best decision I ever made. The perception that students are spoon fed by teachers is untrue, in fact I found that the way I was thought by the teachers was the perfect preparation for college. It can be intensive at times but then again no more intensive than if you were to work hard in any school. Imo students are better off doing 5th and 6th year there rather than just 5th year, as the classes are smaller sizes and you will cover every subjects course twice.

Funny going to the institute was the worst decision I ever made, I'm someone who actually has to know things, not recite them, and being handed reams of notes and told to learn them off just did not suit me. I had one or two exceptional teachers, the rest were exceptionally useless, as a result subjects that were assured As in 5th year became possible fails in the institute. After going there I had to repeat in a normal school, it went brilliantly and I'm feeling quite confident about tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

going to the insititue was the best choice i ever made! ment to just go for 6th year and they recomended i repeated 5th year so i did and wow not only did i love the school and all the people i met i did 100times better then i ever would of done in the my old school!! i was a messer and never did any work in my old school but movin to the tute i had no choice but to do work! theres something about it that makes you want to do the work your asked to do and study! bottom line is in my old school for 5th year my summer exams i totaled about 10points then by the second time i did 5th year(mostly new subjects to) i totaled 205 by the time i did my leaving i got 350! i no there not huge point but what a difference!! the tute was the best 2 years of my life!!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

i went to the tute for 6th year and repeat. first year i was sick and missed alot of school so cant blame having to repeaton them. imo it is an amazing school. i loved it. as for being spoon fed yes they only teach you what's relevant and cut out the crap. they do not explain things much so if you need help that way dont go there, if you need people to push you to work hard dont go there. it's great for people that are self motivated and can work quickly. alot of people say they hate all the learning off stuff, well i did too but if you can keep up with the classes you'll find learning off pretty easy. the lc is a learning off exam. i got 590 and cant remember half of the stuff i learned now. i'm not worried about college, people are worried that the tute doesnt teach people to learn or something? that would be being spoonfed imo, i can figure that out on my own

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ash.c

Bumpin this up..
    Thinking of going to the Institute for 6th year, in 5th year now and really dont think i'll get the points i want in my school now.
    Be greatful if anyone could PM me with their experience, would they recommend it, any tips or even anyone who will be in 6th year next year.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

I didn't go to the institute, but I did go there for a Christmas revision course for history. I studied history outside school on my own as there was no class for my year. I found it fantastic. the notes were brilliant and the teacher was brilliant. I got all the info I needed and I worked hard that week and used those notes.
    Maybe it is an idea to go to the institute, but I say you'd be fine in a normal school and then if at christmas in lc you need a bit of extra help in a subject or 2, go for the revision course.

My parents are considering sending me to the institute next year, but I'm not sure about the price and one or two other things. How is English, Irish and Maths taught? I'm worried all you do is learn by heart (like word for word) essays and I'm like physically incapable of doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

My parents are considering sending me to the institute next year, but I'm not sure about the price and one or two other things. How is English, Irish and Maths taught? I'm worried all you do is learn by heart (like word for word) essays and I'm like physically incapable of doing that.

Every subject there is taught excellently and the Irish, English and Maths teachers are the best their profession has to offer in this country. Learn what they teach you, study it hard and you get the grades. There's a lot of learning required, not word for word per se, but that's the nature of education: learn and you get the grades, don't learn and you don't.

In the Institute all courses are covered thoroughly in the class room but unless you're prepared to put in the hard hours in the study hall learning the material you've covered and practicing exam questions ad nauseam you're wasting your time and your parents hard earned money.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    If i don't get my course I'm repeating in the institute... I don't really want to have to go is all though lol

Its not worth it. Don't do it. I know from experience!!

English is taught in 4 parts. (i don't do it) Paper 1, poetry, comparative and hamlet. You have one class each week and it lasts 1 hour. You can have a different teacher for each one. The choice is yours. I know people with triple english some days. its just the way it works out.

Irish (i don't do it) all i know is you have 4 classes a week (of 1 hour) and there is only 1 honours irish teacher afaik.

Maths - You have 4 classes a week with the same teacher. Its taught well but you sorta fly through thinks yet you cover everything necessary. Tests every three weeks or so. For any problems there is a tutorial class every week.

If your wondering about learning off by heart the maths teacher really encourages being able to understand what your doing. Makes it easier to remember and stuff.

They supply you with what you need to do well and even have a 7 day a week study hall. You just have to utilise it. (sounds easy when i put it like that but its far from it!)

That doesn't sound too bad, I have no problem learning stuff off like phrases I just can't reproduce 6 page essays, and I was worried thats how they would do English and Irish. Do you find the trip in and out of town every day very tiring/time consuming or is it just something you get used to?

That doesn't sound too bad, I have no problem learning stuff off like phrases I just can't reproduce 6 page essays, and I was worried thats how they would do English and Irish. Do you find the trip in and out of town every day very tiring/time consuming or is it just something you get used to?

well you can start at 8:30 or 9:30. I have one half 8 start. There great, wish I had done more of them. You lose an hour or so in bed in d morning but you gain another hours study in the evening.

I take the bus some days but i mainly walk. it takes me roughly half an hour. so thats an hour round trip. not bad! In fact its better than taking the bus IMO. Not time consuming at all compared to my old school. i don't think its tiring. Depend where your coming from. I know this girl who comes in from Meath every day and has to get up at 6 a.m. if you don't have to do that you will be fine.

Well the leaving cert english course is a rather large memory test. you do sort of have to learn off essays to some extent. I did (guess thats why i'm repeating :P )

I don't really know how the tute teaches English though so don't take my word for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

They don't expect you to learn word for word. It's a fairly stressful year if you study from the start so be warned. You'll have tests in every subject almost everyweek, if not every week, on what you did the period just before. Then Christmas tests, mocks, etc. PM me if ye want :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

English is fantastic. I was a D student in 5th year and I've only gotten mock paper 1 back, but I got a B2. I'm delighted. My poetry marks shot up and I understand comparative like never before. I'm not sure about Hamlet because I still struggle with it but I didn't do it last year so I'm not sure how it compares to my old school. I haven't memorised a single essay this year. There isn't a lot of rote learning and the teachers really discourage this. You still memorise some things, like phrases in French or certain sentences in English.

I'm not sure about Irish. I do OL and I'm aiming for a C2, just so I can scrape the minimum requirements. You do HL, right? I've been told the teacher is good but some of her notes are a little iffy in spots. But the person who told me this speaks fluent Irish and is highly critical of everyone's Irish.

I have to say I find travelling exhausting. There is no way I could walk as I have to get two or three buses each way. 8:30 classes are the bane of my existance as I have to be up at 6 and leave on time. I only have one a week (Monday) but I'm in until 5 so I am exhausted by the end of the day. I get very little study done on Mondays. There are built in study periods into your day which is brilliant as you can study before the rest of the day tires you out.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more information or if you want advice on teachers and stuff :) I don't think I can name teachers on here but there are some I'd highly recommend and others that I would pass on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 S.T.I.D

I'm ment to be going to the institute for my whole leaving cert course, money isn't an issue for me at all, but I seriously under performed for me jc because I didn't take it very seriously and didn't tend to get hung up over it just waiting to do my lc to get properly into things, I was on contract going into fourth year and left by mutual consent rather than being expelled, but im kind of worried for my interview now early next year, will they look to my old school ( which was a state school) for a reference? And what's the interview like in general? Any help appreciated

• Advertisement
Advertisement