Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bed dug, how to backfill?

Options
  • 17-08-2010 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Just had a bed finished at the weekend. It had a couple of inches of soil before rubble and hardcore were hit so it all had to come out. The depth of the bed is 12 inches and it will be raised by 6 from the lawn level.
    What i want to know now is what backfill the bed with ? Should it be all Topsoil or half Subsoil and Half Topsoil or should i have a layer of rocks/rubble at the bottom for drainage?
    The bed will be a mixed border so a small tree or two some shrubs and flowers?
    Looking for advice as its being loaded up tomorrow evening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I found this article very helpful

I'm putting a layer of hardcore along the base as well as a perforated pipe for drainage.

From this pipe I'll then have another pipe perpendicular to it sloped away so that the water will run into the middle of the lawn. For prep for the lawn I had two French drains so I'll direct it into one of those.

Advertisement