Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computers?

• 17-08-2010 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Am just wondering what computers you all use on your bikes. The range out there is staggering. Currently have a €20 from Aldi but find it a) a bit hard to read when out and b) a bit fiddley.

The price range is also fairly vast, from 20 quid to 200 - 300!!! Are the really pricy one worth the money?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I have a basic BBB wireless one. I just break them so I buy basic.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

On the flip side I used to use relatively basic CatEye ones but having gotten a Garmin I wouldn't go back now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

CheGuedara wrote: »
    On the flip side I used to use relatively basic CatEye ones but having gotten a Garmin I wouldn't go back now

Be interested to hear about the Garmin. What one did you go for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I recently bought a Polar CS200CAD after using a Cataeye Strada Cadence for a few months. Find the HR data to be very useful and the ability to download info about rides is good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I just break them so I buy basic.

That sounds Present Continuous, rather than Past Tense. How does one continually break them? :pac:

I've got a Polar CS300 and though it's not the most elegant beast on the bike, the watch strap means I can get it attached securely and just how I like it each time. I've never used a Garmin, but from what I have, I'd consider HR first, cadence second and then other general functions after that. It's good to see them altogether though to get a good idea of what you're at.

• Advertisement

snollup wrote: »
    Be interested to hear about the Garmin. What one did you go for?

I have the Edge 500, and I've very happy with it.

It does everthing that you might want from a bike computer for training. It will work with garmins HR and cadence sensors - the cadence sensor being the only part of the package I've had issues with, (and replaced gratis by Garmin) - show you what data you want on the road over three pages and afterwards allows you to analyze your ride on Garmin Connect/Training Center, Ridewithgps, Strava etc.

If you're starting out using all this information for training it can be a bit of a data overload (was for me initially) but it's a very good tool for charting your training and improvement over time.

The only thing you wont get on it over the more expensive 605 and 705 models is mapping, but so long as you don't need to be lead places you've never been then that shouldn't be an issue (that said you can upload courses onto it which it will guide you around by following a line)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

The Polar CS200cad gets some great reviews seems fairly good value for the price (~ €125 me thinks).

If I was going for a Garmin I think I would have to go the whole hog & go for one with GPS. I'd find it hard to spend that much cash on one though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

I'm in a similar situation - My cheapo Lidl computer gave up recently so I'm looking for a decent replacement. I can't really stretch to a Garmin, but HRM would be nice.

I don't want to hijack the thread but I've been considering this as a possibility:

Sigma Sport BC1909

Any thoughts, anyone? Bike24 seem to have good prices for Sigma stuff (€79.90 + €10.00 P&P for that one).

snollup wrote: »
    The Polar CS200cad gets some great reviews seems fairly good value for the price (~ €125 me thinks).

If I was going for a Garmin I think I would have to go the whole hog & go for one with GPS. I'd find it hard to spend that much cash on one though!

Just in case you got me wrong - the EDGE 500 is GPS. The EDGE 605/705 can give turn by turn directions if you need it to guide you somewhere - that would be the major difference in function. However it comes at the cost of size,weight, battery life etc so it's a good idea to decide what you want/need from a bike computer before departing with yer hard earned cash

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Garmin 705 for the Road bike - I've been using this for over a year now, without major problems.

Garmin 500 for the track bike (don't need the mapping, as so far I've managed to avoid getting lost on the track!) - again no problems

Oh, and the Saris Joule for more detailed power information ....

Are they worth the money? Yes, if you can afford them, no if you can't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I recently bought the Polar CS400 and added a cadence speed sensor for two bikes (€280 all in from CSS). I'm used to looking at a big speed dial so it's taking a while to get used to reading the small numbers on the screen while pedaling. I downloaded two commuting trips to Polar Personal Trainer (annoyingly you need an infrared sensor on PC) and saw cool graphs I have yet to decipher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

i gave the cateye strade wired and its great easy to read, easy to use and has various data for usage on the bike. a basic but complete bike computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

bought a second hand bike with a computer on it. no make or model name on it! seems good.
    does average speed, max speed, current speed, calories burned, temperatue and heart rate(doesnt work-obviously missing the connection to the computer.)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Reading the reviews here with interest.

Is the CS200 mounted on the rear wheel? Thinking about use with the turbo for the winter months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

edge 500 , cant wiat to get home and download the jura alps climbs i did this week (gradient function seems flakey though usually fine but it did get confused sometimes, ramping up to 50% at times and i certainly wasnt cycling up anything that steep)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

I've owned a Cateye, Polar, Garmin. Cateye's are good and basic, polar are in a unfortunate middle ground and Garmin's are little beasts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

http://redkiteprayer.com/?p=3302

How many of us are guilty of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Reading the reviews here with interest.

Is the CS200 mounted on the rear wheel? Thinking about use with the turbo for the winter months.

It's front wheel mounted - I think you might need to go wired to get a rear wheel mounted computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

i made this one! http://www.mobihand.com/product.asp?id=69752&n=BBSpeedOMeter

works on blackberry phones, have it mounted to the handlebars. :D

http://twitpic.com/2659l2

can take calls/texts/emails on the go! workin from homes not a problem anymore :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I've got a Polar CS300 and though it's not the most elegant beast on the bike, the watch strap means I can get it attached securely and just how I like it each time. I've never used a Garmin, but from what I have, I'd consider HR first, cadence second and then other general functions after that. It's good to see them altogether though to get a good idea of what you're at.
    I've the previous version of that, I think, the S710, and while it was pricey enough, its been going 8 years now. My wife has a Garmin Edge 205, and while its not bad, it takes an age to "aquire satellites", which is a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

i made this one! http://www.mobihand.com/product.asp?id=69752&n=BBSpeedOMeter

works on blackberry phones, have it mounted to the handlebars. :D

http://twitpic.com/2659l2

can take calls/texts/emails on the go! workin from homes not a problem anymore :D

Blackberries (of the electronic sort) do not like water. I killed one keeping it in a jersey pocket on a ride with one light shower.

i got caught in that rain we got about 3 weeks commin from glencree across to johnnyfoxes (ya know where ya go up that big mad hill with the 3 really steep turns) ha dto go thru 2 floods upto me knees blackberry strapped to the handle bars no rain cover of any sory on it and it was grand. wouldnt do it again tho

actuall theres only 2 steep turns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 John Luke

As the price goes up, it usually means it has more features, in my experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

John Luke wrote: »
    As the price goes up, it usually means it has more features, in my experience

You realise this thread is 5 years old?

Advertisement