Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much would you pay for cigarettes?

• 17-08-2010 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭

I've been working in a local shop for a couple of years now. Every time the price of cigarettes has gone up people have complained but a few weeks later it's almost as if it never happened.

The last big jump was from around €7.50 to €8.50, I think.

So, to the smokers out there: how much would you pay for a packet of cigarettes?

How much would you pay for a pack of cigarretes? 22 votes

€8.50
    0% 0 votes
    €9.00
    54% 12 votes
    €9.50
    18% 4 votes
    €10.00
    13% 3 votes
    €10+
    13% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭klose

Dont smoke myself but could see people quitting if it ever went past the 10 euro mark, just something about the double figure might really hit home with people.

But then again theres always people around here selling 200s off the back of a truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Dont smoke myself but could see people quitting if it ever went past the 10 euro mark, just something about the double figure might really hit home with people.

I think the exact same myself. If they ever went that high I could see some people actually quitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    So, to the smokers out there: how much would you pay for a packet of cigarettes?
    There you go - Smoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I said if they went to more than a fiver, I'd give them up. Then I said I'd give them up when I had kids. Then I said I'd give up when I turned 30.

I'm 33 with 2 kids and I pay €8.55 a pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I think a tenner would see a lot of people look at packing them in. Problem is if they go that high the black market for smokes will be huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

lord lucan wrote: »
    I think a tenner would see a lot of people look at packing them in. Problem is if they go that high the black market for smokes will be huge.

Will be huge?
    Its massive already!
    €40 for 200 or €8.55 for 20, its a no-brainer really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

lord lucan wrote: »
    I know what you mean, but I said that I'd give up drink when Guinness hit £1.00 a pint. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I try to get as many cartons as I can when on holiday so that helps.
    Also stopped giving strangers fags now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I didn't really think of the black market trade or getting them abroad.

For the sake of the poll lets just say that you can't get them cheaper in other places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,935 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get the boxes of Golden Virgina for €4.20 atm. Usually lasts me a week. Thinking of getting a few packets from an online store in Spain with my next pay check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,935 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

€20 a pack would probably do it.

Convinced that the government have calculated the annual cost of treating smoking relate illnesses compared to the revenue they receive per annum. Based on that they are willing to keep the price at a level which means that the entire coutry does not get them via the black market.

Ciggarettes in Ireland are the most expensive in Europe. Total cash cow for the government here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

I stopped buying them when they started charging more than 7.50 for a pack, now I smoke rolllies except when I come into some duty free smokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I never counted, actually. 4 a day, maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

i rarely buy cigarettes anymore
    i'm trying to grow my own

and yesterday i paid 9 65 for a pack of american spirit
    but it's the same tobacco i'm trying to grow so it was an investment :P

Advertisement