Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifying in Australia

Options
  • 17-08-2010 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I am an Irish law graduate with a 2.1 LLB. I was wondering does any1 know the process of qualifying as a solicitor in Oz and how the legal market is doing over there. I dont see the point in doing fe1s of even the LPC in the UK. any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mut

As you haven't done Blackhall yet I dunno if this is much use to you but there was a talk about this recently in the Law Society (there prob will be more so you should keep an eye out).

Basically to qualify as a solicitor in Oz, you need to have a law degree, completed your training over here (as in completed PPCI and PPCII and done your in house training), have practiced as a solicitor in Ireland for at least three months under a practising certificate and then you must pass I think its about 4-5 exams in Oz (in New South Wales it use to be you had to do less exams but that has changed, all areas now have the same requirements but apparently our Law Soc and NSW Law Soc have very good relationship).

Law Soc trying to get the requirements reduced but that won't happen for years yet.

There is some demand over in Oz at the mo but we are not on the 'wanted list' over there yet. The Oz Law Soc carried out a survey recently where only about 25% replied but showed a demand for at least 200 solicitors- rural areas mainly- outside the big cities- on this basis they believe about 2000 jobs there potentially. The Law Soc is liasing with the Oz Law Soc to establish a database of firms over there willing to take on Irish graduates from Blackhall. Basically you use this database to org interviews, get job as legal researcher, they like you offer you position as solicitor and to sponsor you on 4 year visa and you do the qualification exams.

Advertisement