Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Access to Science Lecture

Options
  • 17-08-2010 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I applied for this course and have been invited to a lecture next week and have to write a summary afterwards. Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for this please? I don't know what to expect and have'nt been in a science class for a few years. Will I find it difficult:eek:? Has anyone here applied for this also or in previous years? Any information will be extremely helpful.

Ta.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Hey Maggsie,
    I can't offer any advice unfortunately, but I'll be at the lecture too so see you there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maggsie

Cool, see you there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I've been invited to this lecture too!!

My husband completed the Access to Science and Engineering course the year before last, he starts his second year of Engineering in a couple of weeks.

He really enjoyed the access course, and as someone who never really tried at school and didn't get great results, he did REALLY well on the access. He was out of school 10 years I think going back to college.

I remember that he couldn't really prepare for the lecture, it was on something really obscure. You just have to take notes and give as much info back in your summary.

If anything, practice a bit of shorthand note taking and maybe look at essay structures. I know you don't have to write an essay as such, but if your summary flows well you're probably going to stand a better chance.

Hope this helps!

See ya next week :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bunny Flask

Im going on Wednesday as well, I'd love to get it but I'd say there will be a fair few there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I did this course the same year as Crazy Cat Lady's husband. The professor gives a talk on something. Was DNA the year I did it. I took down what he said and basically regurgitated it. Can't remember what I wrote, but I got in. :pac:

Be early, sit near the front as it might be hard to hear from further back.

Best of luck. It's a great course to get you into college. I'm going into 2nd year in a couple of weeks. My, how time has flown!! :)

• Advertisement

Whoo hoo, just found out I have a follow up interview next week, how'd the rest of ye get on??

I got word too, next Friday, I hope I don't mess it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Good luck to you both! I withdrew my application for personal reasons.

When my husband had his interview he was basically told that he had a place and that the interview was just to confirm that and to go through the course with you and make sure that you can meet the course requirements/commitments for attendance etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭flay

Hey I was at the lecture also, got called for a interview friday and recieved a email from thomond saying i did very well on my written work!

Good work guys!!!

The interview is mainly to see if you understand what the course entails and that you can make the classes each week as 80% attendance is required to pass the course.

Its a very informal interview just discussing your application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Larianne wrote: »
    Good work guys!!!

The interview is mainly to see if you understand what the course entails and that you can make the classes each week as 80% attendance is required to pass the course.

Its a very informal interview just discussing your application.

sounds good my brother has a interview friday, did you enjoy the course may i ask?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    sounds good my brother has a interview friday, did you enjoy the course may i ask?

Yes I did. The lecturers are very helpful. I really found the study skills classes a great help.

The course definitely prepared me for third level. I think I would be facing repeats this week without the course.

How did everybody get on today? My brother says he was basically offered it.

I think it went well, although it veered between being told I couldn't be guarenteed a place to I was accepted to back again a few times, sure we'll see next week hopefully :)

Hi, I don't really know how it went but Thomond & Professor Harmey were nice, they said they would come back next week.

Fingers crossed

Hi, I don't really know how it went but Thomond & Professor Harmey were nice, they said they would come back next week.

Fingers crossed

well thats what my brother said they said to him we probaly will accept you.

I got offered a place, how did everyone do?

Me too :D See you next week!

Snap, me three. Happy days.

I'm gonna my school bag on Friday:)

good stuff should be a good year, ill try and guess which ones you all are by your user names!

• Advertisement
Advertisement