Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Download limit

• 17-08-2010 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I got a letter recently saying that I was downloading to much and other customers were finding it hard to download, now I'm on the 30meg speed unlimited downloading, but they said that I can only download 250gb a month (alot I know), so was just wondering I thought unlimited meant unlimited.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

there's a fair usage policy in the t+c. it's ****e but that's how it is. complain to the advertising watchdog (or whatever we call it) about the use of "unlimited". they don't seem to care much though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Comreg says that if there is a limit, it should be clearly stated. "Unlimited" in description of ANY internet package unless you can go at max speed 24x7 without limit every month, is not unlimited.

250Gbyte is excellent. But not remotely "unlimited".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the same thing comes up here almost daily. as has been said, it's not right that they can do that but nobody seems to want to do anything about it.

everyone is hoping that UPC are going to increase the limit when they do the imminent upgrades to 100mbps (looks like either this month or next), but there's no guarantees that they'll do anything either way.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

PAU wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I got a letter recently saying that I was downloading to much and other customers were finding it hard to download, now I'm on the 30meg speed unlimited downloading, but they said that I can only download 250gb a month (alot I know), so was just wondering I thought unlimited meant unlimited.

Cheers.

As well as choosing to disregard the English language and their own Terms and Conditions UPC also chose to ignore the following from Comreg's site

(http://www.askcomreg.ie/home/my_service_provider_has_advertised_an_%22unlimited_package%22___what_does_this_mean_for_me.5.154.LE.asp)
    My Service Provider has advertised an "unlimited package" - what does this mean for me?

A number of telephone and broadband packages being offered are described as ‘unlimited’. In this context the word ‘unlimited’ would normally be taken to mean that a subscriber, having agreed to pay a set price, may make as many calls or spend as much time online as he or she wishes. However, some service contracts qualify the meaning of ‘unlimited’ by stating that it is subject to an ‘acceptable’ or ‘fair’ level of use by the subscriber. This is referred to as a “fair usage policy” in some advertising.

ComReg would like to advise consumers that any provision of a contract which sets usage thresholds, or describes what constitutes ‘fair’ or ‘acceptable’ use, should be clear and unambiguous, particularly where the service is described as being ‘unlimited’.

Usage thresholds or limits should be clearly set out, as should the manner in which they may be updated or amended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Sigh, do I have to be the only level headed person on the board?!!:(

Once again, every one of ye refuses to point out that it doesn't effect all customers.
    Everytime one of these threads the same posters come in and say the same things.
    Then I come in and pont out that it doesn't effect all customers, and only those in areas with heavy users.
    And I get ignored, and it starts all over again!

OP.

If you live in an area that is experiencing high utilization, UPC will check their network.
    They will find all users in the area that are using more than 250 and tell them to go down to less than that.

If you live in an area with low utilization, UPC won't blink if you use 500GB for instance.
    Because it makes no difference to them, or other customers.

UPC are able to call it "unlimited", rightly or wrongly, cause it's not an arbitrary amount.
    Lots of their customers are able to download more than 250GB etc.

And despite how certain people blame UPC from everyting from the black death to global warming, UPC have no say over who lives in your area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

dub45 wrote: »
    As well as choosing to disregard the English language and their own Terms and Conditions UPC also chose to ignore the following from Comreg's site

(http://www.askcomreg.ie/home/my_service_provider_has_advertised_an_%22unlimited_package%22___what_does_this_mean_for_me.5.154.LE.asp)

UPC say that the pack is subject to an AUP.
    They say that their pack is for residential customers.
    The minimum anyone is effected is 250GB.

So with the average residential user using a fraction of that, and only the top 2% or so going over 250, UPC saying that they would not consider 250GB+ as normal residential usage, then they are right.

So there is noting in your Comreg quote that indicates a problem for UPC.

Even if 10% of UPC customers were effected, it wouldn't be the average.
    2% of customers would constitute a tiny majority, so not "normal".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

i got a letter from them like that when i was on 3mb...kept pleading the landlord to upgrade to 15 mb unlimited...

though they issues a letter that they will put me on 15 if i keep using it that way :) so they did :) i was happy ;) landlord wasn't :) win win :D

though never got any warnings after

Sigh, do I have to be the only level headed person on the board?!!:(

Once again, every one of ye refuses to point out that it doesn't effect all customers.
    Everytime one of these threads the same posters come in and say the same things.
    Then I come in and pont out that it doesn't effect all customers, and only those in areas with heavy users.
    And I get ignored, and it starts all over again!

OP.

If you live in an area that is experiencing high utilization, UPC will check their network.
    They will find all users in the area that are using more than 250 and tell them to go down to less than that.

If you live in an area with low utilization, UPC won't blink if you use 500GB for instance.
    Because it makes no difference to them, or other customers.

Lots of their customers are able to download more than 250GB etc.

And despite how certain people blame UPC from everyting from the black death to global warming, UPC have no say over who lives in your area.

So in other words the extent of UPC's deceiving of customers depends on the area they live in:rolleyes:
    UPC are able to call it "unlimited", rightly or wrongly, cause it's not an arbitrary amount.

Well if it is not an "arbitrary amount" then it must be quantifiable?

A quantifiable amount would be regarded by many people as a "cap"

UPC say that the pack is subject to an AUP.
    They say that their pack is for residential customers.
    The minimum anyone is effected is 250GB.

So with the average residential user using a fraction of that, and only the top 2% or so going over 250, UPC saying that they would not consider 250GB+ as normal residential usage, then they are right.

So there is noting in your Comreg quote that indicates a problem for UPC.

Even if 10% of UPC customers were effected, it wouldn't be the average.
    2% of customers would constitute a tiny majority, so not "normal".

I haven't got the foggiest notion of what you are attempting to get at here.
    Comreg make no mention of "residential" "average" "normal usage" "normal"

There is a simple statement with no qualification:

ComReg would like to advise consumers that any provision of a contract which sets usage thresholds, or describes what constitutes ‘fair’ or ‘acceptable’ use, should be clear and unambiguous, particularly where the service is described as being ‘unlimited’.

Usage thresholds or limits should be clearly set out, as should the manner in which they may be updated or amended.

It could not be clearer what is required of any company which offers an "unlimited" product with an aup.

And if you look hard enough on the upc webiste you will find this:
    All broadband services are subject to our acceptable usage policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

sorry, but you're getting ignored because you're wrong, no matter how much you want it to be otherwise and that isn't going to change just because you keep saying it over and over.

every argument you keep putting forward is in direct contradiction with point 3 below (not to mention points 1 & 2), therefore making UPC's definition of the word 'unlimited' incorrect.

un·lim·it·ed   [uhn-lim-i-tid] –adjective
    1. not limited; unrestricted; unconfined: unlimited trade.
    2. boundless; infinite; vast: the unlimited skies.
    3. without any qualification or exception; unconditional.

add that to dub45's quote from comreg, and UPC (and your argument for them) don't have a leg to stand on.

i totally agree with you that UPC has no power over where any of us live, but what they do have is power over their T&C's and AUP and their total lack of advertising what the AUP is to their customers as they are legally obliged to do.

find us somewhere in any official UPC documentation that is publicly available where all UPC customers can read exactly what their AUP limit is and we'll all bow to your superiority and admit that we're all wrong and that you're the best thing since sliced broadband. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement